Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

Favorite features include comfort, and quietness. It's also easy to work on. I have performed most maintenance on my own.

Better back up camera like the newer ones. The little "in the rearview mirror" camera is too small and takes away from your mirror view.

General problems
By pgrazioso

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our truck is three years old. There is a squeeking noise in the shocks. We had the radio replaced. Also the lights on the dashboard for the the controls. The accelerator pedal was recalled. Gas mileage is less than we expected. Now we have rust on the frame. All-in-all we expected better from Toyota.

Frame rust
By pgrazioso

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this 2009 for three years. There is lots of rust on both sides of the frame. There is also rust under the hood where the cross-bar supports the radiator. We are wondering if this is common and what people have done to solve the problem.

We like the rear camera - it's very helpful in seeing what is behind you.

Adustable seat on the driver's side. Side mirrors are too big. Also, they could improve viaibility of the "dead spots" when looking in the side mirrors.

It's a truck
By jimc47

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with seat height, feels like my legs are jacked up. Hard to get in because of steps. If I kept this truck I would take the steps off. Paint seems to be too soft. Has a diesel sound at times when accelerating, I think mid grade or premium fixes that. No vehicle is perfect, so these are my complaints, I am now in the process of trading it off at 23,000 miles. Resale is not as good as expected either.

Best looking exterior. Dependable.

Very happy consumer
By ne_yota

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience has been excellent. Zero issues to date (31,000 miles now). I collected every gas receipt since the purchase (6 miles rolling out of dealership), and averaged 20 mpg with a high of 22. Power has been very good. The Sport model suspension is perfect for high-way driving at speed. I have not experienced the issues that others provided here. The AC is almost too cold, no electrical issues, handles very good in the snow, accelerates very well onto the highway, and no body fit issues. The goal is 400,000 miles, and I don't feel that it is unrealistic.

Steering radius is on par, or better than my Golf TDI. The truck has saved me twice on blackice with the traction control. The 2nd time going 60mph. TOTALLY WORTH IT! I now consider it auto AND life insurance. I can't understand those who say it doesn't have good acceleration. Warms up fast in the winter. Rear view camera was considered a novelty at first, but now I miss it when driving other cars.

Heated rear view mirrors for winter time. Brakes are a bit dead feeling. The interior design is kind of weak, especially at the radio area. Obviously splitting hairs here. The rear window is sort of small. The two rubber strips on the roof have come off twice. Glad I didn't opt for the roof rails. I wouldn't have any confidence in them staying put.