Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Best Midsize Truck Anywhere. LOVE IT!!!
By Siafu

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I love my Tacoma. It has been a great vehicle. It has been reliable and has accomplished every goal that I have set for it. A superb automobile.

Favorite Features

Engine. I love this engine. Great torque.

Suggested Improvements

It could do with some more comforts, ie. leather, roof, navi. I would like it if it came with a little more options and would like it if it was more readily available in 4wd in my area. It was not easy to find.

Tundra's Little Brother
By myname150

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This really is a great truck, I have used it for hunting & fishing and some off-roading. I have the 4.0L V6 PreRunner & which ever one is the 4-door. I absolutely love it. Used to own a Dodge ram 1500, and I'm glad I got a Tacoma, though I wish I had gotten a Tundra. Pros: Good & Powerful 4.0L V6, Somewhat good fuel economy (depends on how you drive, as with every other vehicle), Great off-roader even though it's 4x2 (just no mudding or something of that sort), I got 0-60MPH in about 6.5-7 Seconds. Cons: Side Curtain air bag became standard on 2009 model, iPod connection became standard on 09 model (big deal for me), Somewhat jumpy if you don't have any load.

Favorite Features

-The Biggg 4.0L V6, lots of power! -In my opinion, this truck is overpowered -Stock radio and speakers sound nice, compared to the ones in my old RAM.

Suggested Improvements

-Should have made the Side airbags standard on the 2008 model -Same goes for the ipod connection, I'd like it more if it came standard, living in a city (Houston) where the FM frequencies are clogged, makes using an FM transmitter useless and (or) unusable.

Love the truck, but I hate the ride!
By Robert Clarke

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First, let me say, I love the seats, the driving position is perfect, not too low for me (I am 5'9"). Brakes are amazing, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution really work. Gas Mileage is good, 20 city and 24 highway. No squeaks, tight truck. The Stock stereo is OK. Now the bad news, the ride is punishing! It is jarring even over the small bumps! My wife loves it, I am giving it to her and buying something else!

Favorite Features

Interior layout and seats. Gas mileage. Toyota reliability and resale. Brakes. The 5 speed manual is smooth as silk. The SR 5 package adds some nice touches

Suggested Improvements

Please soften up the ride a little. I know it's a truck, but other trucks I have owned rode much smoother. Maybe it is the stock Dunlops?

Dissapointed Owner
By 08Tacoma(ex owner)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this truck Feb 28,2008. I traded out of it with 17,000 mi Jan 1 2009. The front passenger floor board area was "creaking" whenever I drive over an uneven surface. They re-welded a joint that somehow came apart with only 13,000mi. My roof leaked because of a defect on the factory- installed roof rack (took them 3 times to fix). They replaced the outside seal around the windshield because it was making a "whistling noise" at 75 MPH. Truck wouldn't start sometimes and they couldn't figure out why. I just gave up on it and let somebody else worry about what else could go wrong with it. GOOD BYE TOYOTA FOREVER!! It's the end of an era.

Favorite Features

Comfortable ride.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior panelings need to be in line with the high price of this vehicle. Don't build it cheap and sell it high. Need proof? Gently push on the lower cowling below the headlamps and you'll hear some squeaking noise. Also try pushing in the corner of the paneling near the headlamp you'll hear it too.

Tough truck
By Benjamin Cedeņo

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I own a Double Cab PreRunner long bed truck. I like the SR5 option package. Good mpg around 18.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior for 5. Well equipped and lots of options and accessories.

Suggested Improvements

Manual transmission for PreRunner.