2010 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Very happy with my first truck

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Review

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

Very happy with my first truck
By tynash on

2010 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have almost 25,000 miles on my new truck, drove away from dealership with 164 miles in Jan 2010. Nothing short of impressed. Big enough to get the job done, but small enough to still fit in the garage. Did months of research before selecting this specific truck, read other reviews. Almost went with the auto, but reviews were night and day, some sort of "gear hunting" issue specific to the auto trans. The only issue I had was the blower motor which the dealership said was common to the Tacoma's lately. Manufacturing tolerances in the motor were incorrect, causing a squeaking sound when you turn the fan on. They replaced the blower motor earlier this year and the squeak has not come back.

Traction and stability are amazing. Drove through one of the worst snowstorms I've ever seen last winter, only got stuck attempting to pass through a snowbank I knew was too big. Mileage has been great for what the sticker said. It started low, (as it will for any new vehicle, through the break-in process), maybe 16-17mpg. I now routinely get between 21-22. A tip for others, (and I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated with Shell), but I definitely noticed an improvement in mileage switching to that brand of gas. It drops any time I fill up anywhere else, using only 87 octane, nothing special.

The Dunlop AT20's are garbage, low-cost tires. After only 10,000-15,000 miles, the water grooves on the side are gone, leaving solid blocks that don't allow water to escape. Hydroplaning is inevitable. No one I've spoken to has been happy with these tires on their vehicles. Ride comfort otherwise is great, as long as its not raining!

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review