2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews 3

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
HIghly disappointed.
By steve3003 on 01/02/10 13:55 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I WAS excited about my new truck. Then the following things happened, in no particular order: I realized JUST HOW SHORT the bed was. My Transmission slipped-- repeatedly. My radio turned off... and on... and off... I learned that the 4.0 V-6 power is a lightweight, and tediously boring to drive. (Even when the transmission does what it's supposed to. I learned that a slow, boring engine can STILL only get 18 MPG. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without intermittent wipers. I learned that there actually are $30,000.00 vehicles today without remote entry. I learned that I should have kept my Dakota. Toyota-- you can do better.

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat on 12/21/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

Still undecided if I will keep truck
By undrgnd40 on 12/19/09 09:17 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I like the exterior and interior styling. There are a lot of complaints about the seats and brakes, but it's all in perspective. So far I don't have any complaints about the transmission except for no dipstick to check fluid. BF Goodrich Tires are too noisy and rough. They have an aggressive design but are unimpressive in snow. Radio sounded awful at any volume so I replaced it right away. Three child seats fit in the back seat with little effort. I like the four wheel drive and the stability control. Still, I might have to trade for something with a third row seat.

This truck saved my life
By jamie75 on 11/08/09 11:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off I loved this truck for the 6 weeks I had it. Gas mileage was about 20 mixed city/hwy. The seats made my low back feel better than my couch at home. Last week a guy ran a light and I t-boned him at full speed. The truck is a total loss but other than neck and back pain I walked away. I highly recommend this truck and as soon as the insurance works it out I'll buy another one.

Automatic Transmission Problems
By ben on 11/05/09 12:58 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

09 SR5 4x4 CC. The 09 with automatic transmission has design flaws which cause the vehicle to drop into low gear and race the engine. Not only dangerous, but maddening.

Nice Truck
By RP on 11/01/09 08:04 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall a well built truck, I wish seats were a little taller. Transmission seems to lag at times. Plenty of power, and smooth ride considering it's a truck. Brakes could be a little tighter, but a fun truck to drive.

Overall... decent!
By Toe Knee on 10/05/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

This truck is amazing. I got the TRD Off Road package and it rides like a champ. With the upgraded Bilstein shocks and better tires than SR5 model, the truck rides amazingly. Although I've only owned the truck for a very short time, I'm sure I'll be owning this very truck for many, many years to come.

Almost perfect, but the tranny!
By Mike on 10/02/09 04:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Only had the Taco for about 2 days when I noticed the transmission responds poorly. Usually when making a left or right turn, as you slow the motor revs. If you're still rolling (less than 10mph) then accelerate, even gently, the engine revs up to 2K before clunking into second. So I've been left essentially stopping mid turn before pulling away. IMO, a dangerous design flaw that's going to get someone T-boned or killed some day. Otherwise, a pretty decent truck. Some of the interior plastic is a little cheap, but it's a truck, so no big deal.

Poorly Functioning Transmission
By Tacomashane on 09/30/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

This truck has had transmission issues since the day I bought it. Toyota refuses to admit it is a problem, even though it is well documented on the internet. Transmission continually slips when accelerating after a turn or even going over a speed bump. There is a clunking/jumping effect around 30mph when letting off gas then getting back on the gas. Also have had an annoying buzzing sound from under my glove compartment and a rattling window control panel. Body dents very easily. Very worried that transmission will fail before my 36k warranty.

Very Pleased
By drosian on 09/02/09 11:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was being lured to the 09 Tundra due to my towing needs I have a 5000lb travel trailer. The dealership recommended I get the Tundra but I am not a fan of the tundra in short it reminds of a sports car. I want a truck that is sporty and functional the Tacoma fits this desire. I have towed my trailer with the Tacoma and it has no problem power wise. I would say you can feel the weight behind you but the Tacoma has plenty of power to handle it. The only complaint I could offer is the daytime illumination of the radio and compass isn't adequate you can't see the display if it's sunny. Other than that I have had the tire light come on and upon checking tire pressure they are fine.