Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love my Tacoma
By Cleveland Ohio

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new. This is my first pick up truck. It has lots of power for a 4 cyl and rides nice. I purchased it as a second vehicle so I didn't get all of the extras just AC and sliding rear window. It seems to get around 21-23 MPG mixed mostly city driving. A few months after driving it i did experience the feeling of riding over railroad tracks when decelerating. I heard it was due to the torque converter not disengaging but since the tranny shifted excellent, I didn't want the dealer to mess with it. It seems to have gone away on its own and I haven't noticed it all Summer. I like the fact that if I get my speed up to 38 mph, the od kicks in and will stay eng down to 30.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4cyl engine, nice riding, ice cold AC but don't really need it much with sliding rear window. Great MPG for a pickup truck.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the bench seats and offer bucket seats(I see that they have done this with the 2011 4x4 AT reg cab). Needs a locking tailgate. Also needs to add a wide view mirror to the drivers side outside mirror, major blind spot on base cab due to the pillar by the rear of the seat.

Very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw7

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with my 3rd 4WD SR5 Access cab. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1999 both were 4-cyls-std. My latest is a 6-auto with TRD Sport Package. Like others my 3rd radio solved the problem, but otherwise this truck is great. I use it as a daily driver but often trailer full sized cars, which it handles easily. I test drove several different Tacos, and a Frontier before picking the TRD Sport. I found the Off-Road too stiff, and the regular SR5 seats lacking. I have no issues with the seating position some reviews mention. The engine is noisy at idle with the hood open, but I don't consider the engine noisy at high speed on the highway. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Extensive safety features, V6 power, towing capacity, Toyota reliability and quality, TRD seats, composite bed, LED tail-lights.

Suggested Improvements

The TRD sport ride is still stiff. More high end options such as leather and heated seats.

One Year Later
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck one year now. Some marks have dropped a bit I am sure. The 4 cyl w/ the 4x4 and extended cab is adequate most of the time. The only time I notice it bogging out is on the highway going up a big hill. If you're going 70 mph prepare to drop to fourth to maintain 60 mph. Mixed feelings on the traction control; it, along with the abs seem to do more harm than good. Don't be afraid to turn it off (in the right circumstances that can be a lot of fun). Fuel economy is pretty good (~23 mpg. Lot of city driving). Excellent in the 50-60 mph range (keep the revs under 2k). My Buddy just bought a ranger, I'm shaking my head at the "deal" he got vs what he'll spend in gas. She's a tank.

Favorite Features

Adjustable tie downs, car-like handling, fuel economy, off-road fortitude, ladies like it, 9 cup holders, plastic bed, storage cubbyholes, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

2 speed wipers? traction control, bolts to bed & anchors for tailgate starting to rust, sure would like to see a nice little diesel like the Euros can get.

Good reliable truck
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Tacoma brand new. All in all this is a good vehicle, but parts are rather pricey ($225 for a tail light which got cracked accidentally). Four cylinder engine is alright in the power department, the five speed manual shifts easily, and the 4x4 performs excellent in the snow, I mean rock solid! I've had this truck 32k miles and did nothing to it mechanically, besides regular maintenance. Too bad I have to sell, need to get rid of the payments.

Favorite Features

The part-time 4 wheel drive. The stock radio/CD player is excellent sound quality! Fuel economy is about 20-22 mpg on the highway. 17 mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

The interior design quality. Surfaces scratch and stain easily, even if you're careful. More plastic in and on this vehicle than I had hoped for. Interior room a little sparse, recommend extended cab.

A number of issues
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck in June '09. Radio turned on and off by itself. (Dealer replaced, took 6 months). First time I washed grill paint flaked off in chunks(Dealer replaced). When purchased dealer outsourced bed cover- problem? Toyota does not make locking tailgates parts-outsourced. Waited 5 months on a generic brand from Canada. Truck is very dependable-gas mileage could be better-13-18 tops. If I had to do over again, I will go back to my Ford F150.