2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat on 12/21/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

Still undecided if I will keep truck
By undrgnd40 on 12/19/09 09:17 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the exterior and interior styling. There are a lot of complaints about the seats and brakes, but it's all in perspective. So far I don't have any complaints about the transmission except for no dipstick to check fluid. BF Goodrich Tires are too noisy and rough. They have an aggressive design but are unimpressive in snow. Radio sounded awful at any volume so I replaced it right away. Three child seats fit in the back seat with little effort. I like the four wheel drive and the stability control. Still, I might have to trade for something with a third row seat.

09 Prerunner V6 Access Cab SR5
By Robert on 11/17/09 08:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Purchased earlier this year but waited to see what issues cropped up before doing a review. Overall, I have been pleased. I have not experienced the transmission issues others have had (yet), but have run into a couple of minor problems. The radio tends to shut off automatically, or get stuck on a station and the buttons won't respond. Also, when I don't have the A/C fan running and the air button is set to recycle, it will switch to outside air randomly even though I don't have the selector set to heat or defrost. My only other complaint is the bed surface is so slick that groceries are strewn everywhere during the 3 mile drive home from the market.

This truck saved my life
By jamie75 on 11/08/09 11:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off I loved this truck for the 6 weeks I had it. Gas mileage was about 20 mixed city/hwy. The seats made my low back feel better than my couch at home. Last week a guy ran a light and I t-boned him at full speed. The truck is a total loss but other than neck and back pain I walked away. I highly recommend this truck and as soon as the insurance works it out I'll buy another one.

Automatic Transmission Problems
By ben on 11/05/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

09 SR5 4x4 CC. The 09 with automatic transmission has design flaws which cause the vehicle to drop into low gear and race the engine. Not only dangerous, but maddening.

Nice Truck
By RP on 11/01/09 08:04 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a well built truck, I wish seats were a little taller. Transmission seems to lag at times. Plenty of power, and smooth ride considering it's a truck. Brakes could be a little tighter, but a fun truck to drive.

A darn good buy
By Mike on 10/31/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Don't think you can beat this one for the money. Good, strong engine and real driver comfort. The only pickup in this price range which gives you a full size spare tire as standard equipment. Installed aftermarket rain shields so I can leave the window open in the rain - very necessary and worth the cost. Only complaints: seems like exterior paint was applied with a microscope - scratches very easily; also problems with the radio/CD player, which will have to be replaced. However, the audio quality is quite good - no complaint there. Good gas mileage on the highway - this little truck feels like a flying bird at highway speeds. Overall, very satisfactory.

Good economical truck
By Raymond on 10/15/09 19:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have had 3 Toyotas 2 Tacomas and a T100 all have been good reliable vehicles. This access cab 4cyl is great riding and handling. There is some wind noise but not as much as the previous trucks. It's a truck not a Lexus. For those who are concerned about MPG this may be a truck to look at. I read many reviews and went on www.fueleconomy.gov and read the mpg's individuals were getting, not the EPA rating. They all said 21-22 something. I questioned it,but this does get 21 consistently with all in town driving with much stop&go. I am not punching hard on take offs but am not babying it either. Use it carrying wood for winter and it does it easily. Great lite-medium duty truck.

Tacoma Transmission Problems
By PreRunner on 10/12/09 10:29 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased a new 2009 Tacoma in May of 2009. After purchasing, I began to notice significant transmission slippage when slowing to below 10 mph and then accelerating. I googled Toyota transmission problem and discovered many other Tacoma owners have the same problem. The dealership has been sympathetic, especially after they test drove my Tacoma and then discovered that every Tacoma on their lot had the same problem. They have told me that Toyota is working on a software "patch" to solve the problem. Please do not buy a Tacoma until this problem is resolved. It is dangerous to drive with this problem.

Overall... decent!
By Toe Knee on 10/05/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is amazing. I got the TRD Off Road package and it rides like a champ. With the upgraded Bilstein shocks and better tires than SR5 model, the truck rides amazingly. Although I've only owned the truck for a very short time, I'm sure I'll be owning this very truck for many, many years to come.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*