2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Review: Can you really go wrong with t

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Review

Can you really go wrong with this truck?
By Chris R on

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the SR5 model of this truck. I really would have liked a manual transmission but that was only available with the short bed crew cab. The transmission shifts smoothly but does seem to hunt in lower gears. The brakes are spongy as others have noted, but you will learn to adapt to them quickly. Very comfortable interior--very car like; but make no mistake, this is a truck through and through and will handle the road well when the pavement ends; I live on a washboard dirt road out in the sticks. Quite a bit pricier than the domestics but it will hold its resale and it will last. I know. I still have an '86 Toyota pickup that runs great. If you can afford to do so, buy one.

Favorite Features

Rugged build. Powerful engine. Comfortable interior. Back-up camera. I really like the composite bed; it won't dent and it won't rust. What more can you ask for? Great air-conditioning. A beautiful truck.

Suggested Improvements

Offer a manual transmission for purists like myself, even in the long bed double cab model... or improve the gear hunting/long shift duration in the lower gears of the automatic transmission. If nothing else, improve the brake feel. They really are somewhat spongy.