2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan on 08/02/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan on 07/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

My only vehicle
By John on 07/14/08 13:52 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have owned dozens of vehicles, including five 4x4 trucks. I've had Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Jeep and Land Rover, some new, some not. My 2007 Tacoma 4x4 double cab beats them all hands down. By far the best stock 4x4 I have ever driven, let alone owned. I highly recommend this truck as a primary vehicle, especially if you like to take it out into the hills frequently like I do. I put a ToyTec 3" lift in front and 1.5" add a leaf in back. This truck rocks!

Nice Truck!
By Paul on 07/14/08 06:33 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toyota Truck, but have owned several Toyota's (I was a Toyota Master Tech years ago). I bought with the SR5 package (which is a MUST), aluminum wheels, and a factory hitch. If you want to buy the stripped version, drive the SR5 first, trust me. I installed a factory Toyota RS alarm also. This truck is the perfect size. My 1990 was a little small, but this one is perfect.

Poor fit and finish
By tdaprez on 07/04/08 19:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The fit and finish is not close to the Toyotas I have owned in the past. I have gap differences of more than 3.2mm side to side. The paint has a lot of "orange peel." Toyota's position is that they are all the same and the Tacomas have "textured paint, since that is the type of paint they use." When was the last time you heard "texture and car paint" used in the same sentence? Make sure you check the fit and finish very carefully before you buy, since Toyota will provide no help after the sale.

Best Truck of 2008
By Mounir on 06/22/08 14:40 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking for a truck that can accommodate my family and my household items, and I did find it. My toyota Prerunner is the one. I trade my old Toyota 1995 to the one I have now. Now I own the most reliable and valuable truck. It is the smartest move I have made this year. It is the best buy if anyone consider a truck for a special needs.

Excellent Little Truck!
By Tommy on 06/12/08 16:30 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I purchased this "mini-taco" 03-22-2008 as a way to downsize and conserve. Couldn't be happier with this truck. It is the 4x4 regular cab, the smallest tacoma. What a great design, big on features. Driving mildly, now averaging 23-24 mpg overall. Thats not great but consider its a 4x4. It handles the road much better than the older generation. The steering radius is another pleasant surprise. The performance is better than expected. The 4cyl engine will really move if you want it to. I did get the SR5 package which gives the reg cab truck bucket seats. Very comfortable and supportive. Many cup holders, using the 2 on the rear of the center console for reserve water bottles.

Good truck but I still miss my '90 Toy!
By Sparky on 06/06/08 13:02 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this for 6 months now. Had a '90 truck, so the size of this one put me off at first, but I've adapted and my wife has to the creature comforts lacking in the '90, which is the main reason I HAD to get a new truck! We just finished a 1400 mile trip to the Eastern Sierras. A mix of freeway, hills, mountains and dirt roads. As others mentioned, fifth is pretty weak to maintain freeway speeds on steep inclines, so used 4th for that and everything was fine. As for mileage, got 27.2mpg for the entire trip. Think we could beat that on an all freeway trip to LA. Unless you really think you need 4WD, V6,A/T why haul all that extra weight around? At $4.25 a gallon it all adds up.

Best truck I ever owned
By Cody on 06/03/08 20:10 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I got this truck about a week ago after being on deployment in Afghanistan for around 7 months and am loving every second with it. It's fun to drive, and surprisingly good on gas. It's a gorgeous truck, and I have gotten many compliments on it. I got the TRD Sport Package, and the added hood scoop gives the truck a tough, offroad look. The 4 wheel drive is more than capable, and it rides really well on the street. The included Bilstein Suspension, makes potholes and bumps feel pretty much non existent. I don't think I could be more pleased with it, and look forward to driving it for 10 or more years, since of course it is a Toyota.

Great investment!!
By My BABY! on 05/29/08 08:08 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this truck as my 5th Toyota, I've had 2 4Runners, a rav4, and a camry. Not to include my families trucks. I drove 3 different models of Tacoma before purchasing mine, all different engines. I settled with the 6 speed manual. I love it to death. I've had it for six months and have nearly 7000 miles on it. I take it on trips often from Augusta, GA to Conway, AR. It does great! It is amazing off road, better than all the other Toyotas I've driven so far. Handles and climbs great. My dad and uncle went and purchased after me. They have automatics though. They love them.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.