Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Love the truck, but I hate the ride!
By Robert Clarke

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First, let me say, I love the seats, the driving position is perfect, not too low for me (I am 5'9"). Brakes are amazing, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution really work. Gas Mileage is good, 20 city and 24 highway. No squeaks, tight truck. The Stock stereo is OK. Now the bad news, the ride is punishing! It is jarring even over the small bumps! My wife loves it, I am giving it to her and buying something else!

Interior layout and seats. Gas mileage. Toyota reliability and resale. Brakes. The 5 speed manual is smooth as silk. The SR 5 package adds some nice touches

Please soften up the ride a little. I know it's a truck, but other trucks I have owned rode much smoother. Maybe it is the stock Dunlops?

Dissapointed Owner
By 08Tacoma(ex owner)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

Comfortable ride.

Exterior panelings need to be in line with the high price of this vehicle. Don't build it cheap and sell it high. Need proof? Gently push on the lower cowling below the headlamps and you'll hear some squeaking noise. Also try pushing in the corner of the paneling near the headlamp you'll hear it too.

Tough truck
By Benjamin CedeƱo

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own a Double Cab PreRunner long bed truck. I like the SR5 option package. Good mpg around 18.

Roomy interior for 5. Well equipped and lots of options and accessories.

Manual transmission for PreRunner.

Mileage report
By Lowsidr

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this truck used with 15K on it. I traded in an 89 4runner w/200K 13 mpg. The primary reason for buying a small truck was the fuel economy. Fuel prices seem to be on the rise once again, who knows what will happen in the years to come. I live in S.W. FL. and commute 20 miles each way a day. Mostly at 45 to 60 mph, mixed city driving mostly. My first tank returned 25.8 MPG! I "babied" the truck trying to keep the RPM under 2K. I did spin it up when needed. You can get great fuel economy out of this truck and still be courteous to others.

The simplicity. An automatic to appease my wife, A/C because I live in S.W. FL. and a bedliner. It's all I wanted, I'll run this into the ground. The less electronic stuff to go wrong later the better. I need to add that I am 6"4 at 265lbs and I fit beautifully.... comfortable interior.

Price... way high for what you get. Lets hope it lives up to it's perceived reliability.

It's HUGE!!
By nancyk

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Owned a Tacoma extra cab previously. Bought quad cab site unseen- it's enormous! Toyota blew up Tacoma like a balloon. Love the power and room, but feel like I'm driving a dump truck. 57 y/o lady and it's much more truck than expected. Hear the vibration that others note. Drove the same model at dealer, and vibration was worse than mine. Everything else is usual Toyota quality. 23mpg hwy-comfy/roomy for husband, me & dog on long trips. We have trouble with visibility on right side. Gorgeous and feels very safe- would love to have had this when kids were young. Hope I get used to the size (mammoth- not the Tacoma I'm used to!) and hope to keep for many years as with other models we've owned.

Best looking "compact" truck. Feels very safe on the road. Well designed roomy interior. Two adults comfortable in back. Decent mileage. Great acceleration. It's a Toyota- know it's going to last and last.

Power seats and cruise control standard. As noted by others, improved braking. (Can Toyota make a quad cab and yet a little smaller?)