2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau on 08/29/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it. I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it. My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.

09 tacoma
By ron191 on 02/28/11 17:46 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Tacoma for almost 2 years. I will soon be ordering radio number 4 due to defects. The first two radios were plagued by volume control knobs that became unresponsive. My current radio went completely haywire with all the buttons doing the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash and headliner have become extremely annoying. Gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cyl. In the summer, I average about 20mpg, in the winter, I average about 18 mpg. My clutch also creaks loudly, more so in the summer. I do like some of the standard features with this truck (vsc, numerous airbags, etc.

Less than expected
By Pride and such... on 10/09/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Decent quality truck but I expected more from Toyota. We have all seen the mid 80's Toyota pickup still going strong with over 200k miles and I am maintaining the belief that this truck will do the same. Nice ride for a small truck. If you are over 5'10" tall the standard cab bench seat will be uncomfortable. Few trucks get 27- 29 highway mpg. Plenty of power for getting around town and up to speed on the highway. However, the truck is beyond sluggish with any significant payload. Radio changed stations automatically and the volume didn't work at times. Received replacement unit after 2 months of waiting and it does the same thing. Toyota has recall out for floor mats and pedal assembly.

Love my Tacoma
By Cleveland Ohio on 08/28/10 18:37 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new. This is my first pick up truck. It has lots of power for a 4 cyl and rides nice. I purchased it as a second vehicle so I didn't get all of the extras just AC and sliding rear window. It seems to get around 21-23 MPG mixed mostly city driving. A few months after driving it i did experience the feeling of riding over railroad tracks when decelerating. I heard it was due to the torque converter not disengaging but since the tranny shifted excellent, I didn't want the dealer to mess with it. It seems to have gone away on its own and I haven't noticed it all Summer. I like the fact that if I get my speed up to 38 mph, the od kicks in and will stay eng down to 30.

Good reliable truck
By Dan on 06/15/10 14:30 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Tacoma brand new. All in all this is a good vehicle, but parts are rather pricey ($225 for a tail light which got cracked accidentally). Four cylinder engine is alright in the power department, the five speed manual shifts easily, and the 4x4 performs excellent in the snow, I mean rock solid! I've had this truck 32k miles and did nothing to it mechanically, besides regular maintenance. Too bad I have to sell, need to get rid of the payments.

I'm trading it for a Chevy
By tonyjag on 03/10/10 10:39 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Wanted a 4x4 for winter driving and home improvement type errands. The good: the 4 cyl engine is strong, quiet and fuel efficient. The bad: at 60 miles an ignition cable connector on the steering column became loose, payed to get it towed to the dealer, 6 hour wait and didn't get reimbursed for the tow, seats are extremely uncomfortable, clutch pedal creaks, the carpeting is all frayed, first gear impossible to engage unless completely stopped, radio labels are wearing off, bed makes loud noises over every pothole, shift stick boot fell through. In short this is the worst car I've owned and it's not that I'm really picky either, I've been driving a Chrysler for 5 years!

5sp Tacoma Good Value
By Frank on 12/24/09 19:29 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2.7 liter with 5 speed, as I commute with my truck. No need for 4x4, only raises insurance. Get very good gas mileage all around. Run 89 octane. Acceleration not too bad, although if going too slow in second gear but too fast for first gear, engine bogs a bit before rpms rise. Performance improved with a K & N filter. The bench seat is comfortable, although the center seat is ridiculous. Should have been an armrest or storage bin in center, like my 86 Toyota pickup. The stereo is not high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination, so I plan on upgrading soon. Many complaints on the blogs about 09 stereos. Recommend deflector for hood. It helps stop pebbles hitting windshield.

A darn good buy
By Mike on 10/31/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Don't think you can beat this one for the money. Good, strong engine and real driver comfort. The only pickup in this price range which gives you a full size spare tire as standard equipment. Installed aftermarket rain shields so I can leave the window open in the rain - very necessary and worth the cost. Only complaints: seems like exterior paint was applied with a microscope - scratches very easily; also problems with the radio/CD player, which will have to be replaced. However, the audio quality is quite good - no complaint there. Good gas mileage on the highway - this little truck feels like a flying bird at highway speeds. Overall, very satisfactory.

No regrets - exactly what I wanted
By Fla Dave on 07/15/09 22:18 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought the reg cab base with AC because I plan on owning this truck long after most power options would fail. Occasionally I wish I had gotten power windows, door locks, and the rear window, but I can live without that stuff. I love this truck. I got sideswiped across the front by a red light runner going 40, and you could hardly tell the truck had been hit. It's tough. But mostly I love the confidence of everyone from my mechanic to strangers telling me it was a good choice. I paid the TMV out the door (incl tax and BS) so I got it for a good price. Edmunds was the best helper I had in the process. I took it on a long road trip up north and it did well in the mountains.

My Kids Like It
By ToyTaco on 07/15/09 09:59 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

(+) Passenger airbag auto off -Head room -Cabin storage -Big side mirrors -Bright headlamps -Radio controls (-) Engine noise...chain drive -TPMS

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular-cab in VA is:

$128 per month*