Used 2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 6 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Terrific Tacoma
By Peter Bryan

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have been driving a Lexus so this comparison is slightly unfair, but I love the Tacoma. My only complaint is its power is not what I would have hoped for because when I towed a fairly large trailer that was under under the rated weight, truck struggled a little bit up the hills. It is also louder then my Lexus, no surprise there. All in all a great purchase.

4 cylinder, 4x4 Tacoma with 4 speed automatic
By nedreck

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the truck has been pretty good. The acceleration of the 4 cylinder in this model with the 4 wheel drive and 4 speed automatic transmission is poor, and fourth gear is way too high for this engine's modest power and torque level and the shift points are all wrong, in my opinion.

It always starts and runs well for me, but the blower fan has been replaced twice under warranty.

Lots of storage places in the cab, and a lot of room behind the seats for a standard cab midsized truck. Composite cargo bed needs no bed liner to protect paint as a steel bed might. Good leg room. Tight turning circle. Very nice stock headlights for seeing well at night.

It it very reluctant to downshift when it is in "drive" and when it eventually kicks down the third gear it tries to get back up into fourth too early. The result is that going up even a gentle hill at 65-70 MPH or so, it will not maintain speed. When the accelerator is pressed hard enough for long enough, it goes down into third gear and accelerates back up to speed, but when the accelerator is let up slightly to keep that speed, it goes into fourth and slows down again. In order to keep steady speed on hills like this, it is often necessary to manualy shift into third gear and leave it there to the top of the hill. Terrible.

Exactly what I needed.
By gardnetm

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased my Tacoma about a week ago, so I can't really speak for the reliability of the vehicle yet, but so far I'm still looking for every excuse possible to drive it.
I was looking for a compact (a relative term in the truck market today) pickup mostly for my short commute to work and for the occasional weekend trips to Ikea.
I don't have a big budget or a need for excessive features in a vehicle.
I just need an inexpensive, reliable, versatile vehicle that'll keep up with me and this truck fits the bill perfectly.

A/C system takes the cab from 100 degrees to Igloo in about 20 seconds. Very good turning radius. 21.1 gallon tank means I have to fill up about every month and a half with my driving habits. I can feel most bumps in the road, but even at highway speeds, nothing is ever harsh. The ride is very smooth and very comfortable. The truck also rides high enough to give me a commanding view of the road without being unnecessarily bulky or hard to maneuver. Also, the sturdy composite material that the bed is made out of relieves any need for an additional Rhino lining or similar.

For the 2x4 Regular cab, I'd like better seating options (40/60 bench would be nice). I'd also like a little more room behind the seats for storing something more than a few sheets of paper. Better gas mileage is always wanted. While this model is equal to or better than most of its competitors, I still feel like the 4cyl, 2x4 model should get better than ~21 combined after so many model iterations. Also, how about someone tries to bring back the actual "compact" pickup again!? Until that happens, I'll continue to enjoy this truck.

exceeded expectations
By rydaniels

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this truck needing something to last me through college and beyond. I was really impressed with all the standard features for this tacoma (skid plates, Auto LSD, Roll sensing side curtain airbags). I was apprehensive about getting a 4cyl pickup. However it has plenty of power and considering it can only seat 2.5 people (half person for the middle bench spot...wouldnt try to fit a full grown adult) it will suit me well. I love the rail system and the tie downs that are included. It feels like a mini truck on steroids. i love the ride height. Its a basic no frills truck that will get the task at hand done.

The 5spd manual is great. The bed-liner material comes standard which is great. Skid plates and the limited slip diff.

None...If you understand that what you want for a reg cab 4x4 there isnt much that can be improved. I love the simplicity of everything and looking forward of driving this truck for many years to come.

meets needs
By smalltown

2011 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought it a week ago. So it has relatively few miles. But I drove it after a freezing rain and snow. The limited slip differential made a huge difference from a Ford Ranger and Chevy S-10 we had before (all 2WD). The seat is firm enough and offered good support. Maybe because of my size, the right outside mirror creates a huge blind spot at intersections. So short drivers beware.

Just enough "stuff" for driver comfort.

Offer 40-60 split seats instead of bench seat. Also, have the back on the passenger side fold down flat to create a level work space for maps, a laptop computer, etc.