Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nice Truck
By RP

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a well built truck, I wish seats were a little taller. Transmission seems to lag at times. Plenty of power, and smooth ride considering it's a truck. Brakes could be a little tighter, but a fun truck to drive.

Favorite Features

Backup camera, radio controls on steering wheel, and extra attention safety.

Suggested Improvements

Fix sluggish transmission, better tire options for a Prerunner.

Overall... decent!
By Toe Knee

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is amazing. I got the TRD Off Road package and it rides like a champ. With the upgraded Bilstein shocks and better tires than SR5 model, the truck rides amazingly. Although I've only owned the truck for a very short time, I'm sure I'll be owning this very truck for many, many years to come.

Favorite Features

Reverse camera, rear locker, acceleration. For a truck, it really moves.

Suggested Improvements

A must have for all vehicles today... automatic windows. Up and down! Make it to where I can open and close my tailgate with ease. You should just have to pull the handle and walk away without fear of it slamming down.

Almost perfect, but the tranny!
By Mike

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Only had the Taco for about 2 days when I noticed the transmission responds poorly. Usually when making a left or right turn, as you slow the motor revs. If you're still rolling (less than 10mph) then accelerate, even gently, the engine revs up to 2K before clunking into second. So I've been left essentially stopping mid turn before pulling away. IMO, a dangerous design flaw that's going to get someone T-boned or killed some day. Otherwise, a pretty decent truck. Some of the interior plastic is a little cheap, but it's a truck, so no big deal.

Favorite Features

Pretty good MPG, truck bed is long enough for me, looks good, GREAT turn radius for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Acknowledge that the tranny is a major risk factor for a collision, and then find a fix. What's with this "drive by wire" garbage? You push the gas, the engine should go, the transmission should turn the wheels. Not rev but still slow down.

Poorly Functioning Transmission
By Tacomashane

This truck has had transmission issues since the day I bought it. Toyota refuses to admit it is a problem, even though it is well documented on the internet. Transmission continually slips when accelerating after a turn or even going over a speed bump. There is a clunking/jumping effect around 30mph when letting off gas then getting back on the gas. Also have had an annoying buzzing sound from under my glove compartment and a rattling window control panel. Body dents very easily. Very worried that transmission will fail before my 36k warranty.

Favorite Features

Appearance, height, hood scoop.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the transmission!

Very Pleased
By drosian

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was being lured to the 09 Tundra due to my towing needs I have a 5000lb travel trailer. The dealership recommended I get the Tundra but I am not a fan of the tundra in short it reminds of a sports car. I want a truck that is sporty and functional the Tacoma fits this desire. I have towed my trailer with the Tacoma and it has no problem power wise. I would say you can feel the weight behind you but the Tacoma has plenty of power to handle it. The only complaint I could offer is the daytime illumination of the radio and compass isn't adequate you can't see the display if it's sunny. Other than that I have had the tire light come on and upon checking tire pressure they are fine.

Favorite Features

Comfort, premium sound system

Suggested Improvements

instrument illumination