TRD w/ Bilsteins
By Norm Silver on
2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I was aware of the transmission complaints so the first thing I did was go to an aftermarket tranny shop and had them service the automatic and put in Royal Purple full synthetic fluid and also check it out on their computer. Then I installed a cold air intake and took it to the tire shop where they let the air out of the tires and pumped in Nitrogen. This one has the 16 inch tire option and I can see there is already some inside tire wear. I'll be rotating tires every 5,000 miles to assure good tire wear. The acceleration is good, fuel economy is 22-24 hwy and 18-20 in town. Would I do this again? Yes. It is a decent truck and I like the size and appearance. I plan to replace the radio soon.
Favorite Features
Instrument cluster is easy to read. Good power and acceleration. Good visibility for me. I did get all of the amenities too.
Suggested Improvements
Look into whatever it is that causes the automatic transmission to be so sloppy and have varying shift points. Try to correct the reason for the inside wear on the 265-70-16 tires.