Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

Favorite Features

A real truck that doesn't drive like one. Great power for a V6! Roomy interior (I have the "Access Cab" model) with comfortable seats (I have the "SR5" with option package #2).

Suggested Improvements

This truck needs standard iPod and satellite radio adapters. I had to purchase and install an aftermarket iPod/satellite radio interface. Better quality tires and rims should be standard. The factory standard Dunlop tires are garbage and the standard rims look like they came off of a trailer!

Nice Truck!
By Paul

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

This is my second Toyota Truck, but have owned several Toyota's (I was a Toyota Master Tech years ago). I bought with the SR5 package (which is a MUST), aluminum wheels, and a factory hitch. If you want to buy the stripped version, drive the SR5 first, trust me. I installed a factory Toyota RS alarm also. This truck is the perfect size. My 1990 was a little small, but this one is perfect.

Favorite Features

SR5 package. I drove a base model, and the SR5 just feels better. I don't really have a valid explanation for it. I love the Sand color and the beige inside. It's not real common, but looks great.

Suggested Improvements

I would have liked a little more power, but I did buy the 4 cyl because of fuel mileage. I have a rattle in the drivers rear access door, but I've been lazy about getting it fixed. I will pretty soon.

Poor fit and finish
By tdaprez

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

The fit and finish is not close to the Toyotas I have owned in the past. I have gap differences of more than 3.2mm side to side. The paint has a lot of "orange peel." Toyota's position is that they are all the same and the Tacomas have "textured paint, since that is the type of paint they use." When was the last time you heard "texture and car paint" used in the same sentence? Make sure you check the fit and finish very carefully before you buy, since Toyota will provide no help after the sale.

Favorite Features

Good ride. Great V6 and auto transmission.

Suggested Improvements

Need to work hard on improving the fit and finish. Seems to be a problem on most that I have checked.Looks like a lot out there. Quality made Toyota #1 and poor quality will quickly make them no better than the rest. The premium you pay should insure the quality expected from Toyota.

Best Truck of 2008
By Mounir

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have been looking for a truck that can accommodate my family and my household items, and I did find it. My toyota Prerunner is the one. I trade my old Toyota 1995 to the one I have now. Now I own the most reliable and valuable truck. It is the smartest move I have made this year. It is the best buy if anyone consider a truck for a special needs.

Favorite Features

Comfort.

Suggested Improvements

May be adding bluetooth capability. GPS system, better dashboard with feature such as six compact CD system, and navigation system

Good truck but I still miss my '90 Toy!
By Sparky

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

We've had this for 6 months now. Had a '90 truck, so the size of this one put me off at first, but I've adapted and my wife has to the creature comforts lacking in the '90, which is the main reason I HAD to get a new truck! We just finished a 1400 mile trip to the Eastern Sierras. A mix of freeway, hills, mountains and dirt roads. As others mentioned, fifth is pretty weak to maintain freeway speeds on steep inclines, so used 4th for that and everything was fine. As for mileage, got 27.2mpg for the entire trip. Think we could beat that on an all freeway trip to LA. Unless you really think you need 4WD, V6,A/T why haul all that extra weight around? At $4.25 a gallon it all adds up.

Favorite Features

Mileage and the bigger gas tank ('90 was only 10g) allows you to buy at the cheaper stations when you can.The composite bed and cleat system. Plenty of room in the Access Cab to stow stuff with the flip down seats. Plenty of nice features with just the SR5 pkg.

Suggested Improvements

Road noise seems high. Would like the A/C to blow a little colder than it does. 12V outlet for the Access Cab rear seats, so I can charge stuff like my tools, etc.