Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nice Truck - Xmission could be better
By Ed

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck in June 09. I have had it for about 7 months now. I like the look of the Tacoma. ALL of the switches should be illuminated (ex 4x4), and there should be a foglight "on" indicator. My biggest complaint, like others, is the transmission. The transmission seems to down shift too quickly. After slowing down to turn a corner, it "hunts" to find the right gear. This should be addressed by Toyota.

Favorite Features

Exterior Styling. I peeled off the TRD graphics (too gaudy for me), and love the style of the truck. It also seems to have tons of power. The composite bed, and tie down rails are brilliant!! MPG isn't bad 16-20 around town, 20-22 highway. Pockets in bed are handy too!

Suggested Improvements

TRANSMISSION - this is a common complaint. Also, the foglight switch, or dash, should have a "FOGLIGHTS ON" indicator light. A light for the bed would be nice. Storage for a laptop (like F-150) would be nice too. The Compass / Temp indicator is not readable in sunlight.

HIghly disappointed.
By steve3003

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I WAS excited about my new truck. Then the following things happened, in no particular order: I realized JUST HOW SHORT the bed was. My Transmission slipped-- repeatedly. My radio turned off... and on... and off... I learned that the 4.0 V-6 power is a lightweight, and tediously boring to drive. (Even when the transmission does what it's supposed to. I learned that a slow, boring engine can STILL only get 18 MPG. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without intermittent wipers. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without remote entry. I learned that I should have kept my Dakota. Toyota-- you can do better.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission "fix" still leaves the truck lurching; Get the gas pedal done; replace all stereos at dealer cost with aftermarkets; stop trying to hide behind your reputation for quality, because I don't see it; put an engine under the hood that moves... or at least gets 25 mpg. Either one.

AIR LEAKS/BAD BRAKES
By Bob nebeker

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The rear doors leak air and water, The brakes go to the floor, The radio comes on and off whenever. Other then that it could be a nice Vic.

Favorite Features

floor mats

5sp Tacoma Good Value
By Frank

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2.7 liter with 5 speed, as I commute with my truck. No need for 4x4, only raises insurance. Get very good gas mileage all around. Run 89 octane. Acceleration not too bad, although if going too slow in second gear but too fast for first gear, engine bogs a bit before rpms rise. Performance improved with a K & N filter. The bench seat is comfortable, although the center seat is ridiculous. Should have been an armrest or storage bin in center, like my 86 Toyota pickup. The stereo is not high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination, so I plan on upgrading soon. Many complaints on the blogs about 09 stereos. Recommend deflector for hood. It helps stop pebbles hitting windshield.

Favorite Features

Drivers view from cab is good for a 4x2. Reasonably comfortable bench seat. Tilt/telescopic steering wheel is nice feature. Factory bedliner and sliding tie-downs are awesome. Rear sliding window option very useful. Limited slip differential is excellent for rear drive truck.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the useless center seat. Replace the factory stock stereo with something better, or offer optional upgrade on base models. Intermittent wipers would be nice option on base truck, but manage without.

OK but...
By greg

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I try to get every mile per gallon I can and with this truck I have been able to squeeze 28mpg on the highway and about 25 around town with over inflated tires. It's comfy but... I am a carpenter and when the bed is loaded to about half capacity the head lights are aimed too high and there is no adjustment, the radio turns on and off randomly and has been replaced (still does it) the seat belts get tangled in the rear door, when I use 4 way flashers the dash lights up like Christmas tree, passenger seat belt warning goes on for no reason, ice gets stuck somewhere behind dash and it sounds like a bowling alley.

Favorite Features

Lots of air bags, back up camera, radio sounds good when working, comfy seats, cute but functional little storage compartments in cargo area. Nice ride if you want a car.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger front doors, adjustable head light angle, better seat belt retractors, better (stiffer) rear springs.