2009 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

Very happy consumer
By ne_yota

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience has been excellent. Zero issues to date (31,000 miles now). I collected every gas receipt since the purchase (6 miles rolling out of dealership), and averaged 20 mpg with a high of 22. Power has been very good. The Sport model suspension is perfect for high-way driving at speed. I have not experienced the issues that others provided here. The AC is almost too cold, no electrical issues, handles very good in the snow, accelerates very well onto the highway, and no body fit issues. The goal is 400,000 miles, and I don't feel that it is unrealistic.

Favorite Features

Steering radius is on par, or better than my Golf TDI. The truck has saved me twice on blackice with the traction control. The 2nd time going 60mph. TOTALLY WORTH IT! I now consider it auto AND life insurance. I can't understand those who say it doesn't have good acceleration. Warms up fast in the winter. Rear view camera was considered a novelty at first, but now I miss it when driving other cars.

Suggested Improvements

Heated rear view mirrors for winter time. Brakes are a bit dead feeling. The interior design is kind of weak, especially at the radio area. Obviously splitting hairs here. The rear window is sort of small. The two rubber strips on the roof have come off twice. Glad I didn't opt for the roof rails. I wouldn't have any confidence in them staying put.

Inferior
By GARY

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bad gas mileage and lacks power. Runs a little better when the air is off. This is my first and last Toyota truck. I traded a 95 Suzuki sidekick with 150,000 miles and was a better made vehicle than this thing. My truck has 10,400 miles and already has signs of rust on wheels and frame. Dealer and Toyota agree it is from road abrasion and won't cover problem. I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 50,000 miles and has no signs of rust. A blind man could see that the wheels has very little of the paint on them. The price of the truck should have more accessories. The truck is hard to shift and sometimes impossible to get into reverse. The radio when first purchased had a mind of it's own. Warranty stinks

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Quit being so cheap and guarantee what you sell or sell in your own country. American's want quality not junk.

Less than expected
By Pride and such...

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Decent quality truck but I expected more from Toyota. We have all seen the mid 80's Toyota pickup still going strong with over 200k miles and I am maintaining the belief that this truck will do the same. Nice ride for a small truck. If you are over 5'10" tall the standard cab bench seat will be uncomfortable. Few trucks get 27- 29 highway mpg. Plenty of power for getting around town and up to speed on the highway. However, the truck is beyond sluggish with any significant payload. Radio changed stations automatically and the volume didn't work at times. Received replacement unit after 2 months of waiting and it does the same thing. Toyota has recall out for floor mats and pedal assembly.

Favorite Features

Gas mileage is easy on the wallet, quality bed liner, easy of use on interior controls, bold styling, 5000 miles between oil changes, cleat and tie system (although one did break), 3 stage paint.

Suggested Improvements

Lumbar support for driver and bucket seats would be nice, a 2.7L I4 that takes six quarts of oil is a shortcut, replace stereo with functioning unit instead of wasting time and money with defective replacements, 3 recalls in 15,000 miles in disappointing.

Acceleration
By Dennis

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed the truck very much from the sound system to the way it handles in snow. I recently have been having a problem that Toyota tells me I have to live with. If I come to a complete stop and than try to accelerate quickly to get into traffic my engine does not respond, almost like it chokes it self out. Toyota is telling me the computer has gotten used to the way I normally drive and will not let me accelerate quicker than normal.

Great Truck Look / Actually Compact Car
By JD Martin

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Downsized from Ram 1500. Big mistake. Could never get comfortable, was like sitting on 2x6 six inches off the ground. No interior storage space for tools, etc. as rear seat only folds down rather than seat portion folding up so very limited what can be carried in cab. Limited sight lines & blind spots even w/ rear seat head rest removed. Don't believe resell value propaganda - was hard to sell even at sharp discount w/ 6K miles. Hard to get in & out while working on farm. More car than truck.

Favorite Features

Great styling and factory bed liner.

Suggested Improvements

raise seats! Redesign for better visibility. Make rear seat raise versus back rest fold down for greater load capacity.

