2011 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Does The Job
By mitchelld on 07/03/11 19:36 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Previously owned a Ford F150 with V-8. After 7 years, I made the decision to 'down size' to the Tacoma. The Ford was more comfortable and much easier to get in/out of. Additionally, (and somewhat incredibly) the Tacoma only delivers about 1.5 better MPG. However, the Tacoma is much easier to park in tight spaces and rides on a par with the larger F150. Brakes on the Tacoma are adequate in spite of feeling as though there is air in the brake line ('mushy'). Also, be aware, the brakes squeak/squeal & you will be told by Tacoma that this is "NORMAL" If you are down sizing, be willing to accept less vehicle in interior/exterior space, ride, and hauling capability with little MPG improvement.

Longtime Ford driver now in a Tacoma 4x4
By zzbluecomet on 07/01/11 22:04 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First, I'll say I've driven Fords most my life and some imports. I tried the mini-SUV route and had a Ford Escape for 7 mos. I was in need of a truck, but not a full-size. The F150's are very nice and a natural choice for me but the Tacoma really has fit my needs. The build, detail and quality of this truck is very nice and very solid. I have the Off-Road pkg in Super White and it turns heads and gets lots of comments. I can see why Toyota has run most the other midsize/compact trucks out to pasture - I had a Ranger as my last truck and the Tacoma makes hit look completely out of date.

Love my Tacoma...BUT...
By tonyd924 on 03/25/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Tacoma and I love the ride and the overall build quality BUT the engine noises drive me absolutely crazy! The best description I can give is that the engine sounds like a wind-up toy. The noises seem to be an exhaust leak of some kind (most noticeable during acceleration) along with a loud valve-tapping sound coming from both the top and bottom areas of the engine (most noticeable at idle). I believe the exhaust sound may be a known faulty manifold problem (?) but I'm not sure about what seems to be the valve-tapping sounds. If anyone has any input whatsoever to the problem and/or fixes, PLEASE post a reply. I'm praying the dealer will be able to find and fix the problems

Perfect Midsized Pickup
By everrigged on 03/02/11 14:56 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Double Cab TRD Off-Road in early December. I had done tons of research on Edmunds.com as well as many other review and rating sites. This truck has been a perfect fit for me. I do not drive it daily as I have a work truck. When I get in it and take it for a drive it is always a fun experience. The ride is comfortable for being a pickup truck. The bed is on the small side, but if I wanted a full size I would have bought one. It really is just an all around versatile vehicle. I am getting an average of 17.92MPG. So it's not too bad. Driving it for an extended period of time isn't uncomfortable. I really do love this truck.

tacoma
By azb3 on 02/22/11 12:09 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

2011 Tacoma 4x4 5 spd std. this is the cheapest truck I have ever owned you can't make it any cheaper it doesn't look like its built to last to me I see why all the frames on the older models rust out cheap metal 4 cyl. has no power clutch is weak it can't handle light work let alone heavy . the worst money I've ever spent, if you want a cheap truck and want to spend 26K than this is the truck for you.

exceeded expectations
By rydaniels on 02/10/11 11:18 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck needing something to last me through college and beyond. I was really impressed with all the standard features for this tacoma (skid plates, Auto LSD, Roll sensing side curtain airbags). I was apprehensive about getting a 4cyl pickup. However it has plenty of power and considering it can only seat 2.5 people (half person for the middle bench spot...wouldnt try to fit a full grown adult) it will suit me well. I love the rail system and the tie downs that are included. It feels like a mini truck on steroids. i love the ride height. Its a basic no frills truck that will get the task at hand done.

meets needs
By smalltown on 12/17/10 13:10 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought it a week ago. So it has relatively few miles. But I drove it after a freezing rain and snow. The limited slip differential made a huge difference from a Ford Ranger and Chevy S-10 we had before (all 2WD). The seat is firm enough and offered good support. Maybe because of my size, the right outside mirror creates a huge blind spot at intersections. So short drivers beware.

Base 4x4 is great
By BillAlbanyNY on 11/30/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Nice truck, smooth, rides high. Regular cab, bench seat, fits three people if needed. I Needed more cargo room than my 2003 VW Passat Wagon. 4x4 will be safe feeling in NY winters. I was looking for something pretty basic for my first truck. Quality, fit finish great. Controls clear. Power in 4 cyl. fine (no plan to tow, haul too heavy a load and don't worry about fast acceleration; savings on price and fuel economy did come to play here). Rail system is great. Is plenty of room to store back pack and big computer bag and other gear in cab behind bench seat (I am only 5'8" so i might have more room behind than a tall person) Will report back if any negatives develop.

1st Toyota
By tmdmndm on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Actually did not want to look at Toyota when looking to buy. Glad I did. I've owned all types. Needed to tow,haul passengers,and equip. I got all. Back seat has more room then any competitor. Tow's my boat and trailers with no problems. Ride is excellent with no short-bed bouncing. More than enough power with smooth shifts. MPG could be a little more in city driving. Getting 22+ mpg (not to bad though). Tie down rails in bed work great. Plenty of drink holders but center ones need to be bigger. Actually is very quiet ride.

By mark150 on 11/18/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

When looking for a small truck very few options existed. I owned a Toyota Tacoma before a few years ago, and checked out Chevy Dodge, Ford, Nissan. Besides hefty price tags, low resale values, bare bones options for $25,000 or less, no other truck compared to Tacoma. I was further surprised at the addition of the 4 cylinder with double cab offered this year. The truck is awesome, decent power, great ride and surprisingly quiet. To me their is no competition out their to compete with the Tacoma.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$120 per month*