Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4cyl, Manual 5spd
By n2wood

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Dec 2009. Good looking truck. I have pampered truck for 48 months. Have same problems with radio as other owners - turns itself off and on in extreme cold or hot temps. Toyota appears to have resolved that problem after 2009. Just turned over 35,000 miles on odometer and clutch has started to slip. It is not operator error. I had a 1990 Toyota 6cyl, manual 5spd truck for 16 years and never had to replace anything, but starter and timing belt. Based on my google search, the problem is the clutch made in Mexico. A replacement AISIN clutch, made in Japan, appears to be reliable. Normal mpg has been 20-23 with non-alcohol gas.

Favorite Features

Appearance, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch and radio are definitely problems with 2009 model.

Barely a truck
By jequines

Have put 50,000kms on now with not too much trouble. Stereo went dead within 2 months of buying it, dealership replaced. This truck is terribly underpowered, drove it through the mountains and I was down to 60kph in 3rd gear full throttle. Frame seems weak if I drive down a gravel road I can see the box shaking and twisting independant of the cab quite violently. Box wont hold much wieght, at 600lbs rear suspension is almost fully compressed. Truck gets awesome gas mileage and the styling is great.

Favorite Features

Interior feels decent and comfortable, gas mileage is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

New frame, new engine and stronger rear suspension, or stop selling this as a truck as it is not even close to capable of doing what toyota claims....like drive up hills or carry a small load.