Used 2009 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2009 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Great overall midsize
By gumpscheck

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Has been a good truck so far. Bought my 2009 TRD Off Road in March of 2010 (used). Truck had 16K when I bought, now has almost 60K. This thing is great on the highway. Much quieter than my wife's CRV. After reading these reviews, looks like the 6 speed manual was a good choice. Only problem I've had is the radio issue others have noted of turning on/off on its own. Six speed manual not the best on mpg, but tows well and off roads well.

Favorite Features

Favorite features include comfort, and quietness. It's also easy to work on. I have performed most maintenance on my own.

Suggested Improvements

Better back up camera like the newer ones. The little "in the rearview mirror" camera is too small and takes away from your mirror view.

Toyota quality?
By seanski1

2009 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

1. On fourth radio! Replaced under warranty, all. Radio would turn on, on it's own, turn off on it's own, wouldn't turn on at all and would not shut off when needed. Toyota radio's can have issues. Talking with lady today who I shared shuttle bus home from Toyota (more on that down page) and she too experienced problematic stereo system in her Toyota. 2. Steering linkage boot torn underside of truck which apparently needed whole steering assembly be replaced not just boot cover. This also under warranty. 3.Reason for this report? Truck is an '09, with 57,000km on it and is now in shop for a new starter! No warranty left, $500 bill coming up!

Favorite Features

Comfortable, well finished with nice appointments inside. Full assortment of airbags, traction control etc. This truck rides like a car, very smooth.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure I just got one of those vehicles that has issues. I'm not out to brand the brand with negativity. 3 years, or 60,000km warranty with respect to issues with starter replacement isn't acceptable in my opinion. I think it needs review and a correction.

2009 Tacoma Prerunner 4cyl, Manual 5spd
By n2wood

2009 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

Purchased in Dec 2009. Good looking truck. I have pampered truck for 48 months. Have same problems with radio as other owners - turns itself off and on in extreme cold or hot temps. Toyota appears to have resolved that problem after 2009. Just turned over 35,000 miles on odometer and clutch has started to slip. It is not operator error. I had a 1990 Toyota 6cyl, manual 5spd truck for 16 years and never had to replace anything, but starter and timing belt. Based on my google search, the problem is the clutch made in Mexico. A replacement AISIN clutch, made in Japan, appears to be reliable. Normal mpg has been 20-23 with non-alcohol gas.

Favorite Features

Appearance, comfortable.

Suggested Improvements

Clutch and radio are definitely problems with 2009 model.

Nice truck but not a keeper.
By rblau

2009 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my 2009 Tacoma regular cab with the manual transmission in June of 2010 with 13,000 miles on the clock and traded it in August 2012 with 42,000 miles on it. I loved the way the truck looked. Reliability was never an issue. My Tacoma never failed to start and never left me stranded. The 2.7 four is a great engine. I averaged about 20 mpg with it. My dissatisfaction was the result of the trucks build quality. I had constant rattling coming from the drive shaft going over bumps when the drivetrain was unloaded. The dealership replaced the driveshaft. The problem remained. Toyota said it was a known issue with the 4x4 manual regular cab. I would have to live with it. I chose not to.

Favorite Features

Great engine, decent gas mileage. Nice size and good looking. Very reliable.

Suggested Improvements

They could not have built this truck any cheaper. How much would it have cost Toyota to equip this base Tacoma with intermittent wipers? Rear leaf springs squeak like a used up old beater. A known issue but Toyota is still shipping Tacomas with this problem. The buyer is forced to bring their truck back to the dealer for a fix under a TSB. Unacceptable drive line rattle and slop. The gear ratios for the manual transmission are ridiculous.

General problems
By pgrazioso

2009 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Our truck is three years old. There is a squeeking noise in the shocks. We had the radio replaced. Also the lights on the dashboard for the the controls. The accelerator pedal was recalled. Gas mileage is less than we expected. Now we have rust on the frame. All-in-all we expected better from Toyota.