Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

5sp Tacoma Good Value
By Frank

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Bought a 2.7 liter with 5 speed, as I commute with my truck. No need for 4x4, only raises insurance. Get very good gas mileage all around. Run 89 octane. Acceleration not too bad, although if going too slow in second gear but too fast for first gear, engine bogs a bit before rpms rise. Performance improved with a K & N filter. The bench seat is comfortable, although the center seat is ridiculous. Should have been an armrest or storage bin in center, like my 86 Toyota pickup. The stereo is not high fidelity by any stretch of the imagination, so I plan on upgrading soon. Many complaints on the blogs about 09 stereos. Recommend deflector for hood. It helps stop pebbles hitting windshield.

Drivers view from cab is good for a 4x2. Reasonably comfortable bench seat. Tilt/telescopic steering wheel is nice feature. Factory bedliner and sliding tie-downs are awesome. Rear sliding window option very useful. Limited slip differential is excellent for rear drive truck.

Get rid of the useless center seat. Replace the factory stock stereo with something better, or offer optional upgrade on base models. Intermittent wipers would be nice option on base truck, but manage without.

Best in it's class
By 18wheels

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is the best compact/midsize pickup in it's class bar none. You get the great toyota reliability and resale value that the other makers can't match. The only disappointments I have are the cheap grade of plastics that the interior is made of (it scratches easy) and the lugging of the engine while accelerating coming out of a low speed turn (about 10 mph). Other than that I love my taco.

Composite bed, high crash test scores, numerous safety features for 09 and overall design.

Make the bottom seat cushion with more side support on the bench seat. Fix the gear ratio so 2nd gear can operate at a lower speed without lugging the engine. Use higher grade plastics on the interior so it doesn't scratch so easy.