Solid truck with good mileage
By JJD on
2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)
I finally sold my '91 Toyota Pickup for a new Taco after failing to find a used 4 cyl, manual, 2wd, extended cab one used for anywhere near a reasonable price. My old pickup was still getting 35 mpg highway when I sold it at 160000 miles. But the extra cab space and comfort is great. After almost a year with the new truck I really like this truck. With a camper cap on the bed and at 69 MPH I get a solid 30 MPG on trips. Around home I still get a respectable 25MPG, although I drive with efficiency on my mind. Performance is adequate and the handling is mushy compared to my old Pickup, but the ride is much better and the interior is much more comfortable.
Favorite Features
The gas mileage is excellent for a vehicle of this size. The 6'1" bed is important to me as I sleep there camping and on long trips. Most other small pickups have beds an inch or two shorter which is real important if you want to sleep back there.
Suggested Improvements
I would like to see a a more aerodynamic hood shape. That big truck look costs me MPG. A locking gas cap would be real nice too, I can't even buy an aftermarket unit because they can't grab in the filler pipe. The paint seems soft and I already have several shallow scratches parking lots.