2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
I Made A Great Choice!
By Steve on 02/20/10 05:58 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I made a great choice in purchasing the Toyota Tacoma. In the past 7 months I can report no major problems. Besides the less then impressive gas mileage the only problem I had was erratic down & up shifting problems. The transmission was not down shifting or up shifting smoothly at slower speeds and corners. I took the Tacoma back to the dealer and they did an “ECU Calibration” update to the computer. Since the update to the computer, I have not had the erratic shifting problems. The V6 power is there when you need it, and it handles just fine. The ride is a truck, I expected that. It’s a fun truck to drive!

wish i still had my old 99 taco
By david on 02/09/10 14:09 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

traded my 99 for this thru the frame recall/buyback and have been very displeased. first didn't get delay wipers with basic package. had radio replaced before 10k kept going off/changing stations. clutch started slipping at 20k miles repaired under warranty. on hot days clutch pedal creaks. leaf springs started making creaking at 10k had new silencer pads installed under warranty. the traction buzzer is VERY annoying if you slide sideways. ice builds up around front output of t-case on wet slushy snowy roads makes bumping under floorboards.

Very nice truck, but not perfect.
By PB65stang on 02/04/10 12:43 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought the truck used with 6k on it with the TRD Sport and tow packages. The truck is great looking, and seems to have good build quality and reliability. However, at only 15k it does have a couple rattles and my radio has already gone out once (replaced by dealer). Fuel economy at first was not great, but I actually get better MPG at 75 mph than at 65, probably averaging 18 mpg total. The back seat in the Double Cab is tight for adults as it is - forget about it in the Access Cab. Four adults drove from KS to CO, and the people in the back were slightly cramped (both below 5'10"). The V6 is plenty powerful, and ride comfort is good for a truck (I drive 25k a year too).

TRD w/ Bilsteins
By Norm Silver on 01/29/10 23:55 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was aware of the transmission complaints so the first thing I did was go to an aftermarket tranny shop and had them service the automatic and put in Royal Purple full synthetic fluid and also check it out on their computer. Then I installed a cold air intake and took it to the tire shop where they let the air out of the tires and pumped in Nitrogen. This one has the 16 inch tire option and I can see there is already some inside tire wear. I'll be rotating tires every 5,000 miles to assure good tire wear. The acceleration is good, fuel economy is 22-24 hwy and 18-20 in town. Would I do this again? Yes. It is a decent truck and I like the size and appearance. I plan to replace the radio soon.

Cheap truck
By DM on 01/27/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Cheap truck. Plastic bed, unboxed frame rails and suspension components cheap compared to domestics. Lots of cheap interior plastic, and seems like it overall is just built inferior. Should have bought the Dakota or a 1/2 ton domestic. Throttle recalls, Rusty frame recalls. etc. Toyata has lost all quality control.

Nice Truck - Xmission could be better
By Ed on 01/13/10 12:16 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck in June 09. I have had it for about 7 months now. I like the look of the Tacoma. ALL of the switches should be illuminated (ex 4x4), and there should be a foglight "on" indicator. My biggest complaint, like others, is the transmission. The transmission seems to down shift too quickly. After slowing down to turn a corner, it "hunts" to find the right gear. This should be addressed by Toyota.

HIghly disappointed.
By steve3003 on 01/02/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I WAS excited about my new truck. Then the following things happened, in no particular order: I realized JUST HOW SHORT the bed was. My Transmission slipped-- repeatedly. My radio turned off... and on... and off... I learned that the 4.0 V-6 power is a lightweight, and tediously boring to drive. (Even when the transmission does what it's supposed to. I learned that a slow, boring engine can STILL only get 18 MPG. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without intermittent wipers. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without remote entry. I learned that I should have kept my Dakota. Toyota-- you can do better.

AIR LEAKS/BAD BRAKES
By Bob nebeker on 01/01/10 08:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

The rear doors leak air and water, The brakes go to the floor, The radio comes on and off whenever. Other then that it could be a nice Vic.

5sp Tacoma Good Value
By Frank on 12/24/09 19:29 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2.7 liter with 5 speed, as I commute with my truck. No need for 4x4, only raises insurance. Get very good gas mileage all around. Run 89 octane. Acceleration not too bad, although if going too slow in second gear but too fast for first gear, engine bogs a bit before rpms rise. Performance improved with a K & N filter. The bench seat is comfortable, although the center seat is ridiculous. Should have been an armrest or storage bin in center, like my 86 Toyota pickup. The stereo is not high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination, so I plan on upgrading soon. Many complaints on the blogs about 09 stereos. Recommend deflector for hood. It helps stop pebbles hitting windshield.

OK but...
By greg on 12/23/09 09:48 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I try to get every mile per gallon I can and with this truck I have been able to squeeze 28mpg on the highway and about 25 around town with over inflated tires. It's comfy but... I am a carpenter and when the bed is loaded to about half capacity the head lights are aimed too high and there is no adjustment, the radio turns on and off randomly and has been replaced (still does it) the seat belts get tangled in the rear door, when I use 4 way flashers the dash lights up like Christmas tree, passenger seat belt warning goes on for no reason, ice gets stuck somewhere behind dash and it sounds like a bowling alley.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*