2008 Toyota Tacoma - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
A Little Disappointed
By Ward on 10/08/08 15:44 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

This is my third Toyota. Although I have been sold on the overall quality of Toyota, I am somewhat disappointed with my present truck. I get vibration in the steering wheel between 55 and 70 MPH. After three trips to the dealership and replacement of two tires,I still have the vibration. Now the metal framework in the seatback on the driver's side is coming out through the fabric. The A/C fan motor would only work on high speed (resistor replacement required). The transmission shifts rough, the door speakers buzz when the bass is turned on step 5 (volume is only at medium). My best gas mileage so far is 20.2 MPG (hwy). Did I mention I only have 5200 miles since purchased new.

TRD Sport
By Brian on 09/26/08 13:56 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I was starting a job, and I knew I would be driving a lot of miles, so I went with the Tacoma. I live in Northern California, and like to go camping, and snowboarding. I went with the TRD Sport 4x4, and it drives like a car. No body roll, or jarring bounces like other trucks. Very smooth ride. I used to drive a Volvo, which is notorious for having the most comfortable seats, and the comfort factor is very similar in the Tacoma. It has tons of interior storage space, and is very well laid out. I also installed a new exhaust system, and it gave me an almost 20% increase in MPG. 17 to around 19 city, and 19 to 23~24 hwy. Overall, incredibly pleased, and would buy again.

Update
By Western Plainsman on 09/23/08 09:37 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 2dr Regular Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

After 14,000 miles, the mileage @ 70 MPH is now up to 24 MPG. That's satisfactory for a 4x4. Pickup is smooth and the bench seat okay on long trips. Don't care for the Dunlap tires; they're smooth, but sure don't have the quality of Michelins. I added a factory cruise control and 2 factory 'D' ring tie-downs to the front of the bed. This little rascal ought to come stock (or at least available) with intermittent wipers & cruise. It rides & handles just fine. For a basic 4x4 under 20 Grand pickup, I don't see how you can beat it. Tight, no rattles, easy to do maintenance, pretty dog-gone good ride. I'm a bear to satisfy...and I'd buy this one again in a second!

Got Clutch?
By Got Clutch? on 09/21/08 18:46 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Double Cab 4WD 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this vehicle for about 9 months, put 10600 miles on it so far. And just lost my clutch. Luckily my friend with a ram was following me and could tow me to a safe place. I'm disappointed. EXTREMELY! I had a rav4 before this which had the tranny drop in it. I just figured it was the luck of buying a used car. I bought new this time in hopes that it would be more dependable... not so much. I take long trips and take my truck off road. I can't be breaking down in the middle of no where when i don't have reception. I would suggest the tacoma... but good luck.

Solid truck with good mileage
By JJD on 09/20/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I finally sold my '91 Toyota Pickup for a new Taco after failing to find a used 4 cyl, manual, 2wd, extended cab one used for anywhere near a reasonable price. My old pickup was still getting 35 mpg highway when I sold it at 160000 miles. But the extra cab space and comfort is great. After almost a year with the new truck I really like this truck. With a camper cap on the bed and at 69 MPH I get a solid 30 MPG on trips. Around home I still get a respectable 25MPG, although I drive with efficiency on my mind. Performance is adequate and the handling is mushy compared to my old Pickup, but the ride is much better and the interior is much more comfortable.

One truck to beat
By JC on 08/18/08 19:59 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I looked around and it did not take me long to make a decision in buying this vehicle. I have encountered the same difficulty in clearing my leg from the steering wheel when entering the cabin but in general, Toyota you have come a long way in design and performance in this category. Fuel mileage should improve.

Research pays off
By duckhunter on 08/17/08 11:36 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I have recently purchased '08 Prerunner TRD offroad 4 door, and so far I love it. Just replaced a '04 Titan and have gone from about 10 mpg to 19, and kids have more room to boot. I live on a mountain, and travel it, as well as others, everyday. Truck has plenty of power and is averaging 19.8 mpg! This is my first non 4x4 truck, and hoping that the rear locking differential gets me out of those occasional mess ups. Have found that dry, rocky conditions are no issue for this 2wd, nor is steep, lose gravel roads. Highly recommend this truck if you need to re-up on a truck and gas mileage important.

Tacoma rating
By chopper on 08/10/08 04:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma PreRunner V6 4dr Double Cab 5.0 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

Although a bit pricey, the Tacoma offers reliability, performance, and is economical to operate for a truck. It pulls a load well, within its capability, although fuel mileage suffers with a loaded trailer. When I trade again, I will opt for the longer bed for convenience. I get over 21 MPG with my Tacoma. Some of the increase might be attributable to having a cab high fiberglass topper and a "cat-back" TRD exhaust system along with a K&N air filter. All in all, it's a great truck !

A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan on 08/02/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan on 07/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Toyota Tacoma in WA is:

$150 per month*