Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it. I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it. My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.

Great engine, decent gas mileage. Nice size and good looking. Very reliable.

They could not have built this truck any cheaper. How much would it have cost Toyota to equip this base Tacoma with intermittent wipers? Rear leaf springs squeak like a used up old beater. A known issue but Toyota is still shipping Tacomas with this problem. The buyer is forced to bring their truck back to the dealer for a fix under a TSB. Unacceptable drive line rattle and slop. The gear ratios for the manual transmission are ridiculous.

09 tacoma
By ron191

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Tacoma for almost 2 years. I will soon be ordering radio number 4 due to defects. The first two radios were plagued by volume control knobs that became unresponsive. My current radio went completely haywire with all the buttons doing the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash and headliner have become extremely annoying. Gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cyl. In the summer, I average about 20mpg, in the winter, I average about 18 mpg. My clutch also creaks loudly, more so in the summer. I do like some of the standard features with this truck (vsc, numerous airbags, etc.

I am disappointed in the quality. I purchased a Toyota for their perceived quality but they have cheapened everything up just like everyone else has for the almighty dollar.

Less than expected
By Pride and such...

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Decent quality truck but I expected more from Toyota. We have all seen the mid 80's Toyota pickup still going strong with over 200k miles and I am maintaining the belief that this truck will do the same. Nice ride for a small truck. If you are over 5'10" tall the standard cab bench seat will be uncomfortable. Few trucks get 27- 29 highway mpg. Plenty of power for getting around town and up to speed on the highway. However, the truck is beyond sluggish with any significant payload. Radio changed stations automatically and the volume didn't work at times. Received replacement unit after 2 months of waiting and it does the same thing. Toyota has recall out for floor mats and pedal assembly.

Gas mileage is easy on the wallet, quality bed liner, easy of use on interior controls, bold styling, 5000 miles between oil changes, cleat and tie system (although one did break), 3 stage paint.

Lumbar support for driver and bucket seats would be nice, a 2.7L I4 that takes six quarts of oil is a shortcut, replace stereo with functioning unit instead of wasting time and money with defective replacements, 3 recalls in 15,000 miles in disappointing.

Love my Tacoma
By Cleveland Ohio

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck new. This is my first pick up truck. It has lots of power for a 4 cyl and rides nice. I purchased it as a second vehicle so I didn't get all of the extras just AC and sliding rear window. It seems to get around 21-23 MPG mixed mostly city driving. A few months after driving it i did experience the feeling of riding over railroad tracks when decelerating. I heard it was due to the torque converter not disengaging but since the tranny shifted excellent, I didn't want the dealer to mess with it. It seems to have gone away on its own and I haven't noticed it all Summer. I like the fact that if I get my speed up to 38 mph, the od kicks in and will stay eng down to 30.

Powerful 4cyl engine, nice riding, ice cold AC but don't really need it much with sliding rear window. Great MPG for a pickup truck.

get rid of the bench seats and offer bucket seats(I see that they have done this with the 2011 4x4 AT reg cab). Needs a locking tailgate. Also needs to add a wide view mirror to the drivers side outside mirror, major blind spot on base cab due to the pillar by the rear of the seat.

Good reliable truck
By Dan

2009 Toyota Tacoma Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought the Tacoma brand new. All in all this is a good vehicle, but parts are rather pricey ($225 for a tail light which got cracked accidentally). Four cylinder engine is alright in the power department, the five speed manual shifts easily, and the 4x4 performs excellent in the snow, I mean rock solid! I've had this truck 32k miles and did nothing to it mechanically, besides regular maintenance. Too bad I have to sell, need to get rid of the payments.

The part-time 4 wheel drive. The stock radio/CD player is excellent sound quality! Fuel economy is about 20-22 mpg on the highway. 17 mixed driving.

The interior design quality. Surfaces scratch and stain easily, even if you're careful. More plastic in and on this vehicle than I had hoped for. Interior room a little sparse, recommend extended cab.