Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2009 Tacoma extended cab
By A Lincoln

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great truck and fun, comfortable to drive. I've only had it a short time, but know I will enjoy the vehicle. I know some reviews say the ride is stiff, but it rides more like a car than a truck. I got the SR5 package and have no complaints, wish my old 89 Toyota Truck had the ride this one has.

Favorite Features

The big plus for this truck would be its quick get-up and go, it's only a four cylinder, but it goes. The bed liner and the adjustable hold downs are great. I do a lot of hauling, lumber and such and so far everything has been easy to tie down.

Suggested Improvements

The only thing I would suggest is get rid of the metal look on the center radio area it looks like something a kid would like but for me it takes away from the otherwise great look of the interior.

Very Pleased
By drosian

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was being lured to the 09 Tundra due to my towing needs I have a 5000lb travel trailer. The dealership recommended I get the Tundra but I am not a fan of the tundra in short it reminds of a sports car. I want a truck that is sporty and functional the Tacoma fits this desire. I have towed my trailer with the Tacoma and it has no problem power wise. I would say you can feel the weight behind you but the Tacoma has plenty of power to handle it. The only complaint I could offer is the daytime illumination of the radio and compass isn't adequate you can't see the display if it's sunny. Other than that I have had the tire light come on and upon checking tire pressure they are fine.

Favorite Features

Comfort, premium sound system

Suggested Improvements

instrument illumination

TRD Off-Road 6M
By TRD OffRoad 6M

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I waited nearly two months to have the truck built with the 6speed manual...well worth the wait! Good power, good room inside, good storage behind and under rear seats. Rides very smooth. 6 speed is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Beautiful truck, offroad package is worth the $$$.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I drive ~ 200 miles/wk, 100 of which are highway. Its still breaking in and I'm getting 18.5mpg. Hopefully ill get up to 20.

Don't know what happened
By gir

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck did me great for the first 5,000 miles. I had no problems with the 4x4. But for some reason, and the dealership can't figure it out, my tranny dumped on me. Don't know why. I didn't do anything that this truck couldn't handle but it broke.

Favorite Features

power, comfort, back up camera, safety features, stereo, and 4 wheel drive

Suggested Improvements

Transmission has no dip stick and no way to check the fluid.

Fantastic Truck
By towens

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Traded in my 99 GMC half ton on the "Cash for Clunkers" for a double cab TRD Off-Road and never looked back. I have wanted this truck for a very long time and I am not disappointed. Front & rear seats are big enough for 4 full size men and is comfortable on long hauls. Compared to the old GMC, the engine ad breaks are fantastic (don't see what others are talking about??). My only complaint is no XM radio?? The locking rear differential is a must have with the 4x2. Towed my 5,000 boat with no problem (need trailer brakes). Would recommend to anyone looking for a mid- size truck.

Favorite Features

Back-up camera, towing ability, engine, transmission, interior fit & finish, radio, off-roadabilty even with 4x2, locking differential and everything else. What's not to like...

Suggested Improvements

Add XM radio as standard feature.