Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great midsize choice
By DCR

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2004 Tacoma for the dbl cab v6 and I am very happy. The interior is much better and I have the JBL sound system and it is awesome. I pull a 5200lb trailer with it. I was worried it wouldn't do it but was pleasantly surprised, you can tell it's there but the v6 has no problem towing it. The rear camera is a bit overrated because it's a bubble type view but after awhile of using it you get accustomed to it. Overall these trucks are perfect for the mid-size class.

JBL sound, towing package, lighting

rear camera, heavier rear suspension

Transmission problems
By ben_talla

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the SR5 4x4 off road. The good - rides nice, has power, handles well. The Bad - auto transmission has no sense at all. Drops into 1st gear on slow turns and downshifts when it should not. Toyota refuses to address the problems. Seating is low and the lack of available power seats which I thought I could live with, adds to the mix... has me trading back to Nissan with only 3K miles. Tranny drives me nuts.

ride

transmission and seats

Tacoma ok but no so great
By Jerry Hosteg

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've so far owned two 2009 Tacoma Trucks. An offroad model and a sport model. The offroad was totaled and I replaced with the sport model. Overall I like the truck and it's a keeper, nice acceleration, quality interior vs the competition, safety features are great - ie. my airbags worked on impact, and the frame crumpled and distributed the impact force properly where my cabin area stayed intact. However, I won't buy another 6 to 10 yrs down the road unless Toyota can fix the rough ride, the spongy brakes, and improve the fuel economy by at least 2 MPG for the 4X4 model.

Backup Camera. Suspension good for offroading on the offroad and sport models. Vehicle has better looks than competition.

Needs a smoother ride! Truck does a terrible job absorbing the rough road. You can feel it in your seat!

Could be better
By Jeff

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

TRD Sport SB: No adjustment for seat height or thigh angle. Makes it hard for 6'2" to get comfortable on long trips and get out from under the steering wheel. Tailgate still weak. Rear leaf springs are light. Backup camera is an overpriced gimmick. Seat fabric feels cheap compared to the Tundra. Mileage should be better. Cheap center dash and radio. Who cares about CD's now a days? No trip computer for real time mileage. Colors and digital displays are hard to read in sunlight. Doors seem flimsy or uninsulated. I expected this to be my 2005 4Runner with a bed, but it definitely seems "cheaper" all around. Costs an arm+leg once all the packages are included. Spongy brakes.

Looks cool. Rear seats fold flat. Rear storage under and behind seats. Size is about right. AUX input.

Trip computer under a "normal" radio and more conservative center dash. USB plug-in beside AUX input. Homelink buttons with Temp/Compass. Address the rear spring TSB on 2009's instead of putting the infamous "yellow sticker" on the driver's door frame. Roll down rear window.

Nice Truck
By Mateo

This is my first Toyota and I bought it without a test drive. I think overall it is a nice truck with a good set of extras. However, given Toyota's track record of excellent and dependable vehicles, I expected a bit more for the $$. For a new truck, there is already an annoying rattle/vibration at low RPM and it is especially noticeable when it's cold. The transmission seems to hunt when it downshifts, giving the sensation that you are are driving on ice at times.

Backup camera. AUX input. The towing capacity is great.

Fix the transmission problem. Improve on gas mileage. More insulation to decrease engine nose.