2009 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Tacoma Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Sort Reviews by

'92 to '09 - 17 years of progress
By Lars

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Have a '92 4X4 Toyota Xtra with a V6; 16.5 mpg at best. Was looking at an '08 ($1,000 rebate), but the '09 has better standard features; 6 airbags, 4-wheel ABS, plus traction and stability control. That, with the new for '09 Timberland Green color, swung my vote. Granted, the '92 is a 4X4, but the '09 rides so much better. The interior is a huge improvement - as some '08 reviews said, it's very car-like - although outward visibility to the sides is better in the '92. I live up a steep hill; the 4-cylinder has plenty of power and, contrary to some, I like the gated shifter. 23 mpg in mixed driving; less than 500 on the odometer. Expect to get better than the 25 hwy EPA once it's broken in.

Favorite Features

Standard safety features. Interior appointments. Back-up camera (kind of "gimmicky" - but it works). Ride. Overall quality. Quiet engine - I couldn't hear it at first; had to look at the tach to make sure the engine was running. Very easy truck to drive. I'm enjoying the better mpg than my '92 gets.

Suggested Improvements

Add fog-lights as an option on the base Access-Cab; had to buy PIAA aftermarkets that would fit the openings. Better tires than the Bridgestones would help, and an alloy wheel option on the base would also be welcome - the stamped-steel wheels are awful. Improve the outward visibility to the sides.

Big step up from my 1999 taco
By Montana RRT

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Well, it has only been 3 days but this truck is awesome, way better than my 99 taco x-cab 4 banger 4x4. Fit and finish are excellent. Ride rivals that of my wifes grand Cherokee (car like). Only thing I am having trouble with is you cant hear the engine and it is a manual tranny. I have always just shifted on instinct and now I have to use a tach. I guess the trade off is the very quiet ride. All the standard safety features are nice (6 airbags, trac cont, 4 wheel abs all base model stuff now). I will get the monitor for the tailgate cam, will help with hooking up the trailer. This is my 8th Toyota vehicle, and it appears they have hit yet another grand slam.

Favorite Features

STAR safety, quiet smooth ride, quality build. Great MPG (averaging about 23, and not even broken in yet.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the TPMS (tire pressure monitor system) I know it is required by law but make it easy to disable, its the most useless thing I have ever seen on a vehicle (any vehicle not just Toyota). OR make TPMS sensors universal for all wheels, both alloys and steel, (they are not interchangeable!!!