Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

The looks and the stereo.

Do something about the transmission. These transmissions should be re-called and swapped out for a transmission that works right.

Still undecided if I will keep truck
By undrgnd40

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the exterior and interior styling. There are a lot of complaints about the seats and brakes, but it's all in perspective. So far I don't have any complaints about the transmission except for no dipstick to check fluid. BF Goodrich Tires are too noisy and rough. They have an aggressive design but are unimpressive in snow. Radio sounded awful at any volume so I replaced it right away. Three child seats fit in the back seat with little effort. I like the four wheel drive and the stability control. Still, I might have to trade for something with a third row seat.

looks, seating position

trans dipstick, tougher paint, better radio

09 Prerunner V6 Access Cab SR5
By Robert

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased earlier this year but waited to see what issues cropped up before doing a review. Overall, I have been pleased. I have not experienced the transmission issues others have had (yet), but have run into a couple of minor problems. The radio tends to shut off automatically, or get stuck on a station and the buttons won't respond. Also, when I don't have the A/C fan running and the air button is set to recycle, it will switch to outside air randomly even though I don't have the selector set to heat or defrost. My only other complaint is the bed surface is so slick that groceries are strewn everywhere during the 3 mile drive home from the market.

Good response. I like the full airbag package.

The bed is way too slick. Make cruise control and Int wipers available without having to pay for the full SR5 package.

This truck saved my life
By jamie75

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off I loved this truck for the 6 weeks I had it. Gas mileage was about 20 mixed city/hwy. The seats made my low back feel better than my couch at home. Last week a guy ran a light and I t-boned him at full speed. The truck is a total loss but other than neck and back pain I walked away. I highly recommend this truck and as soon as the insurance works it out I'll buy another one.

Safety and looks.

My only complaint is the paint scratches easily.

Automatic Transmission Problems
By ben

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

09 SR5 4x4 CC. The 09 with automatic transmission has design flaws which cause the vehicle to drop into low gear and race the engine. Not only dangerous, but maddening.

looks nice