2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck on 02/09/14 17:08 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

General problems
By pgrazioso on 01/01/12 14:21 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our truck is three years old. There is a squeeking noise in the shocks. We had the radio replaced. Also the lights on the dashboard for the the controls. The accelerator pedal was recalled. Gas mileage is less than we expected. Now we have rust on the frame. All-in-all we expected better from Toyota.

Frame rust
By pgrazioso on 01/01/12 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this 2009 for three years. There is lots of rust on both sides of the frame. There is also rust under the hood where the cross-bar supports the radiator. We are wondering if this is common and what people have done to solve the problem.

It's a truck
By jimc47 on 09/20/11 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with seat height, feels like my legs are jacked up. Hard to get in because of steps. If I kept this truck I would take the steps off. Paint seems to be too soft. Has a diesel sound at times when accelerating, I think mid grade or premium fixes that. No vehicle is perfect, so these are my complaints, I am now in the process of trading it off at 23,000 miles. Resale is not as good as expected either.

Very happy consumer
By ne_yota on 01/30/11 09:18 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

My experience has been excellent. Zero issues to date (31,000 miles now). I collected every gas receipt since the purchase (6 miles rolling out of dealership), and averaged 20 mpg with a high of 22. Power has been very good. The Sport model suspension is perfect for high-way driving at speed. I have not experienced the issues that others provided here. The AC is almost too cold, no electrical issues, handles very good in the snow, accelerates very well onto the highway, and no body fit issues. The goal is 400,000 miles, and I don't feel that it is unrealistic.

Acceleration
By Dennis on 10/04/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have enjoyed the truck very much from the sound system to the way it handles in snow. I recently have been having a problem that Toyota tells me I have to live with. If I come to a complete stop and than try to accelerate quickly to get into traffic my engine does not respond, almost like it chokes it self out. Toyota is telling me the computer has gotten used to the way I normally drive and will not let me accelerate quicker than normal.

Great Truck Look / Actually Compact Car
By JD Martin on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

Downsized from Ram 1500. Big mistake. Could never get comfortable, was like sitting on 2x6 six inches off the ground. No interior storage space for tools, etc. as rear seat only folds down rather than seat portion folding up so very limited what can be carried in cab. Limited sight lines & blind spots even w/ rear seat head rest removed. Don't believe resell value propaganda - was hard to sell even at sharp discount w/ 6K miles. Hard to get in & out while working on farm. More car than truck.

A number of issues
By Dan on 05/31/10 06:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I purchased my truck in June '09. Radio turned on and off by itself. (Dealer replaced, took 6 months). First time I washed grill paint flaked off in chunks(Dealer replaced). When purchased dealer outsourced bed cover- problem? Toyota does not make locking tailgates parts-outsourced. Waited 5 months on a generic brand from Canada. Truck is very dependable-gas mileage could be better-13-18 tops. If I had to do over again, I will go back to my Ford F150.

2009 sr5 double cab 4x4, my mistake
By joe on 05/16/10 20:11 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Not happy with build quality, ventilation system did not work and Windows fogged very badly but was repaired under warranty. Air conditioner is very weak on hot days, after 4 trips to dealer it is better but still not what I expected from Toyota. The radio turns itself off and on during hot weather, still not replaced by dealer. Paint job is not consistent and has foreign material in it. Lots of wind noise. Rear springs bottom out easily with very light loads. Composite bed tie downs should be in front of bed not rear. I can not believe I have to go to dealer to check the auto trans. Fluid level. Beware Toyota quality is no longer what it once was. I think I will soon be driving a f150

First Toyota
By 1st time buyer on 04/12/10 09:20 AM (PDT)

I did some research and have to say I got what I paid for. Bought mine on August and so far no problems. Love the stability and the mileage so far. Handles well and I feel in control and secure. Had a Nissan before that lasted 10 years and I hope to keep this car for at least the same amount of time. I do however have had issues with the paint job, bird droppings have caused the paint to kind of melt. My Nissan had 10 years and never showed that kind of wear for the bird droppings. Also the front and rear seats could have more space and placed higher. Overall I give it a 88 on a 100 scale.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Double-cab in VA is:

$123 per month*