2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Toyota quality?
By seanski1 on 08/08/13 15:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

1. On fourth radio! Replaced under warranty, all. Radio would turn on, on it's own, turn off on it's own, wouldn't turn on at all and would not shut off when needed. Toyota radio's can have issues. Talking with lady today who I shared shuttle bus home from Toyota (more on that down page) and she too experienced problematic stereo system in her Toyota. 2. Steering linkage boot torn underside of truck which apparently needed whole steering assembly be replaced not just boot cover. This also under warranty. 3.Reason for this report? Truck is an '09, with 57,000km on it and is now in shop for a new starter! No warranty left, $500 bill coming up!

2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4cyl, Manual 5spd
By n2wood on 01/09/13 08:16 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Dec 2009. Good looking truck. I have pampered truck for 48 months. Have same problems with radio as other owners - turns itself off and on in extreme cold or hot temps. Toyota appears to have resolved that problem after 2009. Just turned over 35,000 miles on odometer and clutch has started to slip. It is not operator error. I had a 1990 Toyota 6cyl, manual 5spd truck for 16 years and never had to replace anything, but starter and timing belt. Based on my google search, the problem is the clutch made in Mexico. A replacement AISIN clutch, made in Japan, appears to be reliable. Normal mpg has been 20-23 with non-alcohol gas.

Not very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw8 on 04/25/11 16:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a more positive review earlier by GW7. Now the 3rd radio in my Tacoma is malfunctioning. It will be replaced again under warranty but I now have to question some of Toyota's quality, they just seem to want to keep replacing defective radios until the warranty expires. I have been loyal to Toyota because of reliability, but my patience is wearing thin on this issue.

Barely a truck
By jequines on 02/04/11 10:53 AM (PST)

Have put 50,000kms on now with not too much trouble. Stereo went dead within 2 months of buying it, dealership replaced. This truck is terribly underpowered, drove it through the mountains and I was down to 60kph in 3rd gear full throttle. Frame seems weak if I drive down a gravel road I can see the box shaking and twisting independant of the cab quite violently. Box wont hold much wieght, at 600lbs rear suspension is almost fully compressed. Truck gets awesome gas mileage and the styling is great.

Inferior
By GARY on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bad gas mileage and lacks power. Runs a little better when the air is off. This is my first and last Toyota truck. I traded a 95 Suzuki sidekick with 150,000 miles and was a better made vehicle than this thing. My truck has 10,400 miles and already has signs of rust on wheels and frame. Dealer and Toyota agree it is from road abrasion and won't cover problem. I have a 2002 Ford Taurus with 50,000 miles and has no signs of rust. A blind man could see that the wheels has very little of the paint on them. The price of the truck should have more accessories. The truck is hard to shift and sometimes impossible to get into reverse. The radio when first purchased had a mind of it's own. Warranty stinks

Very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw7 on 08/01/10 07:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Very happy with my 3rd 4WD SR5 Access cab. Previously I owned a 1988 and 1999 both were 4-cyls-std. My latest is a 6-auto with TRD Sport Package. Like others my 3rd radio solved the problem, but otherwise this truck is great. I use it as a daily driver but often trailer full sized cars, which it handles easily. I test drove several different Tacos, and a Frontier before picking the TRD Sport. I found the Off-Road too stiff, and the regular SR5 seats lacking. I have no issues with the seating position some reviews mention. The engine is noisy at idle with the hood open, but I don't consider the engine noisy at high speed on the highway. Great truck!

One Year Later
By slyonEI on 06/30/10 20:29 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I've had my truck one year now. Some marks have dropped a bit I am sure. The 4 cyl w/ the 4x4 and extended cab is adequate most of the time. The only time I notice it bogging out is on the highway going up a big hill. If you're going 70 mph prepare to drop to fourth to maintain 60 mph. Mixed feelings on the traction control; it, along with the abs seem to do more harm than good. Don't be afraid to turn it off (in the right circumstances that can be a lot of fun). Fuel economy is pretty good (~23 mpg. Lot of city driving). Excellent in the 50-60 mph range (keep the revs under 2k). My Buddy just bought a ranger, I'm shaking my head at the "deal" he got vs what he'll spend in gas. She's a tank.

wish i still had my old 99 taco
By david on 02/09/10 14:09 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

traded my 99 for this thru the frame recall/buyback and have been very displeased. first didn't get delay wipers with basic package. had radio replaced before 10k kept going off/changing stations. clutch started slipping at 20k miles repaired under warranty. on hot days clutch pedal creaks. leaf springs started making creaking at 10k had new silencer pads installed under warranty. the traction buzzer is VERY annoying if you slide sideways. ice builds up around front output of t-case on wet slushy snowy roads makes bumping under floorboards.

Cheap truck
By DM on 01/27/10 08:03 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Cheap truck. Plastic bed, unboxed frame rails and suspension components cheap compared to domestics. Lots of cheap interior plastic, and seems like it overall is just built inferior. Should have bought the Dakota or a 1/2 ton domestic. Throttle recalls, Rusty frame recalls. etc. Toyata has lost all quality control.

Nice Truck - Xmission could be better
By Ed on 01/13/10 12:16 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought the truck in June 09. I have had it for about 7 months now. I like the look of the Tacoma. ALL of the switches should be illuminated (ex 4x4), and there should be a foglight "on" indicator. My biggest complaint, like others, is the transmission. The transmission seems to down shift too quickly. After slowing down to turn a corner, it "hunts" to find the right gear. This should be addressed by Toyota.

1 2 3 4 5 next »