Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Solid truck for recreation
By kdburns

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This truck is a tank in mud and snow. Less than a week after we purchased it, we took it out into the Owhyee Mountains. While crawling up hills though several inches of mud, the Tacoma tracked very well where other (much larger) trucks had slid off the road and torn up the brush. My Tacoma has forded many streams and climbed over rocks without developing any problems. With lots of payload (lbs) and a truck bed, I can fit all my gear, including shovels and saws, for winter camping in the truck, plus my dog's crate in the back seat. It handles surprisingly well on highway - better than my Subaru Forester. Over 16000 miles, I've averaged 20 mpg in city, highway, and off-road miles.

4x4, TRD off-road, clearance, payload, reliable, comfortable seats, roomy backseat, cargo room when back seats are folded flat (perfect for a dog crate).

Better gas millage, better "fit and finish": one rear door does not close as solidly as other three doors, window seals are noisy on highway, stereo auxiliary input, fewer "nooks" and "crannies" on undercarriage: too many places to collect mud and debris, bed outlet is useless: 400w too few

First Toyota Truck
By Kevin

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is the first Toyota truck I have ever owned. I've only had it a few weeks but could not be happier. Plenty of power for passing and a very comfortable ride for a pick-up truck. The interior of the truck was set up very nicely with no gauges being blocked from your view with the steering wheel. I've seen several reviews from professional websites that claim the seating position is too low. I'm 6'2" and I say the seating position is too high. Other than that an overall exceptional truck.

Roomy interior, comfortable ride, powerful.

Should be able to adjust the driver's seat up and down.

It's a keeper
By 2mtech

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

All around solid, dependable truck. Daily driver, 75 highway miles/day. Average 20-22 MPG. Traded an '03 Dodge Dakota for it, and what a difference. Not all good, sadly. As some have said here, the brakes are horrible and Toyota should be ashamed of them. The peppy 4.0L V6 makes the 3.9 in the Dakota seem like a 4 cylinder however, with excellent torque and high end power. Ride is good... it's a truck, after all. Much more comfortable than the Dodge, and I love the dash/control layout. Once I wear out the atrocious stock Dunlop tires and replace with something decent handling will be great.

Reputation, reliability, looks, power.

Better, all around disc brakes. Drop Dunlop as stock tire supplier.

Nice, but strange things
By Lelan Warren

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

Rides very smooth, lots of power. The Limited slip diff is great fun.

MPG, Throttle, MP3s, slick bed

life long ford owner
By jim

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

First Toyota truck, have driven Ford f150s all of my 52 years, the brakes on the Tacoma seem to be some what weak, should be disc on the rear and the transmission feels like it downshifts a little hard. Like the storage space and ground clearance. Like interior of the truck. Plan on keeping this truck a long time.

All of the storage built into truck. Like the power of v6 engine.

Make the truck ride better and brake system needs to be disc on the rear axle.