Used 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2 year review
By billu88

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven this vehicle for 2 years now and I'm very happy with it's style, performance and quality. I replaced a 2003 Tacoma extended cab with this 2011 double cab. The 6 foot bed is the only way to go. I have to back it into my garage because of the extra length but this is one option you should get if you are going to haul anything. Gas mileage is OK, not great but about 19 combined. Handling is good with great acceleration. Brakes are the worst part of this vehicle. I wish they would have changes to 4 wheel disk. The only other issues I have are: A clunk when I slow down and stop, and play in steering while going over bumps off road.

Comfort, performance, style, quality of build.

Home link for door remote, radio display and integration to bluetooth, tie-downs in front of bed, rear disk brakes, power rear slide window.

Surprised by quality issues
By tdahl79

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband has a special place in his heart for the Toyota Tacoma, always has. We bought him his 2nd one, brand new only not long ago and now it has 7,000 mi. on it. It just started making an odd sound. We took in into the shop and were told that since the computer wasn't showing a code, they couldn't do anything. So, my husband looked at it at home and found that the fan shroud was rubbing. We it back up there & they decided this time they would actually look at it. They took it apart and found that the fan shroud was being affected by the radiator that was warped! Next, they found that all that was caused by a broken motor mount bolt. Week in the shop! We are not hard on vehicles.

Small truck but pretty roomy, even with 3 kids. Not bad comfort or fuel mileage.

Build inspections?

SUV with a bed
By bart25

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Tacoma has its limitations, but going to a Tacoma from a full size Ford F-250 will take something to get used to. I purchaced it cause I was sick and tired of getting 11 mpg with my Ford. When picking out a new Tacoma the test ride in the automatic was totally unacceptable the way the transmission would constantly shift up and down everytime I touched the gas pedal so I was ready to walk away but the salesman said he had a 6 speed manual shift 4 door, but I said NO! no manual for me, so he insulted me saying I couldn't drive a manual, but when I took the manual for a ride I LOVED it and took it home.

Brakes: first truck I ever owned were the brakes work excellent, the quick in and out of the 4X4, (other trucks you have to wait for the 4X4 to engage) tight turning radis

seats need a higher from the floor adjustment, feels like you're sitting in the floor. unstable at high speeds, doesn't have that feel where the tires are glued to the road, where the wind blows it around, maybe its because of the weight and the weak suspension

Best truck ever!
By itsmatthew

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been shopping around for a new truck for over a year now. I have test drove and researched every single one and this is by far the best truck out there. I was initially looking for a full size for my 4 kids but with the double cab, their carseats fit with ease. The interior is very nice and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in. If you are going to get it I would highly recommended the TRD Sport package, because it handles like no other. As far as reliability, I can't speak on that for this one (2011), but I did have a 2000 Tacoma for 12 years and it was bullet proof, nothing but normal maintenance until the 125,000 mile spot.

TRD SPort package (fantastic handling), can make a u-turn effortlessley now, could not do this in my 2000 Tacoma. Seats are incredibly comfortable. Tons of room in double cab Bedliner with rail system is very nice Sport package makes the truck look great. Nice storage under the seats

Radio is a little quiet if you don't have the JBL upgrade. Engine ticks a little at idle and during initial acceleration but this is normal to the upgraded vvti design and makes the performance way better than past models. (don't hear the tick, always driving with radio on).

love it
By rkirchoff

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

lots of power, rides nice, corners great, gets 18.8mpg city/hwy so far.

truck sits as high as full-sized. very roomy. lots of leg-room for tall drivers. v6 provides top-notch performance.

move the glasses holder to a different location. if left open, i will bump it with my head as i enter the truck which is very painful. offer leather seats. offer electric seats. get michelin tires instead of dunlops. driver's seat sits too high for me. also the hood scoop...get rid of it since it is not functional.