Longtime Ford driver now in a Tacoma 4x4
By zzbluecomet on
2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
First, I'll say I've driven Fords most my life and some imports. I tried the mini-SUV route and had a Ford Escape for 7 mos. I was in need of a truck, but not a full-size. The F150's are very nice and a natural choice for me but the Tacoma really has fit my needs. The build, detail and quality of this truck is very nice and very solid. I have the Off-Road pkg in Super White and it turns heads and gets lots of comments. I can see why Toyota has run most the other midsize/compact trucks out to pasture - I had a Ranger as my last truck and the Tacoma makes hit look completely out of date.
Favorite Features
The engine is very strong, the bilstein shocks give it a stiffer feel but it rides very nice for an Off-Road equipped vehicle, you feel you can take on anything in this truck. The dash and interior materials are very nice and well designed. Love how the front, inside door panels bow out for more hip and arm room. The bed and rail stystem and other tie-downs are nice. The truck just sits so well, handles well and I've struggled to find much I don't like about it - I now see why Tacoma's resell is so high, they are just one nice truck from the ground up. Rear chrome bumper is sharp.
Suggested Improvements
Can't understand why a moon-foor package wasn't introduced to this truck. Also, the sound-unit is very weak. It plays CD's and FM fair but plug in an MP3 player into the auxiliary jack and the volume is so low you can barely hear it. I'll go aftermarket for a Pioneer deck. Haven't put enough miles to really test the fuel mpg - getting 15-18 so far.