2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Tacoma ok but no so great
By Jerry Hosteg on 06/26/09 10:55 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I've so far owned two 2009 Tacoma Trucks. An offroad model and a sport model. The offroad was totaled and I replaced with the sport model. Overall I like the truck and it's a keeper, nice acceleration, quality interior vs the competition, safety features are great - ie. my airbags worked on impact, and the frame crumpled and distributed the impact force properly where my cabin area stayed intact. However, I won't buy another 6 to 10 yrs down the road unless Toyota can fix the rough ride, the spongy brakes, and improve the fuel economy by at least 2 MPG for the 4X4 model.

Could be better
By Jeff on 06/24/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

TRD Sport SB: No adjustment for seat height or thigh angle. Makes it hard for 6'2" to get comfortable on long trips and get out from under the steering wheel. Tailgate still weak. Rear leaf springs are light. Backup camera is an overpriced gimmick. Seat fabric feels cheap compared to the Tundra. Mileage should be better. Cheap center dash and radio. Who cares about CD's now a days? No trip computer for real time mileage. Colors and digital displays are hard to read in sunlight. Doors seem flimsy or uninsulated. I expected this to be my 2005 4Runner with a bed, but it definitely seems "cheaper" all around. Costs an arm+leg once all the packages are included. Spongy brakes.

Nice Truck
By Mateo on 06/23/09 10:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota and I bought it without a test drive. I think overall it is a nice truck with a good set of extras. However, given Toyota's track record of excellent and dependable vehicles, I expected a bit more for the $$. For a new truck, there is already an annoying rattle/vibration at low RPM and it is especially noticeable when it's cold. The transmission seems to hunt when it downshifts, giving the sensation that you are are driving on ice at times.

I'm happy with my Tacoma
By Dave on 06/16/09 14:59 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for about 4 months and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I was a little concerned that the engine might be a bit wimpy but I find it can hold its own in traffic with no problems. Everything seems to be working well. No unexpected wind noise or squeaks, and my radio works great.

Great truck
By MRK on 06/13/09 08:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the truck that I could not buy 40 years ago when I was 22. The sport seat was designed for that butt, not the one I have now, but it is still pretty comfortable on long road trips. Mostly drive it around town or short golf trips. Rides well, handles well. Better MPG than I expected. Have had it 6 months now and no complaints. Damn good looking truck with the sport package.

Proud new owner
By Mountaineer Toy on 05/29/09 18:49 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I had to get rid of my 2004 Tacoma to get a baby seat in. I was sad to see it go but this new one made me forget pretty quick, it has the power when I need it though it comes at a price with the mileage sometimes, and the back-up camera is extremely useful. I would like to see the 4wd selector lit up but other than that Toyota hit a home run when designing this truck.

My first, but not my last Toyota
By Steve on 05/08/09 12:47 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned my truck for 1 week and I couldn't be happier. I traded in a 2006 Pathfinder LE for the Tacoma and it was the best decision I have ever made. The Nissan was not put together well and had rattles everywhere as well as a problem in the electrical system. The Tacoma seems to be built much tighter and better and has a great ride. It tows my boat without even knowing it it there. There is a slight rattle at 1100rpm in the passenger door but the dealership is going to take care if that quickly when I take it in for service. I would HIGHLY recommend this vehicle for anyone looking for a truck. It is simply put, A GREAT TRUCK!

Slipping Transmission in My Tar
By Missing Idaho on 05/02/09 15:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have an SR5 model; wanted base model, but only exists in the brochure. Toyota was no help to locate one. I have seen this type of truck referred to as a Tar (Truck Car Mix). Gas mileage good (as good as my 93 4 cyl pick-up). Spongy brakes. Yes, freaky radio (turns on all by itself) and poor reception for some reason. The hunting transmission drives me crazy. Sensation like you're spinning your wheels on ice. Bed liner is slippery, but like tie down rails. Why can't Toyota start making what we want - manual 5 spd. Hope this is half the truck my previous 93 & 81 models were. I would have purchased American if someone made the extended bed.

Built for a purpose
By Billy Bob on 05/01/09 13:54 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I needed a truck that could seat three people (including booster seats) in the back, have strong safety features, and still be able to handle off-road conditions for camping and hunting. I ruled out the Honda Ridgeline because its undercarriage is more vulnerable. The Tacoma is designed for high clearance, and low roll-over risk, which means the floor is high and the roof is low. The transmission and transfer case are well protected. Everything else, including Tacoma's flaws, derive from these design goals. The fronts seats are low. Toe room is bad in back. With side airbags and stability control, it is the safest thing out there. The roof meets 2010 IIHS standards for a "good" rating.

Can you really go wrong with this truck?
By Chris R on 04/27/09 18:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the SR5 model of this truck. I really would have liked a manual transmission but that was only available with the short bed crew cab. The transmission shifts smoothly but does seem to hunt in lower gears. The brakes are spongy as others have noted, but you will learn to adapt to them quickly. Very comfortable interior--very car like; but make no mistake, this is a truck through and through and will handle the road well when the pavement ends; I live on a washboard dirt road out in the sticks. Quite a bit pricier than the domestics but it will hold its resale and it will last. I know. I still have an '86 Toyota pickup that runs great. If you can afford to do so, buy one.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*