2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Built Like a Car, Rides Like a Truck
By Buyers Remorse on 01/01/09 19:31 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle is one incredible pile of junk. At less than 45 days following its build and less than 400 miles on the odometer here's the tally: underbody rust, rust and more rust; looks like the truck was built and then placed on the sea floor to cure; sloppy manufacturing permanently welded oxygen sensors into their threaded mounts; radio quit working; 4WD system engages only when it wants to -- not when you want it to; brakes soft as sponges; mystery rattle from right door pillar. This thing has a totally plastic (plastic!) box, I'm not talking a steel bed lined with plastic, but plastic!

Finally got my TACO!
By USMC on 12/30/08 14:33 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I been waiting 3 years to get this truck and it was worth the wait. I splurged and got the V-6 4dr dbl cab 4x4 TDR pack. I wanted to put the hype to the test and took it 4 wheeling and it did not disappoint. Rides like a car with exceptional power. Luv this truck.

2nd Tacoma
By Wildbill on 12/09/08 06:57 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Bought new one based on my son's experience with his 06. Bought TRD package. This is my first Toyota as I have been a very loyal Honda fan for years. This is just one great truck, well built, and fun to drive.

Can't go wrong
By tim on 11/23/08 09:47 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I owned 1989 Toyota pickup, 20 years later Toyota still out does it. Interior lights sharp color orange, all controls easy to see. Timberland ica new color for 2009, show stopping color, style is sharp to look at. Windshield nice and large to see road.

Best on the Road
By Danny on 11/10/08 08:54 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The best small truck with a big truck feel. Plenty of power for off road work towing welders etc. Not cheap, but great buy.

A pleasure
By feesey on 11/08/08 15:57 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This truck surpasses my 2 previous Toyota trucks in comfort and features, inside and out. Last Toyota was a '99 SR5 4x4. After 10 great years, lost to the '08 frame recall for which I was reimbursed . No other vehicle was better in its class. Looking at fuel prices and my new status as a senior, a modest baseline, 4x4 4 banger was my choice. I tested heavily before I bought, steep mountain grades on gravel to blacktop straightaways with 1/4 ton of clay aboard (quite a sight at the dealership!). Pleasantly surprised at power and agility. The 2.7-4 really performs, unexpectedly quiet, watch the tach. Front transmission is now on a switch - nice touch. Cab is roomy.

Toyota can do no wrong.
By Jeff on 11/06/08 11:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Wow. This is Tacoma number three. First, I'd like to say thank you Toyota! The one thing I said when the Tacoma came out in 2005 was I wanted Charcoal Gray! Well, that happened this year and I love it. I got a Magnetic Gray 4x4 V6 Double Cab SB TRD Off-Road. I love it! All the new features are so easy to use and work exceptionally well! I have my iPod hooked up to the JBL sound system, my phone linked to the bluetooth! In a truck!

Ain't Nothing Like A Truck
By Back to the Future on 10/29/08 18:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I finally decided on the buying another Toyota after owning number of other cars in between, including a Honda Pilot and Volvo XC70. Wanted the cargo carrying capacity of a truck, but not something monstrous in size. But it seems like all trucks have gone on steroids over the years; the '09 Tacoma is bigger than the '00 Tundra I owned. Didn't get a 4X4 to save on purchase and fuel costs. Usual good fit and finish from Toyota; feels solid. Although compared to the Honda Pilot, not as well engineered: small things like the center console storage compartment that opens from the driver side instead of from the front that would allow better access to front- passengers; not as clever on storage.

An Awesome Buy
By JP on 10/25/08 14:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I just bought the 4 door in the magnetic charcoal grey color. All I can say is it is an awesome looking truck, that rides excellent. Toyotas are very reliable cars, everyone in my family has one, so I do not worry about having bought an unreliable product.

my 5th
By PBucks on 10/22/08 20:44 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

This is my 5th Tacoma and like all the others like it a lot. My son took my '04 4 banger stick access cab to college. So I picked up this automatic version as a replacement. So far I really like this bigger body style. I normally get the easiest color to keep clean but this new Barcelona red called out my name when I first saw it. I get many compliments on the look of the truck. Must say though I miss the manual transmission. I've been checking the fuel mileage and it is 24 MPG. I was thinking about getting a full size Ford or Chevy this time for less money but I'm really glad I stayed with the Tacoma. I think they are the best and most useful mode of transportation for my needs.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in WA is:

$161 per month*