Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great Little Truck!
By Dave

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only had my Taco for two weeks, but I love it! Interior is laid out logically, and is more comfortable and roomy than I expected. The engine is quiet and peppy even though the tranny has rather high gearing (75 mph at 2500 rpms). The 5sp manual shifts easily and smoothly. The ride is smooth and extremely quiet for a truck. Handling is average, but drives like a car on the highway. Radio and A/C work great. The standard tires and rims don't do much for the looks but ride great and are quiet.

Love the interior except for the low seats. The composite bed is great. A/C will freeze you. Quiet ride.

Seats are comfortable but need a height adjustment. Never have liked Toyota's "tilt wheel".

Could be a lot better
By tacova

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This could've been a great vehicle but the transmission ECM had to be reset and there is a torque rumble at 25mph. Made in Mexico. This issue has been occurring on many toyotas for a while.

Great power, stereo, AC, bed storage features, backup camera, safety features, MPG is ok, Vehicle skid control.

PIO floor mats are junk, active headrests are annoying, suspect transmission that had to be reset. Tires could be a lot better. Lumbar support is mediocre.

Best taco I've ever bought
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a car on the road most of the time. Drives like a sports car on the dirt roads. 4 seats - 9 cup holders. Very cold A/C. Surprisingly good on gas considering its size. Only real gripes are the always-on speedo lighting (fine until it's dark, then you become popular with the police 'cuz you thought the lights were on). And wipers. I live in the northeast - there is no intermittent setting on the wipers. My '99 base model corolla had that! If it's drizzling it's a pain to hit that every 5 seconds. You put a/c in the thing and power windows...and 9 cup holders. Couldn't you do that Toyota?

Nice ride. Rugged looking. Good on gas. Shifts well. Awesome off-road. Ice cold a/c. Lots of storage.

One extra notch on the wipers would make some 9's 10's. I don't know who was asleep at the wheel on that decision.

No regrets - exactly what I wanted
By Fla Dave

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the reg cab base with AC because I plan on owning this truck long after most power options would fail. Occasionally I wish I had gotten power windows, door locks, and the rear window, but I can live without that stuff. I love this truck. I got sideswiped across the front by a red light runner going 40, and you could hardly tell the truck had been hit. It's tough. But mostly I love the confidence of everyone from my mechanic to strangers telling me it was a good choice. I paid the TMV out the door (incl tax and BS) so I got it for a good price. Edmunds was the best helper I had in the process. I took it on a long road trip up north and it did well in the mountains.

City mileage 16 lead footing, 19 babying. HWY mileage was 29 on i95 and 24 in the mountains. I would have rather had vinyl seats and flooring, but the interior is very nice.

Stake holes in the truck bed walls would be nice. A vinyl seat and floor option would be nice for keeping it extra clean. An extra foot on the bed wouldn't hurt.

Excellent truck
By johnpend1

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

My previous truck was a "plain vanilla" 1993 4-cyl 2-WD Toyota pickup, so this was quite an upgrade. Power windows! AC! Reviews describing as a car on the inside, truck on the outside are accurate. Enough power so far, and the auto tranny seems OK. A great all-around vehicle for driving and light hauling.

Interior is great - well laid out, comfortable, and functional. Back-up cam is useful. Bed with a pre-installed liner and movable tiedowns will be useful. Ride seems quiet to me - only 500 miles so far.

Dashboard lights are always "on" as far as I can tell (but can be manually dimmed to "off"). As noted by others, the breaks are a little mushy, but work well once you're used to them.