2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Almost perfect, but the tranny!
By Mike on 10/02/09 04:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Only had the Taco for about 2 days when I noticed the transmission responds poorly. Usually when making a left or right turn, as you slow the motor revs. If you're still rolling (less than 10mph) then accelerate, even gently, the engine revs up to 2K before clunking into second. So I've been left essentially stopping mid turn before pulling away. IMO, a dangerous design flaw that's going to get someone T-boned or killed some day. Otherwise, a pretty decent truck. Some of the interior plastic is a little cheap, but it's a truck, so no big deal.

Safey Problems
By befuddled on 10/01/09 17:13 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I would simply suggest anyone buying one pay particular attention to the automatic transmission. It is computer driven and you notice the transmission not engaging when it should after turns and when you start again say at a light and have not come to a complete stop. This could easily leave you in a vulnerable spot when you least expect it. Check Edmunds.com and read the complaints. Buyer beware as Toyota and the dealer will leave you high and dry with the phrase normal characteristic.

Poorly Functioning Transmission
By Tacomashane on 09/30/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck has had transmission issues since the day I bought it. Toyota refuses to admit it is a problem, even though it is well documented on the internet. Transmission continually slips when accelerating after a turn or even going over a speed bump. There is a clunking/jumping effect around 30mph when letting off gas then getting back on the gas. Also have had an annoying buzzing sound from under my glove compartment and a rattling window control panel. Body dents very easily. Very worried that transmission will fail before my 36k warranty.

Transmission Trouble
By DeeQ101 on 09/24/09 17:45 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck only 6 months and the transmission slips. I thought the other day I was going to be T- Boned because the transmission slipped as I was leaving an intersection. I brought my concerns to the dealer and they took it for a drive. They found the transmission does indeed slip. They contacted the Toyota head office and I have not yet heard anything from them. Are they (Toyota) going to wait until someone is seriously injured or killed before they address this problem. I've been looking on different postings and I am not the only one with this problem, thousands of others too.

Toyota Never Again
By Nick on 09/22/09 13:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the Tacoma. So far the engine sounds like a diesel engine, its burns oil when first started and the stereo has a mind of its own (on, off, on, off volume up and down by itself). Toyota factory rep. says everything is normal. It's safe to say that I will never acquire another Toyota again. Back to my Jeeps.

2009 Tacoma extended cab
By A Lincoln on 09/03/09 20:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great truck and fun, comfortable to drive. I've only had it a short time, but know I will enjoy the vehicle. I know some reviews say the ride is stiff, but it rides more like a car than a truck. I got the SR5 package and have no complaints, wish my old 89 Toyota Truck had the ride this one has.

Very Pleased
By drosian on 09/02/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was being lured to the 09 Tundra due to my towing needs I have a 5000lb travel trailer. The dealership recommended I get the Tundra but I am not a fan of the tundra in short it reminds of a sports car. I want a truck that is sporty and functional the Tacoma fits this desire. I have towed my trailer with the Tacoma and it has no problem power wise. I would say you can feel the weight behind you but the Tacoma has plenty of power to handle it. The only complaint I could offer is the daytime illumination of the radio and compass isn't adequate you can't see the display if it's sunny. Other than that I have had the tire light come on and upon checking tire pressure they are fine.

TRD Off-Road 6M
By TRD OffRoad 6M on 08/19/09 06:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I waited nearly two months to have the truck built with the 6speed manual...well worth the wait! Good power, good room inside, good storage behind and under rear seats. Rides very smooth. 6 speed is fun to drive.

Don't know what happened
By gir on 08/12/09 15:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck did me great for the first 5,000 miles. I had no problems with the 4x4. But for some reason, and the dealership can't figure it out, my tranny dumped on me. Don't know why. I didn't do anything that this truck couldn't handle but it broke.

Fantastic Truck
By towens on 08/05/09 15:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my 99 GMC half ton on the "Cash for Clunkers" for a double cab TRD Off-Road and never looked back. I have wanted this truck for a very long time and I am not disappointed. Front & rear seats are big enough for 4 full size men and is comfortable on long hauls. Compared to the old GMC, the engine ad breaks are fantastic (don't see what others are talking about??). My only complaint is no XM radio?? The locking rear differential is a must have with the 4x2. Towed my 5,000 boat with no problem (need trailer brakes). Would recommend to anyone looking for a mid- size truck.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*