2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Big Little Truck
By Taco Grande on 04/22/09 16:21 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

It's a little bit big for a compact/midsize. Despite what some people are saying, it's noisy (clutch fan and mechanical noises) compared to a lot of cars and SUVs. No alloy wheel option for the base model at all. Sits a little high for a street truck (2x4). It handles like a truck with no rear sway bar. ATRAC is a waste of money to me. ABS is OK though (expected now). Mileage could be much better with a little effort from Toyota. The body looks good for a little truck. I had a TPMS and radio problems, but the dealer fixed them. Toyota knows very well about the radio problems. I'm betting they have to replace about 75-100% after the sale.

TRD Off Road
By Dustin on 04/21/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got rid of my 02 Tacoma access cab, which I loved. Had a baby and the car seat did not fit and bought the 09 double cab TRD Tacoma. Great truck, rides smooth, almost no outside noise, plenty of leg room for driver and passenger. Comfortable for an adult in the back. So many extra features I'm not going to try and list them all. Great for towing my wave runner. I could not be happier. The only thing I have a problem with is the transmission. It could be a lot smoother, but that's only if I'm really reaching for something to point out bad about the truck.

Not Worth the Money
By Bob on 04/03/09 12:43 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the SR5 4 cyl access cab in Jan 2009. Hated to part with my 2001 at the time, now I'm really sorry I did. The 2009 Tacoma has the worst wind noise coming from the back. The seats are too low and not comfortable. Tilt wheel, what tilt wheel. It moves about an 1/2" up and 1/2" in and out. The windshield is so low it’s almost a problem seeing out. All around visibility to the outside seems less than my ‘01.The radio does not pick up stations like my ‘01 did. I’ve never owned anything but Toyotas, and I expected this truck to be nothing less than my previous trucks. I was wrong. The more I drive it the more I dislike it. This truck will be gone next year. PLEASE BRING BACK THE 2001 STYLE.

Nice features, bad transmission setup
By FFT on 03/31/09 19:04 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I recently bought a 2009 PreRunner double cab and the interior is very nice although I share the grip about the leg clearance under the steering wheel. I have to push the wheel all the way up and out and sorta wiggle my way in. The interior is nice otherwise. The transmission setup on this truck however is anything but nice and the brakes are too weak. The transmission hunts under 45 mph and the always on engine braking in "D" is VERY annoying. You can't roll down smooth. Also, the upshift to second is hard and the entire downshift from 5 (which the tranny races to get to) is hard in every gear. My '97 T100 was weak on power, but it was 10 times smoother mechanically. Unfortunate.

TRD Sport
By XBGUIDO on 03/27/09 08:28 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

2009 Tacoma 4x4, Automatic TRD Sport with JBL, Long Bed, Tow Package. Purchased 10/2008 from Hometown Toyota in Ontario, OR. Good experience with dealer. Truck is really great. Performance, comfort, drive-ability all very good. Style and quality are better than any other truck on the market today in my opinion. Gas mileage was 18.5 average added K&N air intake and is now 20.5 average. Would like to see Toyota work on the gas mileage, should be better. Would also like to see Toyota offer leather seats, heated seats/mirrors. Price paid, less taxes, $29,600 Great truck, recommended.

Way over priced, wished kept old tacoma
By greg on 03/26/09 19:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like my old Tacoma better. Wonder if dealer still has mine i want it back lol. My suspension wasn't good on first yota but this new truck is worse!!! Don't buy it - worst truck I've owned. $23 grand lol never again maybe 15k.

Great little Truck!
By Nick on 03/21/09 08:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4 cylinder Access Cab with 4x4 is a great truck for those who want decent fuel economy and need the utility of a truck once in awhile. The 4 cylinder is no powerhouse, but it has plenty of power when not towing or hauling, and if you do need to haul heavy loads or tow up to its 3500 lbs limit, it will do the task for you! I am very pleased with this Tacoma!

2009 V6 Toyota Double Cab TRD sport
By Waynep on 03/16/09 13:26 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Rides and handles well, front seat is too low to be comfortable on longer trips. Quiet and smooth good fit and finish, rear seats very comfortable. Tons of storage in cab and in bed.

Bad Radio
By Jim on 03/06/09 17:27 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The radio in this truck turns on and off at will. The driver has no control. Toyota is aware of the problem and will fix it in a few months. I have been waiting two months with not a radio in site. The problem is so prevalent that the radios are back ordered to the factory. If you like radio you do not want to buy this truck.

Just Bought
By Jon on 02/25/09 22:00 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just bought the magnetic grey 4wd v6 automatic double cab w/ 6ft long bed w/ towing package. Looks are awesome! Inside is nice, love the backup cam. Says it can pull 6500lbs which is no slouch. I also found out how to disable the seatbelt buzzer when not wearing the seatbelt. Very cool feature! Even in winter the heater heats up super fast. Engine seems a little noisy though. Good power also. Basically a nice truck but to early to tell how it's going to do once I put some mileage on it. So far so good.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*