Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Toyota quality?
By seanski1

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

1. On fourth radio! Replaced under warranty, all. Radio would turn on, on it's own, turn off on it's own, wouldn't turn on at all and would not shut off when needed. Toyota radio's can have issues. Talking with lady today who I shared shuttle bus home from Toyota (more on that down page) and she too experienced problematic stereo system in her Toyota. 2. Steering linkage boot torn underside of truck which apparently needed whole steering assembly be replaced not just boot cover. This also under warranty. 3.Reason for this report? Truck is an '09, with 57,000km on it and is now in shop for a new starter! No warranty left, $500 bill coming up!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, well finished with nice appointments inside. Full assortment of airbags, traction control etc. This truck rides like a car, very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure I just got one of those vehicles that has issues. I'm not out to brand the brand with negativity. 3 years, or 60,000km warranty with respect to issues with starter replacement isn't acceptable in my opinion. I think it needs review and a correction.

2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4cyl, Manual 5spd
By n2wood

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Dec 2009. Good looking truck. I have pampered truck for 48 months. Have same problems with radio as other owners - turns itself off and on in extreme cold or hot temps. Toyota appears to have resolved that problem after 2009. Just turned over 35,000 miles on odometer and clutch has started to slip. It is not operator error. I had a 1990 Toyota 6cyl, manual 5spd truck for 16 years and never had to replace anything, but starter and timing belt. Based on my google search, the problem is the clutch made in Mexico. A replacement AISIN clutch, made in Japan, appears to be reliable. Normal mpg has been 20-23 with non-alcohol gas.

Favorite Features

Appearance, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch and radio are definitely problems with 2009 model.

Not very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw8

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a more positive review earlier by GW7. Now the 3rd radio in my Tacoma is malfunctioning. It will be replaced again under warranty but I now have to question some of Toyota's quality, they just seem to want to keep replacing defective radios until the warranty expires. I have been loyal to Toyota because of reliability, but my patience is wearing thin on this issue.

Barely a truck
By jequines

Have put 50,000kms on now with not too much trouble. Stereo went dead within 2 months of buying it, dealership replaced. This truck is terribly underpowered, drove it through the mountains and I was down to 60kph in 3rd gear full throttle. Frame seems weak if I drive down a gravel road I can see the box shaking and twisting independant of the cab quite violently. Box wont hold much wieght, at 600lbs rear suspension is almost fully compressed. Truck gets awesome gas mileage and the styling is great.

Favorite Features

Interior feels decent and comfortable, gas mileage is excellent.

Suggested Improvements

New frame, new engine and stronger rear suspension, or stop selling this as a truck as it is not even close to capable of doing what toyota claims....like drive up hills or carry a small load.

Inferior
By GARY

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bad gas mileage and lacks power. Runs a little better when the air is off. This is my first and last Toyota truck. I traded a 95 Suzuki sidekick with 150,000 miles and was a better made vehicle than this thing. My truck has 10,400 miles and already has signs of rust on wheels and frame. Dealer and Toyota agree it is from road abrasion and won't cover problem. I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 50,000 miles and has no signs of rust. A blind man could see that the wheels has very little of the paint on them. The price of the truck should have more accessories. The truck is hard to shift and sometimes impossible to get into reverse. The radio when first purchased had a mind of it's own. Warranty stinks

Favorite Features

Body style

Suggested Improvements

Quit being so cheap and guarantee what you sell or sell in your own country. American's want quality not junk.