Never Buying Toyota Again
By perfect-storm on
2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)
I purchased my 2008 Tacoma 4x4 intending to keep it a long time as they are supposedly known for reliability. Mechanically, the truck was fine and had no issues. I liked the truck and enjoyed driving it. Fuel mileage was OK with an average of 17 to 18 mixed city and highway driving. On the highway, it would get 20mpg if you stay under 70mph. I recently got rid of the truck as the frame was rusting excessively. I have never driven it on a salted road and I did not park it anywhere near the coast. Toyota's rep was extremely condescending and absolutely refused to do anything. No treatment, no coating, NOTHING! Check toyota frame rust issues and realize the problem still exists in '08.
Favorite Features
Fun to drive and decent fuel mileage. Lots of interior room for a smaller truck. The truck won't last though.
Suggested Improvements
FRAME QUALITY!!!! Absolutely unacceptable that a 1 year old truck that has never seen salt would rust to the point of being able to chip rust flakes off of the frame. Toyota knows NOTHING about CUSTOMER SERVICE. There were EXTENSIVE frame rust issues from 95-2004. THE PROBLEM WAS NOT CORRECTED.