Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include comfort, and quietness. It's also easy to work on. I have performed most maintenance on my own.

Suggested Improvements

Better back up camera like the newer ones. The little "in the rearview mirror" camera is too small and takes away from your mirror view.

This truck saved my life
By jamie75

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

First off I loved this truck for the 6 weeks I had it. Gas mileage was about 20 mixed city/hwy. The seats made my low back feel better than my couch at home. Last week a guy ran a light and I t-boned him at full speed. The truck is a total loss but other than neck and back pain I walked away. I highly recommend this truck and as soon as the insurance works it out I'll buy another one.

Favorite Features

Safety and looks.

Suggested Improvements

My only complaint is the paint scratches easily.

Almost perfect, but the tranny!
By Mike

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Only had the Taco for about 2 days when I noticed the transmission responds poorly. Usually when making a left or right turn, as you slow the motor revs. If you're still rolling (less than 10mph) then accelerate, even gently, the engine revs up to 2K before clunking into second. So I've been left essentially stopping mid turn before pulling away. IMO, a dangerous design flaw that's going to get someone T-boned or killed some day. Otherwise, a pretty decent truck. Some of the interior plastic is a little cheap, but it's a truck, so no big deal.

Favorite Features

Pretty good MPG, truck bed is long enough for me, looks good, GREAT turn radius for a truck.

Suggested Improvements

Acknowledge that the tranny is a major risk factor for a collision, and then find a fix. What's with this "drive by wire" garbage? You push the gas, the engine should go, the transmission should turn the wheels. Not rev but still slow down.

TRD Off-Road 6M
By TRD OffRoad 6M

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I waited nearly two months to have the truck built with the 6speed manual...well worth the wait! Good power, good room inside, good storage behind and under rear seats. Rides very smooth. 6 speed is fun to drive.

Favorite Features

Beautiful truck, offroad package is worth the $$$.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage. I drive ~ 200 miles/wk, 100 of which are highway. Its still breaking in and I'm getting 18.5mpg. Hopefully ill get up to 20.

TRD Off Road
By Dustin

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I got rid of my 02 Tacoma access cab, which I loved. Had a baby and the car seat did not fit and bought the 09 double cab TRD Tacoma. Great truck, rides smooth, almost no outside noise, plenty of leg room for driver and passenger. Comfortable for an adult in the back. So many extra features I'm not going to try and list them all. Great for towing my wave runner. I could not be happier. The only thing I have a problem with is the transmission. It could be a lot smoother, but that's only if I'm really reaching for something to point out bad about the truck.

Favorite Features

Blue tooth, exterior design, storage under back seats, and in the bed.

Suggested Improvements

I also don't care for the interior colors that much. I don't like all the sliver around the radio.