Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Not very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw8

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a more positive review earlier by GW7. Now the 3rd radio in my Tacoma is malfunctioning. It will be replaced again under warranty but I now have to question some of Toyota's quality, they just seem to want to keep replacing defective radios until the warranty expires. I have been loyal to Toyota because of reliability, but my patience is wearing thin on this issue.

09 tacoma
By ron191

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Tacoma for almost 2 years. I will soon be ordering radio number 4 due to defects. The first two radios were plagued by volume control knobs that became unresponsive. My current radio went completely haywire with all the buttons doing the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash and headliner have become extremely annoying. Gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cyl. In the summer, I average about 20mpg, in the winter, I average about 18 mpg. My clutch also creaks loudly, more so in the summer. I do like some of the standard features with this truck (vsc, numerous airbags, etc.

I am disappointed in the quality. I purchased a Toyota for their perceived quality but they have cheapened everything up just like everyone else has for the almighty dollar.

Barely a truck
By jequines

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 50,000kms on now with not too much trouble. Stereo went dead within 2 months of buying it, dealership replaced. This truck is terribly underpowered, drove it through the mountains and I was down to 60kph in 3rd gear full throttle. Frame seems weak if I drive down a gravel road I can see the box shaking and twisting independant of the cab quite violently. Box wont hold much wieght, at 600lbs rear suspension is almost fully compressed. Truck gets awesome gas mileage and the styling is great.

Interior feels decent and comfortable, gas mileage is excellent.

New frame, new engine and stronger rear suspension, or stop selling this as a truck as it is not even close to capable of doing what toyota claims....like drive up hills or carry a small load.

Very happy consumer
By ne_yota

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience has been excellent. Zero issues to date (31,000 miles now). I collected every gas receipt since the purchase (6 miles rolling out of dealership), and averaged 20 mpg with a high of 22. Power has been very good. The Sport model suspension is perfect for high-way driving at speed. I have not experienced the issues that others provided here. The AC is almost too cold, no electrical issues, handles very good in the snow, accelerates very well onto the highway, and no body fit issues. The goal is 400,000 miles, and I don't feel that it is unrealistic.

Steering radius is on par, or better than my Golf TDI. The truck has saved me twice on blackice with the traction control. The 2nd time going 60mph. TOTALLY WORTH IT! I now consider it auto AND life insurance. I can't understand those who say it doesn't have good acceleration. Warms up fast in the winter. Rear view camera was considered a novelty at first, but now I miss it when driving other cars.

Heated rear view mirrors for winter time. Brakes are a bit dead feeling. The interior design is kind of weak, especially at the radio area. Obviously splitting hairs here. The rear window is sort of small. The two rubber strips on the roof have come off twice. Glad I didn't opt for the roof rails. I wouldn't have any confidence in them staying put.

Inferior
By GARY

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bad gas mileage and lacks power. Runs a little better when the air is off. This is my first and last Toyota truck. I traded a 95 Suzuki sidekick with 150,000 miles and was a better made vehicle than this thing. My truck has 10,400 miles and already has signs of rust on wheels and frame. Dealer and Toyota agree it is from road abrasion and won't cover problem. I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 50,000 miles and has no signs of rust. A blind man could see that the wheels has very little of the paint on them. The price of the truck should have more accessories. The truck is hard to shift and sometimes impossible to get into reverse. The radio when first purchased had a mind of it's own. Warranty stinks

Body style

Quit being so cheap and guarantee what you sell or sell in your own country. American's want quality not junk.

• SUV