Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 126 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Safey Problems
By befuddled

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I would simply suggest anyone buying one pay particular attention to the automatic transmission. It is computer driven and you notice the transmission not engaging when it should after turns and when you start again say at a light and have not come to a complete stop. This could easily leave you in a vulnerable spot when you least expect it. Check Edmunds.com and read the complaints. Buyer beware as Toyota and the dealer will leave you high and dry with the phrase normal characteristic.

It is a comfortable ride.

Fix the transmission problems Toyota. Shame on you for ignoring it for 5+ years.

Poorly Functioning Transmission
By Tacomashane

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck has had transmission issues since the day I bought it. Toyota refuses to admit it is a problem, even though it is well documented on the internet. Transmission continually slips when accelerating after a turn or even going over a speed bump. There is a clunking/jumping effect around 30mph when letting off gas then getting back on the gas. Also have had an annoying buzzing sound from under my glove compartment and a rattling window control panel. Body dents very easily. Very worried that transmission will fail before my 36k warranty.

Appearance, height, hood scoop.

Fix the transmission!

Transmission Trouble
By DeeQ101

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck only 6 months and the transmission slips. I thought the other day I was going to be T- Boned because the transmission slipped as I was leaving an intersection. I brought my concerns to the dealer and they took it for a drive. They found the transmission does indeed slip. They contacted the Toyota head office and I have not yet heard anything from them. Are they (Toyota) going to wait until someone is seriously injured or killed before they address this problem. I've been looking on different postings and I am not the only one with this problem, thousands of others too.

Drives great when the transmission is working.

"Toyota" Own up to your (Used to be) good reputation and FIX the Transmissions.

Toyota Never Again
By Nick

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I am very disappointed with the Tacoma. So far the engine sounds like a diesel engine, its burns oil when first started and the stereo has a mind of its own (on, off, on, off volume up and down by itself). Toyota factory rep. says everything is normal. It's safe to say that I will never acquire another Toyota again. Back to my Jeeps.

Back up camera.

2009 Tacoma extended cab
By A Lincoln

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Great truck and fun, comfortable to drive. I've only had it a short time, but know I will enjoy the vehicle. I know some reviews say the ride is stiff, but it rides more like a car than a truck. I got the SR5 package and have no complaints, wish my old 89 Toyota Truck had the ride this one has.

The big plus for this truck would be its quick get-up and go, it's only a four cylinder, but it goes. The bed liner and the adjustable hold downs are great. I do a lot of hauling, lumber and such and so far everything has been easy to tie down.

The only thing I would suggest is get rid of the metal look on the center radio area it looks like something a kid would like but for me it takes away from the otherwise great look of the interior.