2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Nice features, bad transmissio

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Review

Nice features, bad transmission setup
By FFT on

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2009 PreRunner double cab and the interior is very nice although I share the grip about the leg clearance under the steering wheel. I have to push the wheel all the way up and out and sorta wiggle my way in. The interior is nice otherwise. The transmission setup on this truck however is anything but nice and the brakes are too weak. The transmission hunts under 45 mph and the always on engine braking in "D" is VERY annoying. You can't roll down smooth. Also, the upshift to second is hard and the entire downshift from 5 (which the tranny races to get to) is hard in every gear. My '97 T100 was weak on power, but it was 10 times smoother mechanically. Unfortunate.

Favorite Features

Exterior design, Interior design (other than the steering wheel), Engine maintenance ease, power (when it finally comes from the transmission), backup camera, fold flat rear seats, fold down passenger seat, ground clearance.

Suggested Improvements

Create a transmission that shifts smoothy both up and down, even if it takes away some of its overall life. There is nothing more annoying than a thumping, hunting, erratic transmission that does not know when to get in the right gear. LOSE ENGINE BRAKING IN "DRIVE". Save it for the lower gears.