2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Consumer Reviews 2

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab - Consumer Reviews

2008 Toyota Tacoma 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

View reviews for a specific Tacoma model:
It doesn't get better than this
By The Tom on 11/05/09 16:10 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 1 year old truck used at a dealer. It gets 18 plus mpg. The access cab area doors open. It has way more room than my 98 Tacoma. It is quiet. It commutes well. Composite bed is genius. My 98 Tacoma was bought back by Toyota in 6/07, for a defective rotted frame. I was heartbroken. This truck purchase is quickly easing my pain.

Best truck on road
By Kristen Ohler on 08/30/09 22:22 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I owned a 1990 2 wheel drive Toyota extra cab for 18 years. Best vehicle I ever owned. I sold it with over 300,000 miles on it. I wanted a 4 wheel drive new p/u. I love this pick up more than any vehicle I have ever owned or driven. It is a fast and good looking p/u. I love the stereo system/cd player. It has a lot of pick up and contrary to reports I've read my pick up is very quiet. I've had no problems at all in the 14 months I've owned it. Although the running boards look great, they are in the way trying to get into and out of the p/u. I would never own any other kind of mid- sized truck besides the Toyota. To me it is the best truck on the road. Bar none!

Oh what a feeling!
By Mr. Brown on 08/17/09 03:42 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 5A)

I used to have a '93 Toyota pickup, 5 spd manual with the 22RE engine that I loved. Put 24k miles on my '08 so far and no major complaints. The SR5 4.0L V6 has more than ample power. Roomy interior. Gated automatic shift lever does not have locking button so that the lever can shift at anytime if it is accidentally bumped. The downshifts could be smoother and less often, but aren't that big a deal. Wish I'd gotten the stick shift instead, but at the time I wanted to try an automatic after 15 years of my old truck. Love the suicide rear doors on the access cab. But rear seating is cramped and should only be for short trips or kids.

Love the truck, but I hate the ride!
By Robert Clarke on 05/03/09 20:38 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

First, let me say, I love the seats, the driving position is perfect, not too low for me (I am 5'9"). Brakes are amazing, Brake Assist and Electronic Brake Force Distribution really work. Gas Mileage is good, 20 city and 24 highway. No squeaks, tight truck. The Stock stereo is OK. Now the bad news, the ride is punishing! It is jarring even over the small bumps! My wife loves it, I am giving it to her and buying something else!

As Advertised
By BillM on 12/22/08 14:34 PM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab PreRunner V6 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have driven my truck about 36,000 miles in 10 months(outside sales w/large territory). Power and handling are excellent for a truck. Mileage stays between 21.5 and 22 with mostly highway driving. Previously drove a Colorado for 150,000 miles. Toyota power and quieter ride are a serious upgrade. Used to have to pull off the road in the Chevy to talk on the cell.

Nice, but strange things
By Lelan Warren on 11/07/08 08:34 AM (PST)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

Great truck, this is my 5 Toyota. But with the 6 speed manual the throttle does strange thing. When you are stopped the RPS are ~ 900 when the truck is rolling and not in gear the RPM go up by them self to ~ 1300? When you are moving in gear and you let off the gas the throttle does not close very fast, it feel like it closes part of the way then in 2 sec it shuts completely. All of this I think hurts the gas mileage 16-17. May be the auto would be better. Yes the cd player need to play MP3s and the 4wd low in trick (but when you learn to push the clutch first it is fine) and the stock tires are low grip. One more thing the plastic bed is very slick. I still like this truck.

It's a Truck
By King Zhong on 10/13/08 05:58 AM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the truck in Greenville, SC. Moved 2 kayaks, boating & camping gear, coolers, etc., from our van into the truck at the dealership. My son and I headed off into the NC mountains in search of whitewater. The 4x4 system worked great. The truck had enough room for our 2 week trip. The double doors made the Access cab useful. The cab has great storage areas.

Solid truck with good mileage
By JJD on 09/20/08 20:55 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

I finally sold my '91 Toyota Pickup for a new Taco after failing to find a used 4 cyl, manual, 2wd, extended cab one used for anywhere near a reasonable price. My old pickup was still getting 35 mpg highway when I sold it at 160000 miles. But the extra cab space and comfort is great. After almost a year with the new truck I really like this truck. With a camper cap on the bed and at 69 MPH I get a solid 30 MPG on trips. Around home I still get a respectable 25MPG, although I drive with efficiency on my mind. Performance is adequate and the handling is mushy compared to my old Pickup, but the ride is much better and the interior is much more comfortable.

A nicely equipped truck for under $20K
By tacodan on 08/02/08 20:12 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4dr Access Cab 6.1 ft. SB (2.7L 4cyl 5M)

The 4-cyl 5-speed manual trans combo is well matched. When you get on it, the power is very impressive. I am getting a consistent 24-27.5 MPG. Handled a large 7ft sofa and a tall chest of drawers with a hitch. The area below the dash and the steering column is small for people with large feet. Cabin is a bit noisy at highway speeds when crosswinds are strong. No frt tie-down d-rings as in the rear. HUGE BOO-BOO. The truck drives like a car for comfort on long trips. All the power accessories work well and are well designed. OEM spkrs chintzy. GREAT A/C with very adjustable vents. Adjustable lumbar a great feature. Changed oil today, easy, just have a cap style filter wrench.

After 8 months I'm still satisfied!
By TacoMan on 07/20/08 12:03 PM (PDT)

2008 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab V6 4dr Access Cab 4WD 6.1 ft. SB (4.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my truck almost 9 months and 10,000 miles ago, and I must say that I am still very happy with it (unlike my last pick-up truck, a which was a 1999 Ford Ranger)! I have driven it between Florida and Upstate New York a number of times, and except for disappointing highway gas mileage (around 18-20 MPG), I generally have no complaints. I bought the truck without the towing package (a $600 dealer option), but I installed a top of the line trailer hitch and wiring for less than $200! I had no problem towing a 5000 lb. boat/trailer! I also didn't get the overpriced TRD option, but the truck is still great off-road!