Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau on
2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it. I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it. My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.
Favorite Features
Great engine, decent gas mileage. Nice size and good looking. Very reliable.
Suggested Improvements
They could not have built this truck any cheaper. How much would it have cost Toyota to equip this base Tacoma with intermittent wipers? Rear leaf springs squeak like a used up old beater. A known issue but Toyota is still shipping Tacomas with this problem. The buyer is forced to bring their truck back to the dealer for a fix under a TSB. Unacceptable drive line rattle and slop. The gear ratios for the manual transmission are ridiculous.