Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

I Made A Great Choice!
By Steve

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I made a great choice in purchasing the Toyota Tacoma. In the past 7 months I can report no major problems. Besides the less then impressive gas mileage the only problem I had was erratic down & up shifting problems. The transmission was not down shifting or up shifting smoothly at slower speeds and corners. I took the Tacoma back to the dealer and they did an “ECU Calibration” update to the computer. Since the update to the computer, I have not had the erratic shifting problems. The V6 power is there when you need it, and it handles just fine. The ride is a truck, I expected that. It’s a fun truck to drive!

Favorite Features

I love the exterior design; I think it’s the best looking midsize truck out on the road. There are many useful storage compartments

Suggested Improvements

Lay out a few of the switches and accessory jacks in a more user friendly location. The interior is laid out pretty good except for the row of switch’s (AUX jack, cig lighter, A- Trac, AUX power) below the fan & heat/cold controls. They are very hard to see or use when driving.

wish i still had my old 99 taco
By david

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

traded my 99 for this thru the frame recall/buyback and have been very displeased. first didn't get delay wipers with basic package. had radio replaced before 10k kept going off/changing stations. clutch started slipping at 20k miles repaired under warranty. on hot days clutch pedal creaks. leaf springs started making creaking at 10k had new silencer pads installed under warranty. the traction buzzer is VERY annoying if you slide sideways. ice builds up around front output of t-case on wet slushy snowy roads makes bumping under floorboards.

Favorite Features

do like the cd player good under seat storage

Suggested Improvements

do real world testing before you sell a new model/feature. more quality control checks before sending out of factory

Very nice truck, but not perfect.
By PB65stang

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used with 6k on it with the TRD Sport and tow packages. The truck is great looking, and seems to have good build quality and reliability. However, at only 15k it does have a couple rattles and my radio has already gone out once (replaced by dealer). Fuel economy at first was not great, but I actually get better MPG at 75 mph than at 65, probably averaging 18 mpg total. The back seat in the Double Cab is tight for adults as it is - forget about it in the Access Cab. Four adults drove from KS to CO, and the people in the back were slightly cramped (both below 5'10"). The V6 is plenty powerful, and ride comfort is good for a truck (I drive 25k a year too).

Favorite Features

Style with Sport package, front seat space, steering wheel controls, Aux input, backup camera, power and smoothness from V6. Tows well.

Suggested Improvements

Seems like it should have more backseat room. Needs better rear springs, better radio, and a little better interior build quality (at 15k, as many rattles than my 250k Avalon).

TRD w/ Bilsteins
By Norm Silver

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was aware of the transmission complaints so the first thing I did was go to an aftermarket tranny shop and had them service the automatic and put in Royal Purple full synthetic fluid and also check it out on their computer. Then I installed a cold air intake and took it to the tire shop where they let the air out of the tires and pumped in Nitrogen. This one has the 16 inch tire option and I can see there is already some inside tire wear. I'll be rotating tires every 5,000 miles to assure good tire wear. The acceleration is good, fuel economy is 22-24 hwy and 18-20 in town. Would I do this again? Yes. It is a decent truck and I like the size and appearance. I plan to replace the radio soon.

Favorite Features

Instrument cluster is easy to read. Good power and acceleration. Good visibility for me. I did get all of the amenities too.

Suggested Improvements

Look into whatever it is that causes the automatic transmission to be so sloppy and have varying shift points. Try to correct the reason for the inside wear on the 265-70-16 tires.

Cheap truck
By DM

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Cheap truck. Plastic bed, unboxed frame rails and suspension components cheap compared to domestics. Lots of cheap interior plastic, and seems like it overall is just built inferior. Should have bought the Dakota or a 1/2 ton domestic. Throttle recalls, Rusty frame recalls. etc. Toyata has lost all quality control.

Favorite Features

Styling is OK.

Suggested Improvements

Study domestics and improve accordingly.