Used 2008 Toyota Tacoma Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:

Good not Great
By Vantrader

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Overall, a good truck, but not great like I'd thought it would be. Anti- lock brake system makes a "doosh!" sound when the vehicle is initially started and begins to move. Brought it to the dealership and was told it was the brake system doing a "self test", hmmmm. Annoying more than anything else as it was a 30k vehicle. Find myself keeping the tranny in D4 around town as it is quick to upshift into the highway gear but slow to downshift. Should have gotten the limited slip option as it slips pretty easy in loose gravel or greasy hard-top after a rain. Have not towed with it yet but have used the bed and it performed well.

Best looking mid-size out there, period (are you listening Nissan/Chevy/Dodge?). Lots of torque present but tranny is slow to respond especially at higher gears. Brake pedal way too close to the gas pedal, my size 10 shouldn't come close.

Change tranny for more high end torque, limited slip standard (think this was changed in 09). Get the brake away from the gas pedal!

56K miles down, 944K to go!
By Tango6

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Yes I do expect a million miles out of this truck. I bought it just before I retired from the Army. I used it in the field transporting troops and gear, daily driving around town, and hauling a lot of gear across the country. I change my own oil every 5K miles(Toyota filter & Mobil 1). I've added a K&N air filter and a tri-fold toneau cover. Took a trip up to New Mexico and checked the mileage. I got 24.8 mpg. This included highway & city driving as well as a lot of hills. The truck is very comfortable for cross country trips. In addition to changing my own oil, I change my own spark plugs. Maintenance on this truck is easy due in part to accessibility. It also has tons of great storage!

Great tie down system in the bed. Great storage area under rear seat. Huge console storage and door storage lets me keep plenty of stuff at the ready. Has great 360 degree visibility for driving.

Make the tailgate lock standard. I used an aftermarket after no dealer had a truck with one. Cup holder between gearshift and console needs to be bigger. Maybe offer a power sliding back glass. Not much room for improvement on such a great truck.

Love it
By jeff

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

Love the truck for the price. Got the base model with automatic. No complaints. Would have been nice if Toyota would have added wiper delay as part of the BASIC package like almost everyone else. That part is annoying. Have bench seats. Would have liked bucket but like I said I got the base model. It was priced lower than any other truck in its size. And hey it's a Toyota. It will run forever. Nuff said

new body design was a major plus

Put more in basic package like tilt and delay wipers.

It doesn't get better than this
By The Tom

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 1 year old truck used at a dealer. It gets 18 plus mpg. The access cab area doors open. It has way more room than my 98 Tacoma. It is quiet. It commutes well. Composite bed is genius. My 98 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota in 6/07, for a defective rotted frame. I was heartbroken. This truck purchase is quickly easing my pain.

5 speed auto. tranny. Composite bed. Torquey 4.0 liter V-6. Access cab doors open!!

It has the same cold weather dash rattle as my 98? You gotta be kidding me!!

Great truck
By Ricky

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have had this truck for two years now. Great truck. Very comfortable to drive. Good power when pulling boat. Had to have windshield trim replaced. About 20mpg. Very happy with this truck.

Very comfortable to drive and plenty of power.

Sound system not the greatest.