Love my Tacoma
By Cleveland Ohio

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new. This is my first pick up truck. It has lots of power for a 4 cyl and rides nice. I purchased it as a second vehicle so I didn't get all of the extras just AC and sliding rear window. It seems to get around 21-23 MPG mixed mostly city driving. A few months after driving it i did experience the feeling of riding over railroad tracks when decelerating. I heard it was due to the torque converter not disengaging but since the tranny shifted excellent, I didn't want the dealer to mess with it. It seems to have gone away on its own and I haven't noticed it all Summer. I like the fact that if I get my speed up to 38 mph, the od kicks in and will stay eng down to 30.

Favorite Features

Powerful 4cyl engine, nice riding, ice cold AC but don't really need it much with sliding rear window. Great MPG for a pickup truck.

Suggested Improvements

get rid of the bench seats and offer bucket seats(I see that they have done this with the 2011 4x4 AT reg cab). Needs a locking tailgate. Also needs to add a wide view mirror to the drivers side outside mirror, major blind spot on base cab due to the pillar by the rear of the seat.

Very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw7

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with my 3rd 4WD SR5 Access cab. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1999 both were 4-cyls-std. My latest is a 6-auto with TRD Sport Package. Like others my 3rd radio solved the problem, but otherwise this truck is great. I use it as a daily driver but often trailer full sized cars, which it handles easily. I test drove several different Tacos, and a Frontier before picking the TRD Sport. I found the Off-Road too stiff, and the regular SR5 seats lacking. I have no issues with the seating position some reviews mention. The engine is noisy at idle with the hood open, but I don't consider the engine noisy at high speed on the highway. Great truck!

Favorite Features

Extensive safety features, V6 power, towing capacity, Toyota reliability and quality, TRD seats, composite bed, LED tail-lights.

Suggested Improvements

The TRD sport ride is still stiff. More high end options such as leather and heated seats.

One Year Later
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck one year now. Some marks have dropped a bit I am sure. The 4 cyl w/ the 4x4 and extended cab is adequate most of the time. The only time I notice it bogging out is on the highway going up a big hill. If you're going 70 mph prepare to drop to fourth to maintain 60 mph. Mixed feelings on the traction control; it, along with the abs seem to do more harm than good. Don't be afraid to turn it off (in the right circumstances that can be a lot of fun). Fuel economy is pretty good (~23 mpg. Lot of city driving). Excellent in the 50-60 mph range (keep the revs under 2k). My Buddy just bought a ranger, I'm shaking my head at the "deal" he got vs what he'll spend in gas. She's a tank.

Favorite Features

Adjustable tie downs, car-like handling, fuel economy, off-road fortitude, ladies like it, 9 cup holders, plastic bed, storage cubbyholes, stereo.

Suggested Improvements

2 speed wipers? traction control, bolts to bed & anchors for tailgate starting to rust, sure would like to see a nice little diesel like the Euros can get.

Good reliable truck
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Tacoma brand new. All in all this is a good vehicle, but parts are rather pricey ($225 for a tail light which got cracked accidentally). Four cylinder engine is alright in the power department, the five speed manual shifts easily, and the 4x4 performs excellent in the snow, I mean rock solid! I've had this truck 32k miles and did nothing to it mechanically, besides regular maintenance. Too bad I have to sell, need to get rid of the payments.

Favorite Features

The part-time 4 wheel drive. The stock radio/CD player is excellent sound quality! Fuel economy is about 20-22 mpg on the highway. 17 mixed driving.

Suggested Improvements

The interior design quality. Surfaces scratch and stain easily, even if you're careful. More plastic in and on this vehicle than I had hoped for. Interior room a little sparse, recommend extended cab.

A number of issues
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck in June '09. Radio turned on and off by itself. (Dealer replaced, took 6 months). First time I washed grill paint flaked off in chunks(Dealer replaced). When purchased dealer outsourced bed cover- problem? Toyota does not make locking tailgates parts-outsourced. Waited 5 months on a generic brand from Canada. Truck is very dependable-gas mileage could be better-13-18 tops. If I had to do over again, I will go back to my Ford F150.