Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2009 sr5 double cab 4x4, my mistake
By joe

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not happy with build quality, ventilation system did not work and Windows fogged very badly but was repaired under warranty. Air conditioner is very weak on hot days, after 4 trips to dealer it is better but still not what I expected from Toyota. The radio turns itself off and on during hot weather, still not replaced by dealer. Paint job is not consistent and has foreign material in it. Lots of wind noise. Rear springs bottom out easily with very light loads. Composite bed tie downs should be in front of bed not rear. I can not believe I have to go to dealer to check the auto trans. Fluid level. Beware Toyota quality is no longer what it once was. I think I will soon be driving a f150

Favorite Features

high resale, 4x4, backup camera, fold down rear seats with lots of storage under and behind them, fuel mileage.

Suggested Improvements

improve the design and build quality, cut down on wind noise, install a light for the bed, go back to a steel bed with real truck springs under it, install a dip stick on the auto trans. so checking the fluid level is not a dealer only thing.

First Toyota
By 1st time buyer

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did some research and have to say I got what I paid for. Bought mine on August and so far no problems. Love the stability and the mileage so far. Handles well and I feel in control and secure. Had a Nissan before that lasted 10 years and I hope to keep this car for at least the same amount of time. I do however have had issues with the paint job, bird droppings have caused the paint to kind of melt. My Nissan had 10 years and never showed that kind of wear for the bird droppings. Also the front and rear seats could have more space and placed higher. Overall I give it a 88 on a 100 scale.

Favorite Features

Back-up cam, mileage, storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint job. Also they should include a feature that would allowed the storage bins in the cab to be locked. More room for the driver and passenger.

Uncomfortable seats for a small person
By Ronnie

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck feels like a car, I like it but I unfortunately don't fit in the truck. I am having problems with the seats they are to low and hurt my back, head rest to high. The seats seem to be made for a large person, I am small. I am looking for cushions to raise myself up to a higher level so my back does not hurt and the head rest is not pushing me forward. This will be very sad if I can not find a way to get comfortable.

Favorite Features

It is a truck and feels like a car.

Suggested Improvements

Better seats, seats are super uncomfortable.

A Little Disappointed
By Maryland Mike

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck for home improvements and for utility reasons. I had a 4Runner before this and was a fan of Toyota. I love the 4Dr long bed and couldn't be happier with overall design and function. I love the fold down back seats and tie downs in the bed. I had trouble with passenger side window sometimes doesn't go down without driver first using driver side switch. Passenger side speaker seems blown out from the start. Transmission hunts after slowing to make a turn. Wiper speed switch seems to be reversed compared to old 4Runner, meaning what should be longer time between wipes is actually shorter time. That combined with passenger window issue makes me think wiring problems.

Favorite Features

Back up camera, interior design including plastic covering on back side of back seats and storage areas, tie down hooks and storage bins in bed. Towing ability and gas mileage. Handsome exterior looks.

Suggested Improvements

Toyota has to fix the hunting transmission at lower speeds, its annoying. Fog lights "on" indicator would be nice. For my truck, fix the passenger window problem and bad speaker. It seems the wiper switch is improperly wired.

Just OK
By Just OK

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because of the financial issues of the big three and the historical reliability success of the Toyotas, I decided to purchase the 2009 TRD Taco. Although the truck seems to perform fairly well, the transmission issues are really annoying. What's even more annoying is that Toyota claims that this is not a problem and is that it is performing as designed. Although the truck has some great features, it also has some flaws. I am now concerned with the overall reliability and wish I would have purchased a Ford. Having said that, I am pleased that it can tow a trailer with four motorcycles and carry four adults rather effortlessly in the mountains of Colorado.

Favorite Features

Good looks, towing capability for a small truck, decent off road performance and good overall utility vehicle with enough room for my small family. The 120 V receptacle in the bed is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission problems. No cargo light or intermittent wipers. annoying horn when locking and unlocking. Cheap carpet. Relentless seat belt reminder. Cruise control is plus or minus 3 MPH. Needs a "real" locking differential in the rear.