Used 2011 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2011 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2011 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

right for me
By dstretch

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought my 2011 sr5 about a month ago. Did lots of previous research prior to buying it, fuel, reliability, pricing, etc. Month later, can't say enough of the Tacoma. Great mid size truck that stands up to all others with good gas mpg. Would highly recommend the Tacoma if your looking for a dependable mid size truck that delivers good fuel and pulling power for weekenders.

Favorite Features

As trucks go, Tacoma is rated highly for its dependability. Time will tell

2 year review
By billu88

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have driven this vehicle for 2 years now and I'm very happy with it's style, performance and quality. I replaced a 2003 Tacoma extended cab with this 2011 double cab. The 6 foot bed is the only way to go. I have to back it into my garage because of the extra length but this is one option you should get if you are going to haul anything. Gas mileage is OK, not great but about 19 combined. Handling is good with great acceleration. Brakes are the worst part of this vehicle. I wish they would have changes to 4 wheel disk. The only other issues I have are: A clunk when I slow down and stop, and play in steering while going over bumps off road.

Favorite Features

Comfort, performance, style, quality of build.

Suggested Improvements

Home link for door remote, radio display and integration to bluetooth, tie-downs in front of bed, rear disk brakes, power rear slide window.

Absolute Garbage!
By mongre

2011 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have now owned 4 Toyotas. Excluding a late 80s base model Tacoma, this is the worst vehicle I have ever owned. I will be slow to purchase a Toyota again. Cheap materials, cramped and awkward interior, an endless supply of mechanical failures. I am happy to say goodbye. I spent hours haggling over the Cruise Control failing at 70. Toyota made every excuse yet blamed me & the terrain (small incline). 1 engine out of 12 takes synthetic. Of course my dealership filled it with standard and replaced it so the engine could sound like a VW bug for a while. Two...yes TWO rear bearings, a differential and a front strut later and this has been in the shop more than my last 3 cars combined!

Favorite Features

I purchased the vehicle because of the resale rates. Plain and simple i needed an efficient truck to haul things now and again, and do light duty work. The truck looks nice on the interior at first glance but you quickly realize everything is plastic. This truck fulfilled my desire as one would expect any pickup would. That's about where my fondness ends.

Suggested Improvements

Make a decent vehicle, Toyota. You're slipping in to the mentality that quality doesn't matter. While i can actually lean against this truck without it causing a huge dent in the panel, unlike my last Tacoma, i find this truck a far stretch from being a "quality" ride.

4 cylinder, 4x4 Tacoma with 4 speed automatic
By nedreck

2011 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Overall the truck has been pretty good. The acceleration of the 4 cylinder in this model with the 4 wheel drive and 4 speed automatic transmission is poor, and fourth gear is way too high for this engine's modest power and torque level and the shift points are all wrong, in my opinion. It always starts and runs well for me, but the blower fan has been replaced twice under warranty.

Favorite Features

Lots of storage places in the cab, and a lot of room behind the seats for a standard cab midsized truck. Composite cargo bed needs no bed liner to protect paint as a steel bed might. Good leg room. Tight turning circle. Very nice stock headlights for seeing well at night.

Suggested Improvements

It it very reluctant to downshift when it is in "drive" and when it eventually kicks down the third gear it tries to get back up into fourth too early. The result is that going up even a gentle hill at 65-70 MPH or so, it will not maintain speed. When the accelerator is pressed hard enough for long enough, it goes down into third gear and accelerates back up to speed, but when the accelerator is let up slightly to keep that speed, it goes into fourth and slows down again. In order to keep steady speed on hills like this, it is often necessary to manualy shift into third gear and leave it there to the top of the hill. Terrible.

Surprised by quality issues
By tdahl79

2011 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My husband has a special place in his heart for the Toyota Tacoma, always has. We bought him his 2nd one, brand new only not long ago and now it has 7,000 mi. on it. It just started making an odd sound. We took in into the shop and were told that since the computer wasn't showing a code, they couldn't do anything. So, my husband looked at it at home and found that the fan shroud was rubbing. We it back up there & they decided this time they would actually look at it. They took it apart and found that the fan shroud was being affected by the radiator that was warped! Next, they found that all that was caused by a broken motor mount bolt. Week in the shop! We are not hard on vehicles.

Favorite Features

Small truck but pretty roomy, even with 3 kids. Not bad comfort or fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Build inspections?