2011 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Awesome Truck
By Peterj6 on 11/13/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have wanted a truck ever since I traded in my trusty 2004 Ranger a couple of years ago. I needed something that would get reasonable mileage and room for 4 adults. This truck nailed it. Was concerned about the seat from prior reviews. I am ok with height but did not feel comfortable until a couple weeks in. What blows me away most is that this truck handles like a car even with the longer bed. Love the XM for rural drives in the Northeast for work. More storage than I will ever need and it is beautifully styled. Mileage is about 17-18 mixed which is pretty good given that I am a lead foot. Only gripe is that for $30K this should have heated mirrors. Even my basic Ranger had that.

High Utility in Smaller Package
By BPark on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned nothing but Ford trucks since 2000, but when looking to replace my 2002 Ranger, which was still screwed together tight, just too small, I looked at the Sport Trac, F150, Frontier, and then finally chose the Tacoma. I have the basic Double Cab 4x4 with the 6 foot bed, mileage is the same as my Super Cab 4x2 Ranger at 19 mpg, tows 6000 lb. The interior is comfortable and appealing, very Camry-like. The ride is smooth, and the truck eminates a quality feel. Although almost as long as a crew cab F150 or Sierra the truck is nimble. My only complaint is the low seating position in the cab. The truck sits up quite high, however the driver is seated much lower than in my shorter Ranger.

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4WD Manual Off-Road
By Tran on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

My truck is 8 weeks old Tacoma. The truck is beautiful but I'm having problem with the engine. I would call it raving problem. The bad thing is it does not happen all the time. Sometimes, when the truck is in neutral, the RPM is jumping up and down between 1 and 2000 rpm. The engine also roars. There is no pattern of when and how it happens. I took it to the dealer and they said the computer chip did not register any problem.. I start feeling regret that I bought it and will be stuck with the problem for a while. With all the negative publicity, I thought Toyota would care enough to have a better quality control.Does anyone out there have the same problem?

Best Truck Ever
By axtran on 10/31/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love the 2011 Tacoma. I went for the biggest 2WD I could get! The 4.0L V6 actually gets better mileage than my old car did (a 4 cyl at that!). The car is very nice for a truck, rides smoothly and the features and creature comforts are wonderful. This Tacoma is pretty large though, almost feels like you're driving a Tundra. Ride isn't bad through California traffic and on California highways.

Love it!
By Bean on 09/14/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Disclosure - I won't buy American. I have owned 2 Rangers, many SUVs, but this is my 1st Tacoma. I LOVE IT!!! This is a daily driver/commuter for me not a work/ranch truck, but I may do light off-roading (hunt/camp). I got the TRD Sport Package w/ JBL - it's perfect (I didn't need JBL, not a "stereo guy" but it is nice.) The ride feels high and solid. I wanted a truck (not a car) so I love the truck feel. The long wheel base and curb weight make for a smooth ride. I don't understand the "road noise" complaint - mine is V-6 & perfectly quiet at 75 mph. Brakes could be better, but no complaint.

First time Toyota owner
By RRamirez on 09/12/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota vehicle. I have owned Ford pick-up trucks for the last 15 years but my 2007 Sport-Trac was falling apart so I decided to try something else. I researched the Frontier and the Tacoma and test drove both. I went with the 2011 Tacoma PreRunner SR5 V6 Access Cab, and I'm glad I did. The Tacoma is definitely more fun to drive than any truck I previously owned. My first 2 weeks I put 1000 miles on the truck. I can't stop driving it! The interior feels "plush" like a car and it handles very refined for city or highway driving but over the hill-country here in Texas you know it's a truck because you can feel it pull it's way up the hills very easily.

Buy It Now
By rrobinson60 on 09/01/10 13:23 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I had a 2008 Nissan Frontier before I got this truck. The need for a change obvious because I really did not like driving it. Fuel economy poor. I did my research and ran across the 2011 Toyota Tacoma. When I saw that it came in a double cab 4 Cyl. I was ecstatic. The truck drives like a car. I am a pretty big guy and I have plenty of head room and leg room. The stereo system is great and it looks much better than the Frontier. I haven't had it long enough to determine the fuel efficiency but I drove it 50 miles the first night and it barely moved off of full. I highly recommend this truck to anyone.

Double Cab TRD sport
By Larkin7788 on 08/16/10 08:53 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I test drove the Frontier before buying the Tacoma, in comparison the Frontier felt more sluggish and had a higher pitched engine note. The interior is surprisingly roomy, and the plastic dash components are solid and the buttons have some texture to them when you push (not simply plastic clicking on plastic). Back-up cam in the rear view mirror is a great idea I probably wont use that often. Tons of storage compartments under the seat and in the bed. Ride is surprisingly smooth and quiet, too easy to hit 75 mph, yet you still feel like you are in a truck. Refined everyday pavement driver that still made me feel in control as I raced through a field (it's new I'm not getting too intense, YET!)

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$120 per month*