2008 Toyota Tacoma 2.7L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual 6.1 ft. Bed Consumer Review - Good truck but I still

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Review

Good truck but I still miss my '90 Toy!
By Sparky on

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this for 6 months now. Had a '90 truck, so the size of this one put me off at first, but I've adapted and my wife has to the creature comforts lacking in the '90, which is the main reason I HAD to get a new truck! We just finished a 1400 mile trip to the Eastern Sierras. A mix of freeway, hills, mountains and dirt roads. As others mentioned, fifth is pretty weak to maintain freeway speeds on steep inclines, so used 4th for that and everything was fine. As for mileage, got 27.2mpg for the entire trip. Think we could beat that on an all freeway trip to LA. Unless you really think you need 4WD, V6,A/T why haul all that extra weight around? At $4.25 a gallon it all adds up.

Favorite Features

Mileage and the bigger gas tank ('90 was only 10g) allows you to buy at the cheaper stations when you can.The composite bed and cleat system. Plenty of room in the Access Cab to stow stuff with the flip down seats. Plenty of nice features with just the SR5 pkg.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise seems high. Would like the A/C to blow a little colder than it does. 12V outlet for the Access Cab rear seats, so I can charge stuff like my tools, etc.