2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great Little Truck!
By Dave on 08/05/09 08:37 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only had my Taco for two weeks, but I love it! Interior is laid out logically, and is more comfortable and roomy than I expected. The engine is quiet and peppy even though the tranny has rather high gearing (75 mph at 2500 rpms). The 5sp manual shifts easily and smoothly. The ride is smooth and extremely quiet for a truck. Handling is average, but drives like a car on the highway. Radio and A/C work great. The standard tires and rims don't do much for the looks but ride great and are quiet.

Could be a lot better
By tacova on 07/29/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This could've been a great vehicle but the transmission ECM had to be reset and there is a torque rumble at 25mph. Made in Mexico. This issue has been occurring on many toyotas for a while.

Best taco I've ever bought
By slyonEI on 07/24/09 21:05 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a car on the road most of the time. Drives like a sports car on the dirt roads. 4 seats - 9 cup holders. Very cold A/C. Surprisingly good on gas considering its size. Only real gripes are the always-on speedo lighting (fine until it's dark, then you become popular with the police 'cuz you thought the lights were on). And wipers. I live in the northeast - there is no intermittent setting on the wipers. My '99 base model corolla had that! If it's drizzling it's a pain to hit that every 5 seconds. You put a/c in the thing and power windows...and 9 cup holders. Couldn't you do that Toyota?

No regrets - exactly what I wanted
By Fla Dave on 07/15/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the reg cab base with AC because I plan on owning this truck long after most power options would fail. Occasionally I wish I had gotten power windows, door locks, and the rear window, but I can live without that stuff. I love this truck. I got sideswiped across the front by a red light runner going 40, and you could hardly tell the truck had been hit. It's tough. But mostly I love the confidence of everyone from my mechanic to strangers telling me it was a good choice. I paid the TMV out the door (incl tax and BS) so I got it for a good price. Edmunds was the best helper I had in the process. I took it on a long road trip up north and it did well in the mountains.

Excellent truck
By johnpend1 on 07/15/09 16:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

My previous truck was a "plain vanilla" 1993 4-cyl 2-WD Toyota pickup, so this was quite an upgrade. Power windows! AC! Reviews describing as a car on the inside, truck on the outside are accurate. Enough power so far, and the auto tranny seems OK. A great all-around vehicle for driving and light hauling.

My Kids Like It
By ToyTaco on 07/15/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

(+) Passenger airbag auto off -Head room -Cabin storage -Big side mirrors -Bright headlamps -Radio controls (-) Engine noise...chain drive -TPMS

Spicy TACO
By sfetty on 07/04/09 14:48 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have just over 8000 miles on my Taco and am very pleased with the truck. Adequate power, comfortable ride, good looks and fun to drive.

Great midsize choice
By DCR on 07/02/09 12:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I traded in my 2004 Tacoma for the dbl cab v6 and I am very happy. The interior is much better and I have the JBL sound system and it is awesome. I pull a 5200lb trailer with it. I was worried it wouldn't do it but was pleasantly surprised, you can tell it's there but the v6 has no problem towing it. The rear camera is a bit overrated because it's a bubble type view but after awhile of using it you get accustomed to it. Overall these trucks are perfect for the mid-size class.

Transmission problems
By ben_talla on 07/02/09 12:35 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have the SR5 4x4 off road. The good - rides nice, has power, handles well. The Bad - auto transmission has no sense at all. Drops into 1st gear on slow turns and downshifts when it should not. Toyota refuses to address the problems. Seating is low and the lack of available power seats which I thought I could live with, adds to the mix... has me trading back to Nissan with only 3K miles. Tranny drives me nuts.

Finally got my Tacoma
By CPB333 on 06/27/09 11:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have been wanting to purchase this truck since they redesigned it and I finally got it in June 09. I am very happy with my purchase. The truck rides great, handles well has plenty of storage and hauling ability. I got the TRD sport model fully loaded with every option I could add. I really like the JBL stereo but the sub in the back seems to vibrate the plastic interior on particular notes but overall it sounds great and was a good upgrade. The v6 has plenty of power and acceleration to merge on the freeway or pull out into traffic. I loaded the bed up the second day we had it with a heavy reclining sofa and couldn't even tell it was there when driving.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*