2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck on 02/09/14 17:08 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

Toyota quality?
By seanski1 on 08/08/13 15:24 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

1. On fourth radio! Replaced under warranty, all. Radio would turn on, on it's own, turn off on it's own, wouldn't turn on at all and would not shut off when needed. Toyota radio's can have issues. Talking with lady today who I shared shuttle bus home from Toyota (more on that down page) and she too experienced problematic stereo system in her Toyota. 2. Steering linkage boot torn underside of truck which apparently needed whole steering assembly be replaced not just boot cover. This also under warranty. 3.Reason for this report? Truck is an '09, with 57,000km on it and is now in shop for a new starter! No warranty left, $500 bill coming up!

2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4cyl, Manual 5spd
By n2wood on 01/09/13 08:16 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Dec 2009. Good looking truck. I have pampered truck for 48 months. Have same problems with radio as other owners - turns itself off and on in extreme cold or hot temps. Toyota appears to have resolved that problem after 2009. Just turned over 35,000 miles on odometer and clutch has started to slip. It is not operator error. I had a 1990 Toyota 6cyl, manual 5spd truck for 16 years and never had to replace anything, but starter and timing belt. Based on my google search, the problem is the clutch made in Mexico. A replacement AISIN clutch, made in Japan, appears to be reliable. Normal mpg has been 20-23 with non-alcohol gas.

Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau on 08/29/12 10:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it. I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it. My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.

General problems
By pgrazioso on 01/01/12 14:21 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our truck is three years old. There is a squeeking noise in the shocks. We had the radio replaced. Also the lights on the dashboard for the the controls. The accelerator pedal was recalled. Gas mileage is less than we expected. Now we have rust on the frame. All-in-all we expected better from Toyota.

Frame rust
By pgrazioso on 01/01/12 14:15 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

We've only had this 2009 for three years. There is lots of rust on both sides of the frame. There is also rust under the hood where the cross-bar supports the radiator. We are wondering if this is common and what people have done to solve the problem.

It's a truck
By jimc47 on 09/20/11 13:40 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Disappointed with seat height, feels like my legs are jacked up. Hard to get in because of steps. If I kept this truck I would take the steps off. Paint seems to be too soft. Has a diesel sound at times when accelerating, I think mid grade or premium fixes that. No vehicle is perfect, so these are my complaints, I am now in the process of trading it off at 23,000 miles. Resale is not as good as expected either.

Not very happy with my 3rd new 4WD Taco
By gw8 on 04/25/11 16:50 PM (PDT)

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have a more positive review earlier by GW7. Now the 3rd radio in my Tacoma is malfunctioning. It will be replaced again under warranty but I now have to question some of Toyota's quality, they just seem to want to keep replacing defective radios until the warranty expires. I have been loyal to Toyota because of reliability, but my patience is wearing thin on this issue.

09 tacoma
By ron191 on 02/28/11 17:46 PM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I have had my 09 Tacoma for almost 2 years. I will soon be ordering radio number 4 due to defects. The first two radios were plagued by volume control knobs that became unresponsive. My current radio went completely haywire with all the buttons doing the exact opposite of what they are suppose to do. Numerous squeaks and rattles in the dash and headliner have become extremely annoying. Gas mileage is not that great for a 4 cyl. In the summer, I average about 20mpg, in the winter, I average about 18 mpg. My clutch also creaks loudly, more so in the summer. I do like some of the standard features with this truck (vsc, numerous airbags, etc.

Barely a truck
By jequines on 02/04/11 10:53 AM (PST)

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Have put 50,000kms on now with not too much trouble. Stereo went dead within 2 months of buying it, dealership replaced. This truck is terribly underpowered, drove it through the mountains and I was down to 60kph in 3rd gear full throttle. Frame seems weak if I drive down a gravel road I can see the box shaking and twisting independant of the cab quite violently. Box wont hold much wieght, at 600lbs rear suspension is almost fully compressed. Truck gets awesome gas mileage and the styling is great.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Toyota Tacoma in VA is:

$128 per month*