2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2 year review
By billu88 on 08/22/13 13:44 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven this vehicle for 2 years now and I'm very happy with it's style, performance and quality. I replaced a 2003 Tacoma extended cab with this 2011 double cab. The 6 foot bed is the only way to go. I have to back it into my garage because of the extra length but this is one option you should get if you are going to haul anything. Gas mileage is OK, not great but about 19 combined. Handling is good with great acceleration. Brakes are the worst part of this vehicle. I wish they would have changes to 4 wheel disk. The only other issues I have are: A clunk when I slow down and stop, and play in steering while going over bumps off road.

Surprised by quality issues
By tdahl79 on 06/17/12 21:58 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband has a special place in his heart for the Toyota Tacoma, always has. We bought him his 2nd one, brand new only not long ago and now it has 7,000 mi. on it. It just started making an odd sound. We took in into the shop and were told that since the computer wasn't showing a code, they couldn't do anything. So, my husband looked at it at home and found that the fan shroud was rubbing. We it back up there & they decided this time they would actually look at it. They took it apart and found that the fan shroud was being affected by the radiator that was warped! Next, they found that all that was caused by a broken motor mount bolt. Week in the shop! We are not hard on vehicles.

SUV with a bed
By bart25 on 11/25/11 01:18 AM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The Tacoma has its limitations, but going to a Tacoma from a full size Ford F-250 will take something to get used to. I purchaced it cause I was sick and tired of getting 11 mpg with my Ford. When picking out a new Tacoma the test ride in the automatic was totally unacceptable the way the transmission would constantly shift up and down everytime I touched the gas pedal so I was ready to walk away but the salesman said he had a 6 speed manual shift 4 door, but I said NO! no manual for me, so he insulted me saying I couldn't drive a manual, but when I took the manual for a ride I LOVED it and took it home.

Best truck ever!
By itsmatthew on 11/04/11 09:28 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been shopping around for a new truck for over a year now. I have test drove and researched every single one and this is by far the best truck out there. I was initially looking for a full size for my 4 kids but with the double cab, their carseats fit with ease. The interior is very nice and the seats are the most comfortable I have ever sat in. If you are going to get it I would highly recommended the TRD Sport package, because it handles like no other. As far as reliability, I can't speak on that for this one (2011), but I did have a 2000 Tacoma for 12 years and it was bullet proof, nothing but normal maintenance until the 125,000 mile spot.

love it
By rkirchoff on 09/15/11 05:32 AM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

lots of power, rides nice, corners great, gets 18.8mpg city/hwy so far.

Does The Job
By mitchelld on 07/03/11 19:36 PM (PDT)

Previously owned a Ford F150 with V-8. After 7 years, I made the decision to 'down size' to the Tacoma. The Ford was more comfortable and much easier to get in/out of. Additionally, (and somewhat incredibly) the Tacoma only delivers about 1.5 better MPG. However, the Tacoma is much easier to park in tight spaces and rides on a par with the larger F150. Brakes on the Tacoma are adequate in spite of feeling as though there is air in the brake line ('mushy'). Also, be aware, the brakes squeak/squeal & you will be told by Tacoma that this is "NORMAL" If you are down sizing, be willing to accept less vehicle in interior/exterior space, ride, and hauling capability with little MPG improvement.

Longtime Ford driver now in a Tacoma 4x4
By zzbluecomet on 07/01/11 22:04 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First, I'll say I've driven Fords most my life and some imports. I tried the mini-SUV route and had a Ford Escape for 7 mos. I was in need of a truck, but not a full-size. The F150's are very nice and a natural choice for me but the Tacoma really has fit my needs. The build, detail and quality of this truck is very nice and very solid. I have the Off-Road pkg in Super White and it turns heads and gets lots of comments. I can see why Toyota has run most the other midsize/compact trucks out to pasture - I had a Ranger as my last truck and the Tacoma makes hit look completely out of date.

Love my Tacoma...BUT...
By tonyd924 on 03/25/11 13:30 PM (PDT)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my 3rd Tacoma and I love the ride and the overall build quality BUT the engine noises drive me absolutely crazy! The best description I can give is that the engine sounds like a wind-up toy. The noises seem to be an exhaust leak of some kind (most noticeable during acceleration) along with a loud valve-tapping sound coming from both the top and bottom areas of the engine (most noticeable at idle). I believe the exhaust sound may be a known faulty manifold problem (?) but I'm not sure about what seems to be the valve-tapping sounds. If anyone has any input whatsoever to the problem and/or fixes, PLEASE post a reply. I'm praying the dealer will be able to find and fix the problems

Perfect Midsized Pickup
By everrigged on 03/02/11 14:56 PM (PST)

2011 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my Double Cab TRD Off-Road in early December. I had done tons of research on Edmunds.com as well as many other review and rating sites. This truck has been a perfect fit for me. I do not drive it daily as I have a work truck. When I get in it and take it for a drive it is always a fun experience. The ride is comfortable for being a pickup truck. The bed is on the small side, but if I wanted a full size I would have bought one. It really is just an all around versatile vehicle. I am getting an average of 17.92MPG. So it's not too bad. Driving it for an extended period of time isn't uncomfortable. I really do love this truck.

1st Toyota
By tmdmndm on 11/25/10 00:00 AM (PST)

Actually did not want to look at Toyota when looking to buy. Glad I did. I've owned all types. Needed to tow,haul passengers,and equip. I got all. Back seat has more room then any competitor. Tow's my boat and trailers with no problems. Ride is excellent with no short-bed bouncing. More than enough power with smooth shifts. MPG could be a little more in city driving. Getting 22+ mpg (not to bad though). Tie down rails in bed work great. Plenty of drink holders but center ones need to be bigger. Actually is very quiet ride.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2011 Toyota Tacoma Double-cab in VA is:

$90 per month*