Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Tough truck
By Benjamin Cedeņo

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own a Double Cab PreRunner long bed truck. I like the SR5 option package. Good mpg around 18.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior for 5. Well equipped and lots of options and accessories.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission for PreRunner.

Mileage report
By Lowsidr

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15K on it. I traded in an 89 4runner w/200K 13 mpg. The primary reason for buying a small truck was the fuel economy. Fuel prices seem to be on the rise once again, who knows what will happen in the years to come. I live in S.W. FL. and commute 20 miles each way a day. Mostly at 45 to 60 mph, mixed city driving mostly. My first tank returned 25.8 MPG! I "babied" the truck trying to keep the RPM under 2K. I did spin it up when needed. You can get great fuel economy out of this truck and still be courteous to others.

Favorite Features

The simplicity. An automatic to appease my wife, A/C because I live in S.W. FL. and a bedliner. It's all I wanted, I'll run this into the ground. The less electronic stuff to go wrong later the better. I need to add that I am 6"4 at 265lbs and I fit beautifully.... comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

Price... way high for what you get. Lets hope it lives up to it's perceived reliability.

It's HUGE!!
By nancyk

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a Tacoma extra cab previously. Bought quad cab site unseen- it's enormous! Toyota blew up Tacoma like a balloon. Love the power and room, but feel like I'm driving a dump truck. 57 y/o lady and it's much more truck than expected. Hear the vibration that others note. Drove the same model at dealer, and vibration was worse than mine. Everything else is usual Toyota quality. 23mpg hwy-comfy/roomy for husband, me & dog on long trips. We have trouble with visibility on right side. Gorgeous and feels very safe- would love to have had this when kids were young. Hope I get used to the size (mammoth- not the Tacoma I'm used to!) and hope to keep for many years as with other models we've owned.

Favorite Features

Best looking "compact" truck. Feels very safe on the road. Well designed roomy interior. Two adults comfortable in back. Decent mileage. Great acceleration. It's a Toyota- know it's going to last and last.

Suggested Improvements

Power seats and cruise control standard. As noted by others, improved braking. (Can Toyota make a quad cab and yet a little smaller?)

Disappointing first 12000 miles
By AL

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought my truck February of 08. I have a factory-installed roof rack that leaked from the drivers side rail into the cabin with only 8000 mi that took 2 times to fix. My passenger floor board had to be re-welded because of squeaking noise that sounds like metals buckling whenever I drive over uneven pavements. Oh, they have to remove my passenger side front door, my steering wheel and my entire dashboard area just gain access to that one particular spot. My new car smell didn't last but a couple of months which was replaced by the aroma of a freshly welded metals which by the way lingered for more than 3 mos. I've owned 4 different Toyotas in the past. 08 Tacoma is a disappointment.

Favorite Features

I like the smooth ride and the supposedly reliability factor that comes with the brand.

Suggested Improvements

Quit cutting corners and bring back the reliability and good reputation that gave you success and won many support of even the most critical and anti import fan.

As Advertised
By BillM

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven my truck about 36,000 miles in 10 months(outside sales w/large territory). Power and handling are excellent for a truck. Mileage stays between 21.5 and 22 with mostly highway driving. Previously drove a Colorado for 150,000 miles. Toyota power and quieter ride are a serious upgrade. Used to have to pull off the road in the Chevy to talk on the cell.

Favorite Features

V-6, smooth ride, rides higher off the ground than most small pick-ups

Suggested Improvements

Better tires and braking.