2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck on 02/09/14 17:08 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

This truck saved my life
By jamie75 on 11/08/09 11:10 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off I loved this truck for the 6 weeks I had it. Gas mileage was about 20 mixed city/hwy. The seats made my low back feel better than my couch at home. Last week a guy ran a light and I t-boned him at full speed. The truck is a total loss but other than neck and back pain I walked away. I highly recommend this truck and as soon as the insurance works it out I'll buy another one.

Almost perfect, but the tranny!
By Mike on 10/02/09 04:42 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Only had the Taco for about 2 days when I noticed the transmission responds poorly. Usually when making a left or right turn, as you slow the motor revs. If you're still rolling (less than 10mph) then accelerate, even gently, the engine revs up to 2K before clunking into second. So I've been left essentially stopping mid turn before pulling away. IMO, a dangerous design flaw that's going to get someone T-boned or killed some day. Otherwise, a pretty decent truck. Some of the interior plastic is a little cheap, but it's a truck, so no big deal.

TRD Off-Road 6M
By TRD OffRoad 6M on 08/19/09 06:32 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I waited nearly two months to have the truck built with the 6speed manual...well worth the wait! Good power, good room inside, good storage behind and under rear seats. Rides very smooth. 6 speed is fun to drive.

TRD Off Road
By Dustin on 04/21/09 11:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got rid of my 02 Tacoma access cab, which I loved. Had a baby and the car seat did not fit and bought the 09 double cab TRD Tacoma. Great truck, rides smooth, almost no outside noise, plenty of leg room for driver and passenger. Comfortable for an adult in the back. So many extra features I'm not going to try and list them all. Great for towing my wave runner. I could not be happier. The only thing I have a problem with is the transmission. It could be a lot smoother, but that's only if I'm really reaching for something to point out bad about the truck.

All Smiles
By Stasch on 02/17/09 19:11 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been wanting this vehicle for the longest time. The heavy snowfall in Erie sent my wife and me over the edge and we got the Tacoma. Simply love it. Tons of room in the cab for me (I'm 6'3") and a car seat in the back. This truck handles amazing in the snow and ice. I have yet to get stuck... and I have tried! The safety features Toyota put into this truck are really impressive and allow it to handle great in all conditions. Lots of power, gas mileage is not the best, however, its much better than other trucks out there. All in all, I am very happy with the Tacoma.

Converted Ford Driver
By Butter on 08/17/08 19:01 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Had to trade in my '01 F-150 for better gas-mileage. So far, the Tacoma is impressing me. It's not as tough of a truck as I'm used to (No TRD pkg.), but the double-cab has great passenger room for a compact and the composite bed is big enough for the things I need. Got the bed-extender just in case it was too short. The 6-speed is MUCH easier to shift than the Ford. Only had it a week, but I haven't had to pull into a gas station yet!

Best Truck on the Market!
By Skittles on 08/12/08 00:18 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had numerous Toyota trucks and 4runners in my life. I have to say this truck is by far the best, hands down. The interior is very roomy and there are storage throughout. I purchased the top of the line model, TRD Offroad package, with the Bluetooth and reverse camera. AWESOME features that are new to 2009. Love the LED taillights which are essential for the reverse camera at night. I also love the new Magnetic Gray color, which puzzles me why this color was never available on Tacomas before. This truck has exceeded all my expectations and I highly recommend this vehicle to anyone in the market for a mid-size truck. The only negative is the high price.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$130 per month*