2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Not cheap, but not crap
By Pascal on 09/04/08 19:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma X-Runner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have my new X-runner for 4 days yet, very good truck. I read a lot on the net before I made the move because a lot of reviewers says the truck is very bumpy. After a road test of a 2006 one, I found the truck very comfortable. Yes it is a little bumpy but not really more than any other trucks on the market. Road handling is incredible, the trucks really eats curves. Lots of torque below 2000 RPM from the engine so it makes it very fun to drive, you can literally declutch the truck in 1st gear normally without slip, without giving gas and the engine won't shake or stall. Subwoofer is a good idea but is very badly calibrated, too much bass in voices when listening to radio.

2.7 4x4 Access Cab 5sp
By Tom on 09/04/08 14:31 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I live in the mountains and have found that the 2.7 liter has more than enough power for effortless driving. I also have a 2006 Toyota FJ cruiser, 4 liter V6 auto, so it is interesting to compare the two vehicles. I have not found the 2.7 liter to be under powered, also the ride is more comfortable because of the longer wheel base. One of the reasons for getting the Tacoma was because of the good fuel economy that I experienced with the FJ Cruiser which replaced a Jeep Liberty.

Made the Right Decision
By DarkSide on 08/29/08 08:36 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The wife and I were going back and forth between the Tacoma and Nissan Frontier. We finally decided on the Tacoma after seeing the 2009 model standard feature upgrades. We purchased the Timberland Green, 4x4, Double Cab, Long bed with the SR5 package. The only one of its kind currently in the SF Bay Area. The truck is fun to drive and nice to look at. A major improvement over our last truck, 1998 Dodge Dakota.

New options at a comfort cost
By ron on 08/26/08 09:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Ok, I'm disappointed. It appears as though the comfort of the rear seats has been compromised because of the extra features that they had to come up with because of the competition. Am I the only one who has seen a change between 2008 to 2009?? Yes 2009 has newer features, finally side airbags! But, if you seat in the rear on the 2008 and then seat in the rear of a 2009 you will be shocked. I guess those new features need to be offset by compromising on the comfort? Anyone else seeing this?

New Taco
By Bill on 08/22/08 06:08 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The 09 is a great truck, lots of smooth power, good ride, bigger and more comfortable interior than my 97. Love the 4 doors (clamshell style). Happy with fuel economy overall, getting advertised numbers or a little better. Looked at 4cyl 5spd for better MPG but decided to go with V6 auto and no regrets. Stereo is OK for me, like the MP3 playback. Didn't get TRD, not worth the difference in price for me. Lots of new safety features on the 09 played a big part on my decision to go new. This is my 4th Toyota, 3rd truck and all have proven reliable so far. I loved my 97 taco but this truck is way better in many ways and I'm sure we will have a long, happy life

Converted Ford Driver
By Butter on 08/17/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had to trade in my '01 F-150 for better gas-mileage. So far, the Tacoma is impressing me. It's not as tough of a truck as I'm used to (No TRD pkg.), but the double-cab has great passenger room for a compact and the composite bed is big enough for the things I need. Got the bed-extender just in case it was too short. The 6-speed is MUCH easier to shift than the Ford. Only had it a week, but I haven't had to pull into a gas station yet!

Best Truck on the Market!
By Skittles on 08/12/08 00:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had numerous Toyota trucks and 4runners in my life. I have to say this truck is by far the best, hands down. The interior is very roomy and there are storage throughout. I purchased the top of the line model, TRD Offroad package, with the Bluetooth and reverse camera. AWESOME features that are new to 2009. Love the LED taillights which are essential for the reverse camera at night. I also love the new Magnetic Gray color, which puzzles me why this color was never available on Tacomas before. This truck has exceeded all my expectations and I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a mid-size truck. The only negative is the high price.

2009 Tacoma worth the wait
By Pat on 08/10/08 15:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Brand new truck, was supposed to get a 2008, but production ended early. Glad I waited for all the new features. Truck runs great, very tight, great power (much better than my V8 F-150) Truck is just the right size, fuel mileage much better.

Brand New Taco
By Bill on 08/04/08 04:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Just got a new V6 auto Access Cab 4x4. Lost my 97 to the frame issue. Tried a 4cyl 5spd and I liked it but didn't want the manual for daily driving. This is my 4th Toyota, 3 trucks and a Highlander, and all have served me well. I have the SR5 package with PW, PL, inter. wipers, cruise, etc. Not the top level TRD. First impressions are very positive. Like the ride, smoother than the 97 but still trucklike stiff. The power is great and transmission is very smooth. The cab is bigger and more comfortable and fit and finish are excellent. I find it fits me very well but limited adjustment of seat and steering wheel my create trouble for some. I will update my review once I have more drive time.

Tacoma continues to rule
By heymark on 07/29/08 16:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased the '09 Tacoma and Toyota continues to amaze me. From the expected superior fit and finish to the rock solid reliability mechanically. Well though out ergonomic placements of dash controls. This vehicle is my 4th Toyota overall and my second Tacoma. The first three have never given me any problems outside regular maintenance. There are only slight changes on the 09 from the 08 but the focus for this year is on safety with the STAR system. 4W ABS, electronic brakeforce system, stability control and traction control and of course the 6 air bags

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*