Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Base Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

wish i still had my old 99 taco
By david

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

traded my 99 for this thru the frame recall/buyback and have been very displeased. first didn't get delay wipers with basic package. had radio replaced before 10k kept going off/changing stations. clutch started slipping at 20k miles repaired under warranty. on hot days clutch pedal creaks. leaf springs started making creaking at 10k had new silencer pads installed under warranty. the traction buzzer is VERY annoying if you slide sideways. ice builds up around front output of t-case on wet slushy snowy roads makes bumping under floorboards.

do like the cd player good under seat storage

do real world testing before you sell a new model/feature. more quality control checks before sending out of factory

Great Little Truck!
By Dave

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Only had my Taco for two weeks, but I love it! Interior is laid out logically, and is more comfortable and roomy than I expected. The engine is quiet and peppy even though the tranny has rather high gearing (75 mph at 2500 rpms). The 5sp manual shifts easily and smoothly. The ride is smooth and extremely quiet for a truck. Handling is average, but drives like a car on the highway. Radio and A/C work great. The standard tires and rims don't do much for the looks but ride great and are quiet.

Love the interior except for the low seats. The composite bed is great. A/C will freeze you. Quiet ride.

Seats are comfortable but need a height adjustment. Never have liked Toyota's "tilt wheel".

Best taco I've ever bought
By slyonEI

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Drives like a car on the road most of the time. Drives like a sports car on the dirt roads. 4 seats - 9 cup holders. Very cold A/C. Surprisingly good on gas considering its size. Only real gripes are the always-on speedo lighting (fine until it's dark, then you become popular with the police 'cuz you thought the lights were on). And wipers. I live in the northeast - there is no intermittent setting on the wipers. My '99 base model corolla had that! If it's drizzling it's a pain to hit that every 5 seconds. You put a/c in the thing and power windows...and 9 cup holders. Couldn't you do that Toyota?

Nice ride. Rugged looking. Good on gas. Shifts well. Awesome off-road. Ice cold a/c. Lots of storage.

One extra notch on the wipers would make some 9's 10's. I don't know who was asleep at the wheel on that decision.

I'm happy with my Tacoma
By Dave

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this truck for about 4 months and I'm very satisfied with my purchase. I was a little concerned that the engine might be a bit wimpy but I find it can hold its own in traffic with no problems. Everything seems to be working well. No unexpected wind noise or squeaks, and my radio works great.

Overall handling, composite truck bed, good gas mileage (although I don't understand why it couldn't be better for its size).

Brakes are too soft, the minimum turning radius should be smaller and the std tires are not too impressive.

My 3rd Tacoma
By Jerry B

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I just purchased the SR5 Access cab in the new Timberland Mica (dark green) and really enjoy the smooth ride this truck offers. I have a 4 cyl. 1998 and had a 2004 PreRunner, but I like this truck better than the 6 Cyl. PreRunner; easier to get in and out. I wish the fog lights were standard egpt., but I had the dealer add them, along with the XM radio. The 4 cyl. has plenty of power and it rides like my wife's Highlander Limited. This is one nice little truck; thanks again, Toyota.

The body style and the new Timberland Mica color. Great interior design and comfortable seating.

Why only rear mud guards? I think front mud guards should be standard, as well as fog lights. I'd rather pay Toyota for these parts than pay an aftermarket company to finish the job.