Used 2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2010 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Toyota Tacoma Not needs work
By lawje

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2010 Tacoma in CNY and was disappointed from day one. 179 miles on with large scratch. Dealer fixed but not a good sign. Major complaints: Radio seemed to be very low. Volume was on 50 to hear radio with windo down. Handling, not great. Constant noise when van or heat turned on. Later found out it was a recall and Toyota did not let me know after I complained. Gas mileage...maybe 16 mpg average driving. Not very comfortable for someone 6'00 tall. Sold after 2 years and 25,000 mile. Also have a 2005 Toyota 4runner which is the best vehicle I have ever owned.

Favorite Features

Looks grea! Actually purchased because I needed a small truck and as far as compact trucks go....the competion is lacking. Great Resale! The backup camera! Loved it!

Suggested Improvements

I realize it is not an American Truck...which they make in Texas now I believe. But make it alittle more comfortable to sit in. Seats need to be deeper. I am 6'02" tall. Radio has some issues, not sure how to fix that.

Overall great truck
By whynotyoko

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased my 2010 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4 Long Wheel Base (SPORT PKG) in January 2010 and have driven 64,000 miles with no major issues. I have had one small annoying issue (blower fan). The blower fan has a chirp but cannot be fixed and the unit has been replaced by the dealer 4 times. It's simply a design flaw because they use cheap bearings and not good sealed bearings for the blower fan. I've driven from Canada to Florida and repeatedly from Tennessee to Michigan for family and business. It blasted through 20 inches of snow the weekend I purchased it. The Dunlop tires were so-so, but I replaced with Michelin LTX AT2 and it provided great dirt, road and snow performance. Highly recommend!!

Favorite Features

PROS: -Ride comfort (I'm 6-2, 250) -Sound system (JBL with sub) -Mileage (avg 17.5 city and 20.8 hwy for leadfoot) -Rear seat comfort -FWD system -Camera -Aftermarket options available (exhaust, winch CONS: -Towing..4.0L V6 struggled with 5000lb trailer (V8?) -Blower motor (design flaw and it chirp

Suggested Improvements

Maybe Toyota will increase the bed length 6 inches and add a V8 to add to the pulling capability. The V6 seems underpowered with a 5000lb trailer.

Water Infiltration
By john1961

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am wondering if anyone else had water infiltration problems caused by incomplete seal behind cab. I could see the water clearly under the mat and the dealer found that the joint on the cab between cab and box was poorly done. They repaired the joint and replaced the foam beneath the carpet however there was always a smell in the truck. I recently brought it in and they agreed about the smell but wanted me to pay for some canister they would use to eliminate all odours, I had to argue my point despite them knowing full well the problem was real. I had ducks waiting to get in there was so much water inside

Very happy with my first truck
By tynash

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have almost 25,000 miles on my new truck, drove away from dealership with 164 miles in Jan 2010. Nothing short of impressed. Big enough to get the job done, but small enough to still fit in the garage. Did months of research before selecting this specific truck, read other reviews. Almost went with the auto, but reviews were night and day, some sort of "gear hunting" issue specific to the auto trans. The only issue I had was the blower motor which the dealership said was common to the Tacoma's lately. Manufacturing tolerances in the motor were incorrect, causing a squeaking sound when you turn the fan on. They replaced the blower motor earlier this year and the squeak has not come back.

Favorite Features

Traction and stability are amazing. Drove through one of the worst snowstorms I've ever seen last winter, only got stuck attempting to pass through a snowbank I knew was too big. Mileage has been great for what the sticker said. It started low, (as it will for any new vehicle, through the break-in process), maybe 16-17mpg. I now routinely get between 21-22. A tip for others, (and I'm in no way, shape or form affiliated with Shell), but I definitely noticed an improvement in mileage switching to that brand of gas. It drops any time I fill up anywhere else, using only 87 octane, nothing special.

Suggested Improvements

The Dunlop AT20's are garbage, low-cost tires. After only 10,000-15,000 miles, the water grooves on the side are gone, leaving solid blocks that don't allow water to escape. Hydroplaning is inevitable. No one I've spoken to has been happy with these tires on their vehicles. Ride comfort otherwise is great, as long as its not raining!

Suspension Problems
By john1961

2010 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the weak suspension caused by poor design. This is my 3rd Toyota truck and after poor response from Toyota Canada probably my last. For the sake of $350.00 for a solution they are willing to lose a longtime loyal client. If anyone has had success with Toyota to correct the problem I would like to know. Toyota were once known for their quality and durability but now I feel it's all about money