2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
2009 sr5 double cab 4x4, my mistake
By joe on 05/16/10 20:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not happy with build quality, ventilation system did not work and Windows fogged very badly but was repaired under warranty. Air conditioner is very weak on hot days, after 4 trips to dealer it is better but still not what I expected from Toyota. The radio turns itself off and on during hot weather, still not replaced by dealer. Paint job is not consistent and has foreign material in it. Lots of wind noise. Rear springs bottom out easily with very light loads. Composite bed tie downs should be in front of bed not rear. I can not believe I have to go to dealer to check the auto trans. Fluid level. Beware Toyota quality is no longer what it once was. I think I will soon be driving a f150

First Toyota
By 1st time buyer on 04/12/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I did some research and have to say I got what I paid for. Bought mine on August and so far no problems. Love the stability and the mileage so far. Handles well and I feel in control and secure. Had a Nissan before that lasted 10 years and I hope to keep this car for at least the same amount of time. I do however have had issues with the paint job, bird droppings have caused the paint to kind of melt. My Nissan had 10 years and never showed that kind of wear for the bird droppings. Also the front and rear seats could have more space and placed higher. Overall I give it a 88 on a 100 scale.

Uncomfortable seats for a small person
By Ronnie on 04/02/10 17:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The truck feels like a car, I like it but I unfortunately don't fit in the truck. I am having problems with the seats they are to low and hurt my back, head rest to high. The seats seem to be made for a large person, I am small. I am looking for cushions to raise myself up to a higher level so my back does not hurt and the head rest is not pushing me forward. This will be very sad if I can not find a way to get comfortable.

A Little Disappointed
By Maryland Mike on 03/29/10 05:44 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck for home improvements and for utility reasons. I had a 4Runner before this and was a fan of Toyota. I love the 4Dr long bed and couldn't be happier with overall design and function. I love the fold down back seats and tie downs in the bed. I had trouble with passenger side window sometimes doesn't go down without driver first using driver side switch. Passenger side speaker seems blown out from the start. Transmission hunts after slowing to make a turn. Wiper speed switch seems to be reversed compared to old 4Runner, meaning what should be longer time between wipes is actually shorter time. That combined with passenger window issue makes me think wiring problems.

Just OK
By Just OK on 03/10/10 12:43 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Because of the financial issues of the big three and the historical reliability success of the Toyotas, I decided to purchase the 2009 TRD Taco. Although the truck seems to perform fairly well, the transmission issues are really annoying. What's even more annoying is that Toyota claims that this is not a problem and is that it is performing as designed. Although the truck has some great features, it also has some flaws. I am now concerned with the overall reliability and wish I would have purchased a Ford. Having said that, I am pleased that it can tow a trailer with four motorcycles and carry four adults rather effortlessly in the mountains of Colorado.

I'm trading it for a Chevy
By tonyjag on 03/10/10 10:39 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted a 4x4 for winter driving and home improvement type errands. The good: the 4 cyl engine is strong, quiet and fuel efficient. The bad: at 60 miles an ignition cable connector on the steering column became loose, payed to get it towed to the dealer, 6 hour wait and didn't get reimbursed for the tow, seats are extremely uncomfortable, clutch pedal creaks, the carpeting is all frayed, first gear impossible to engage unless completely stopped, radio labels are wearing off, bed makes loud noises over every pothole, shift stick boot fell through. In short this is the worst car I've owned and it's not that I'm really picky either, I've been driving a Chrysler for 5 years!

INITIAL REVIEW
By teejay1 on 03/07/10 04:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

i have had the vehicle for about a month now. i bought it used from carmax with 20k miles on it one owner. so far i really like the truck. it rides way better than my 2004 Dakota and the safety features are a real plus. i have dogs so i really like the back up camera feature. i think the brakes are very responsive and the seats feel really nice on a long trip!! the 4.0 V-6 is strong and will set you back in your seat if you punch it. the controls are all laid out well and i love the steering wheel radio controls. what is to be seen is the reliability??? i like to keep my vehicles for well over 200k so i will get back@ say 50k!!

1st & Last Toyota
By disappinted on 03/04/10 09:39 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my first Toyota. Had a lifted 98 Chevy before this. I have had to take the car in to have an exhaust seal replaced. Overall I loved my Chevy better! I felt safe in it. I feel like I and in an aluminum can when it is storming outside. Why are so many dealers going overkill on the fenders? I'm a women and we like trucks too!I have wanted to sell this truck for a while but hate to lose so much money. Now with Toyota NOT really knowing what is wrong with their vehicles, i want to sell it even more.

Huge disappointment
By DisappointedOwner on 02/28/10 10:12 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had my Tacoma for 6 months. I could not be more disappointed. I always thought that Toyota meant quality. It does not. I have had my truck back to the dealership eight times. Once for rattles and rear leaf spring problems. Once for rattles and the bad radio - waited 5 months to get that replaced. Five other times for rattles and squeaks in the doors and dash - still have not got those fixed. Speakers on the passenger side buzz. As soon as I an break even on the truck I'm selling it and buying a Ford. Soft searching shifting at low speeds.

TRD Tacoma
By Luc on 02/28/10 06:31 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned this truck for a year now and have had no issues at all.Gas mileage could be better (18 mpg) combined. The standard Dunlop tires have no lateral grip in the snow. Next year I will purchase a set of steel rims and install snow tires. Engine is loud when you step on it hard. I have had no problems with the transmition that others are talking about.This truck is very comfortable on long trips.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*