2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
It's a truck
By jimc47 on 09/20/11 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with seat height, feels like my legs are jacked up. Hard to get in because of steps. If I kept this truck I would take the steps off. Paint seems to be too soft. Has a diesel sound at times when accelerating, I think mid grade or premium fixes that. No vehicle is perfect, so these are my complaints, I am now in the process of trading it off at 23,000 miles. Resale is not as good as expected either.

First Toyota
By 1st time buyer on 04/12/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

I did some research and have to say I got what I paid for. Bought mine on August and so far no problems. Love the stability and the mileage so far. Handles well and I feel in control and secure. Had a Nissan before that lasted 10 years and I hope to keep this car for at least the same amount of time. I do however have had issues with the paint job, bird droppings have caused the paint to kind of melt. My Nissan had 10 years and never showed that kind of wear for the bird droppings. Also the front and rear seats could have more space and placed higher. Overall I give it a 88 on a 100 scale.

Just OK
By Just OK on 03/10/10 12:43 PM (PST)

Because of the financial issues of the big three and the historical reliability success of the Toyotas, I decided to purchase the 2009 TRD Taco. Although the truck seems to perform fairly well, the transmission issues are really annoying. What's even more annoying is that Toyota claims that this is not a problem and is that it is performing as designed. Although the truck has some great features, it also has some flaws. I am now concerned with the overall reliability and wish I would have purchased a Ford. Having said that, I am pleased that it can tow a trailer with four motorcycles and carry four adults rather effortlessly in the mountains of Colorado.

TRD w/ Bilsteins
By Norm Silver on 01/29/10 23:55 PM (PST)

I was aware of the transmission complaints so the first thing I did was go to an aftermarket tranny shop and had them service the automatic and put in Royal Purple full synthetic fluid and also check it out on their computer. Then I installed a cold air intake and took it to the tire shop where they let the air out of the tires and pumped in Nitrogen. This one has the 16 inch tire option and I can see there is already some inside tire wear. I'll be rotating tires every 5,000 miles to assure good tire wear. The acceleration is good, fuel economy is 22-24 hwy and 18-20 in town. Would I do this again? Yes. It is a decent truck and I like the size and appearance. I plan to replace the radio soon.

TERRIBLE TRANSMISSION
By David Legat on 12/21/09 12:58 PM (PST)

I am very unhappy with my Toyota Tacoma truck. I purchased the TRD Sport thinking if I paid for the most I would receive the most. Come to find out after driving it for a few hundred miles the transmission stinks. It seems like it has no idea when to shift into the right gear. When turning left or right under 10 mph it feels like it is out of gear so it revs up then drops into 1st gear "very scary". It also lugs when under 30 mph. I have had it back to the Toyota dealer a couple of times asking what the problem is and can it be fixed? The last time in the District Service Rep & Service Mgr. test drove it. And they determined the vehicle is "operating normal and as designed". "Do Not Buy One"

Overall... decent!
By Toe Knee on 10/05/09 08:54 AM (PDT)

This truck is amazing. I got the TRD Off Road package and it rides like a champ. With the upgraded Bilstein shocks and better tires than SR5 model, the truck rides amazingly. Although I've only owned the truck for a very short time, I'm sure I'll be owning this very truck for many, many years to come.

Poorly Functioning Transmission
By Tacomashane on 09/30/09 13:03 PM (PDT)

This truck has had transmission issues since the day I bought it. Toyota refuses to admit it is a problem, even though it is well documented on the internet. Transmission continually slips when accelerating after a turn or even going over a speed bump. There is a clunking/jumping effect around 30mph when letting off gas then getting back on the gas. Also have had an annoying buzzing sound from under my glove compartment and a rattling window control panel. Body dents very easily. Very worried that transmission will fail before my 36k warranty.

Fantastic Truck
By towens on 08/05/09 15:29 PM (PDT)

Traded in my 99 GMC half ton on the "Cash for Clunkers" for a double cab TRD Off-Road and never looked back. I have wanted this truck for a very long time and I am not disappointed. Front & rear seats are big enough for 4 full size men and is comfortable on long hauls. Compared to the old GMC, the engine ad breaks are fantastic (don't see what others are talking about??). My only complaint is no XM radio?? The locking rear differential is a must have with the 4x2. Towed my 5,000 boat with no problem (need trailer brakes). Would recommend to anyone looking for a mid- size truck.

Could be a lot better
By tacova on 07/29/09 08:42 AM (PDT)

This could've been a great vehicle but the transmission ECM had to be reset and there is a torque rumble at 25mph. Made in Mexico. This issue has been occurring on many toyotas for a while.

Could be better
By Jeff on 06/24/09 13:34 PM (PDT)

TRD Sport SB: No adjustment for seat height or thigh angle. Makes it hard for 6'2" to get comfortable on long trips and get out from under the steering wheel. Tailgate still weak. Rear leaf springs are light. Backup camera is an overpriced gimmick. Seat fabric feels cheap compared to the Tundra. Mileage should be better. Cheap center dash and radio. Who cares about CD's now a days? No trip computer for real time mileage. Colors and digital displays are hard to read in sunlight. Doors seem flimsy or uninsulated. I expected this to be my 2005 4Runner with a bed, but it definitely seems "cheaper" all around. Costs an arm+leg once all the packages are included. Spongy brakes.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double-cab in VA is:

$123 per month*