Solid truck for recreation
By kdburns on
2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
This truck is a tank in mud and snow. Less than a week after we purchased it, we took it out into the Owhyee Mountains. While crawling up hills though several inches of mud, the Tacoma tracked very well where other (much larger) trucks had slid off the road and torn up the brush. My Tacoma has forded many streams and climbed over rocks without developing any problems. With lots of payload (lbs) and a truck bed, I can fit all my gear, including shovels and saws, for winter camping in the truck, plus my dog's crate in the back seat. It handles surprisingly well on highway - better than my Subaru Forester. Over 16000 miles, I've averaged 20 mpg in city, highway, and off-road miles.
Favorite Features
4x4, TRD off-road, clearance, payload, reliable, comfortable seats, roomy backseat, cargo room when back seats are folded flat (perfect for a dog crate).
Suggested Improvements
Better gas millage, better "fit and finish": one rear door does not close as solidly as other three doors, window seals are noisy on highway, stereo auxiliary input, fewer "nooks" and "crannies" on undercarriage: too many places to collect mud and debris, bed outlet is useless: 400w too few