Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

It's a truck
By jimc47

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with seat height, feels like my legs are jacked up. Hard to get in because of steps. If I kept this truck I would take the steps off. Paint seems to be too soft. Has a diesel sound at times when accelerating, I think mid grade or premium fixes that. No vehicle is perfect, so these are my complaints, I am now in the process of trading it off at 23,000 miles. Resale is not as good as expected either.

Favorite Features

Best looking exterior. Dependable.

First Toyota
By 1st time buyer

I did some research and have to say I got what I paid for. Bought mine on August and so far no problems. Love the stability and the mileage so far. Handles well and I feel in control and secure. Had a Nissan before that lasted 10 years and I hope to keep this car for at least the same amount of time. I do however have had issues with the paint job, bird droppings have caused the paint to kind of melt. My Nissan had 10 years and never showed that kind of wear for the bird droppings. Also the front and rear seats could have more space and placed higher. Overall I give it a 88 on a 100 scale.

Favorite Features

Back-up cam, mileage, storage space.

Suggested Improvements

Improve paint job. Also they should include a feature that would allowed the storage bins in the cab to be locked. More room for the driver and passenger.

Just OK
By Just OK

Because of the financial issues of the big three and the historical reliability success of the Toyotas, I decided to purchase the 2009 TRD Taco. Although the truck seems to perform fairly well, the transmission issues are really annoying. What's even more annoying is that Toyota claims that this is not a problem and is that it is performing as designed. Although the truck has some great features, it also has some flaws. I am now concerned with the overall reliability and wish I would have purchased a Ford. Having said that, I am pleased that it can tow a trailer with four motorcycles and carry four adults rather effortlessly in the mountains of Colorado.

Favorite Features

Good looks, towing capability for a small truck, decent off road performance and good overall utility vehicle with enough room for my small family. The 120 V receptacle in the bed is very useful.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission problems. No cargo light or intermittent wipers. annoying horn when locking and unlocking. Cheap carpet. Relentless seat belt reminder. Cruise control is plus or minus 3 MPH. Needs a "real" locking differential in the rear.

TRD w/ Bilsteins
By Norm Silver

I was aware of the transmission complaints so the first thing I did was go to an aftermarket tranny shop and had them service the automatic and put in Royal Purple full synthetic fluid and also check it out on their computer. Then I installed a cold air intake and took it to the tire shop where they let the air out of the tires and pumped in Nitrogen. This one has the 16 inch tire option and I can see there is already some inside tire wear. I'll be rotating tires every 5,000 miles to assure good tire wear. The acceleration is good, fuel economy is 22-24 hwy and 18-20 in town. Would I do this again? Yes. It is a decent truck and I like the size and appearance. I plan to replace the radio soon.

Favorite Features

Instrument cluster is easy to read. Good power and acceleration. Good visibility for me. I did get all of the amenities too.

Suggested Improvements

Look into whatever it is that causes the automatic transmission to be so sloppy and have varying shift points. Try to correct the reason for the inside wear on the 265-70-16 tires.

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

Favorite Features

The looks and the stereo.

Suggested Improvements

Do something about the transmission. These transmissions should be re-called and swapped out for a transmission that works right.